Thoughts please: gameplanning / predicting opponent tactics

MMATycoon

When I was talking about my guessing tactics, I didn't mean setting the new tactics, I just meant setting your own current tactics.

Right now you set your sliders based on what you think your opponent is going to do but if they could be doing different things every round, you're not going to be able to predict it well enough. You could think your opponent is going to "go for takedowns in round one so i will stay back and counter". But actually your opponent does exactly the same thing as you.

When you have whole fight tactics, you at least know the opponent will have a general gameplan to try and win the fight and you can try and counteract that. Whereas round by round I think we'd have too many situations where people try and over think things and we'd end up with very odd tactics up against eachother, making for frustrating fights where you go "urgh, this whole round's tactics are worthless now".

Round by round allows for more varied / extreme sets of tactics for each round but if we have a situation where A is a good tactic if he does B but a stupid tactic if he does C then it becomes far too much about luck.

It just ends up being too much about luck and essentially you'd have people winning fights like a high stakes version of rock paper scissors.... Your sliders wouldn't be any better or worse than your opponent, you just happened to pick the scissors for round 1 instead of round 2. I hope that makes sense.

Lol I feel the highlighted section about most of my fights now

I meant based on my sliders not the engine lol. The only thing that drives me crazy about this current engine & carrying the same sliders throughout the whole fight is I can tell in most fights who's going to win by the end of the 1st round. Most of my fights I don't even read on pbp past the 1st round anymore cause I'm either like "yes, I'm golden" or "fuck, I got mauled"

One thing I have considered for a while which would only require one slider and would negate that as an issue, would be a "go early ----- go late" slider, whereby you would use your energy / aggression early vs late. You wouldn't be able to tell your relative setting compared to your opponent so there would be more jeopardy there.

• Upvote 2

That might be interesting because it'd still cause the effect I'm looking for I think. The 1 thing that drives me crazy is the equality throughout the fight with 1 set of sliders. If my fighter is 67 counter & my opponent is just walking him down, MY HOPE would be that my corner is telling him that the guy is doing too well coming forward, you have to try backing him up. But you can't do that in this game really.

I think it'd also be cool if it somehow tied into intelligence/heart/confidence. Like a low heart & confidence guy would ignore his corner & not adjust & not throw still.

I think it would be really nice to have something like this, but i also think you might get lost in probabilities very fast.

lets say in the system, as it is at the moment, you got a chance x to land a strike to the head.

x might be influenced by your boxing and mt primarie, your striking, your physicals and all the relevant variables of your opponent as well. Now you can set your sliders in a way you think they would increase x. For example high accuracy, less then 100% headpunches aggressor/counter and so on.

Thats pretty complicated allready or in other words its hard to predict how and if a change in lets say head/body-punch will affect my total number of headpunches landed (because the more headpunches you throw the more you can land, but the ratio of hit/non-hit decreases).

If you add another set of sliders (the ones to predict your opponents gameplan) you might get some more factors to account when guessing x for optimizing the amount of landed headpunches.

Their might be some interactions of sliders with sliders and values and interactions with interactions and so on. i think it would be really hard for me to figure out how things are connected.

If you figured out how things work ofc this is a very powerful tool, but im not sure if we can ever leaf the treshhold with our belief-models :)

So it might be more random than educated choices.

But since i dont know how the new system will look like all this above is just guessing (more random than educated most likely).

Also i think its very hard to work out the desired model as well as coding it.

Anyway im up for it. Lets try it out :D

Im just wondering does that "suprise factor" still excist after this update?

Does this mean that you can go 100% takedowns and be succesfull if your opponent doesent quess?

Or does this mean after your opponent starts to know what you are doing, the surprise factor is back in the game?

Im just wondering does that "suprise factor" still excist after this update?

Does this mean that you can go 100% takedowns and be succesfull if your opponent doesent quess?

Or does this mean after your opponent starts to know what you are doing, the surprise factor is back in the game?

If it's a total surprised compared to past stats / opponent prediction, you'll be much more likely to land a takedown early, before it becomes apparent what you are doing. Of course, once you get to round 2 and 3, you're a bit buggered :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think this new proposition would allow the more intelligent fighters to have more of an advantage, which they should in my opinion, but there'll also be a distinctive advantage early in for fighters who have high confidence. Pertaining to Goldenape's perspective, the fighter who is less confident is the one whose gameplan is changed the fastest due to being hit, even if they have a solid jaw.

Heart obviously factors in as well but the opportunity to predict your opponent's gameplan will technically allow a fighter a far better chance of establishing success early in the fight, therefore making points in decision fights that much more vital.

The element of surprise would be emphasized with a fighter who's known as a striker but suddenly goes for takedowns,and vice versa. Lastly, the collective of the fighters' skills still ultimately decide the outcome. If a fighter has massive KO power, even if the opponent knows said fighter will head hunt, predicting that may allow the fighter to last longer early in the fight, but if the fighter is caught cleanly, that KO power kicks in regardless, based upon skills and physicals.

Mike: Perhaps presenting the predicting sliders as an option will be more appealing, particularly to beginners. Similar to "Easy Mode", beginners can be presented with more Click Boxes until they feel comfortable enough to switch from "Easy Mode" and take a chance at the more "Advanced Mode".

Predicting tactics is live!

I am not sure about some things - if I only want to predict some of my opponents tactics is that possible? Or does me tweaking one or two of the new sliders instigate the whole set of sliders as my predictions - for example if I was to leave the single-shot/combo slider where it is will the game engine think I am predicting 100% combos, if I have altered one of the other sliders?

EDIT: I like them though - very simple (once we figure them out!) Not working on mobile devices as yet but..

EDIT EDIT: No predicting on the ground - re gnp or subs. Will that happen later?

You can't predict just part, no. Once you predict one slider, you need to do all of them.

Ground wise, I think it would be too much complexity for what wouldn't really make a lot of difference to your success rate.

I've had it pointed out to me today that we don't have a phone friendly version; sorry about that, forgot all about it! I'll get that done as soon as I can.

I like the idea of being able to predict my opponents gameplan for a bonus, but don't know how I feel about the potential to still get a bonus if I dont pick at all.

In my opinion it should be pick your opponents sliders correctly and get a slight intuitive bonus, pick incorrectly and get a slight negative bonus, don't pick at all and get nothing.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of being able to predict my opponents gameplan for a bonus, but don't know how I feel about the potential to still get a bonus if I dont pick at all.

In my opinion it should be pick your opponents sliders correctly and get a slight intuitive bonus, pick incorrectly and get a slight negative bonus, don't pick at all and get nothing.

where does it say you could still get a bonus if not picking at all? -- i must of missed it -- i thought it would go off your fighters intelligence and based on your use of shig slider

This new addition could kill the recently created one trick pony fighters but IMO that is not a bad thing. It's MMA after all.

^^ 100% this. I dont get why on earth would one get a bonus for not picking it?!