NBA 2014/2015 season

Mentor

I'd say opinion is split honestly, he has some behind him but many detractors.

I'm on board for a few reasons....

1. My other teams with the exception of the Eagles seem to lack a plan in the front office or have in the recent past & completely baffle me with their decisions. At least Hinkie has a plan & has stuck to it despite all the backlash.

2. I don't think they had much choice but to rebuld. Andrew Bynum f'd our org up royally. We planned a team centered around him & 3pt shooting. We added perimeter shooters like Dorell Wright/Nick Young/Jason Richardson & when Bynum never played a game, we were left with a buncha guys who couldn't dribble penetrate nor create their own chances. Then Evan Turner's contract was ending & he was putting inflated stats on a bad team so we would've had to overpay him to keep him. Hawes contract was up & he wanted 3-4 yrs at 10+ mil per, he wasn't worth that money & was injury riddled.

3. His first move crushed me because Jrue Holiday was my favorite player on the team, but since we decided to rebuild, he was too good of a player to be bad enough to pick top 3 in a draft where if you were gonna be bad you wanted Wiggins/Parker or Embid so we flipped Holiday for Nerleans & what became Dario Saric.

4. Thad didn't wanna be here anymore so we traded him in the Love 3 team deal for a 1st round pick.

It's hard for me to argue with what he's done. I'm nervous about the injury risks ESPECIALLY after the Bynum mess but if we hadn't picked 3rd last year we would've taken Parker or Wiggins. The lottery didn't favor us, he could've avoided Embid cause of the risk but with where their team is at right now I understand why he didn't pass on him too

Anyone remember when the 76'ers drafted Payton and then traded him to the Magic for this kid, a 2nd round pick in 2016 and a 1st round pick in 2017???? Remember when we got killed for that move??? I have a feeling all the critics will have a different view on that situation when all is said and done.

I dont remember anyone saying the 76ers made a bad deal. The magic forum i read was about 90% against that deal as a vast overpay. But the Magic got the guy they want and Paytons strong play(for a rookie pg) and vast potential seems to be winning the fan base over now.

Major news, the Lakers won. It took us over time and a triple double for Bryant to get it though.

2. I don't think they had much choice but to rebuld. Andrew Bynum f'd our org up royally.

Funny enough the Bynum thing is what screwed up the Lakers as well because they traded away what was at the time probably the #2 center to get Howard which left in a year. Obviously if we would have kept him and he got injured it would had been the same scenario.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Poor 76ers :( They try so hard to tank for high lottery pick, but looks like Knicks will beat them...and that's the only thing Knicks can win atm. Before the season started I said they will be between .400 and .450 record at the end...now I doubt they will rech .300

Question for today: Will 76ers be ranked higher then Knicks when season ends?

I doubt it Victusify, they have a new coach & a new system they seem to be rebelling against but they still have some talent on that team.

The 76ers play really hard for Brett Brown but they're impotent offensively. MCW can only score from 3ft or closer. Noel's offensive game is very limited. KJ McDaniel & Jerami Grant are defensive stoppers who really only score in transition. They have that guy from the d-league who has been playing well & knocking down shots right now but they just have a hard time scoring points.

They'll end up around 8-10 wins & I don't see NY being that bad. I'd put them at maybe 15-17 wins

I doubt it Victusify, they have a new coach & a new system they seem to be rebelling against but they still have some talent on that team.

The 76ers play really hard for Brett Brown but they're impotent offensively. MCW can only score from 3ft or closer. Noel's offensive game is very limited. KJ McDaniel & Jerami Grant are defensive stoppers who really only score in transition. They have that guy from the d-league who has been playing well & knocking down shots right now but they just have a hard time scoring points.

They'll end up around 8-10 wins & I don't see NY being that bad. I'd put them at maybe 15-17 wins

I hope it wasn't knock on KJ, because I got on that bandwagon lately. I love to watch this kid. Only reason I lately watch 76ers games :D

When it comes to Knicks, they are looking to me like a team that is too dumb to realize how bad they are, so they believe they are good...I mean, you need proper people to run Triangle, it doesn't work with everybody. Plus they are lately losing another game - health game. Im not sure which one of those team will be dead last this season, but I would favor 76ers in a race to 10 wins. Because they play as they pretty much used to so its just matter of catching teams on back-to-backs or hoping they will rest some players against Philly (Like Spurs did agaist Knicks. Its funny, it was 2nd and 3rd unit of Spurs against Knicks...and Knicks still lost by 14...that's just sad), so they can scrap those 10 games. And Knicks are pure lottery. It depends on Melo - if he can shoot lights out, they may win. If he's cold as ice, then they will be blown out. I just hope Calderon will start to play better on daily basis, I need him for my fantasy team :x

Definitely not a knock on KJ. I am also a big fan of his really. I am a really big fan of MCW too. I kinda hope we don't trade him but I know the front office isn't overly high on him because Hinkie is an analytics guy or whatever that shit is called. According to his "system" you get your points at the rim, the free throw line and the 3 pt line. The mid-range jump shot is dead in his eyes. So MCW does a really good job at getting points at the rim, but he only shot about 70% from the foul line last year. And only shot 32% from the floor on baskets from further than 3 ft away from the basket. So Hinkie will look at him as in-efficient.

He likes the long defenders on the wing though. I mean I imagine he's still hoping that KJ will develop more of a jump shot than he has now but all these guys will be given opportunities to play minutes and grow

Golden state are on FIRE! I mean they have been fantastic at times this year and they are doing it without their so called "all star" PF David Lee. Andrew Bogut is out at the moment though and that probably wont do them any good. They won their first game without him against Houston.

I also think that Curry has to be in discussion for MVP if he can keep this up. I remember 2 years ago he was not voted into the All Star game and i thought that was ridiculous. Anthony Davis is having some really crazy numbers this year, i am not sure i remember anyone having those type of numbers. I mean he is a 25+ pts, +10 reb's, 2 stls and 3 blks! He is a top 5-6 in every category besides assists!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, but Davis won't be MVP. Pelicans would have to win around 50 games and we know that's not possible this year :/ Sucks to see that being on bad team counts you out of MVP race, even if clearly you deserve to be at least in a race for it :/

And overall - going back to the rumor about 76ers - how real is possiblity that league will take them away from Philly? Can they really do it, based on the fact that team isn't perfoming well (kinda...nice way to call 76ers season...)?

Yeah, but Davis won't be MVP. Pelicans would have to win around 50 games and we know that's not possible this year :/ Sucks to see that being on bad team counts you out of MVP race, even if clearly you deserve to be at least in a race for it :/

And overall - going back to the rumor about 76ers - how real is possiblity that league will take them away from Philly? Can they really do it, based on the fact that team isn't perfoming well (kinda...nice way to call 76ers season...)?

About the 76ers i do not think that is possible. It has more to do with the financials than if they are performing or not. If performance was the main concern they would have had a different type of layout for the league more similar to how the EU leagues work.

Davis wont do it, but it is unfortunate because the Pelicans are actually not that bad, simply you have 6-7 teams in the west which are simply awesome. The thing with Davis is that he is not at all selfish either, i get the feeling that if he wanted to get really massive numbers (in particular scoring), he could do it. I think he probably wont win the award this year, but they should at least put him in the debate. With Durrant losing the early part of the season and Lebron having arguably his worse season for the past 6-7 years, the MVP needs to be someone else. Some people say Marc Gasol, but i would never have him that high up the list. I am not even certain he is the best Center (and lets face it, that position is easily the weakest) in the league, let alone the best player.

• Downvote 1

When it comes to M Gasol, he's really good and plays on prolly best team in the NBA. If you look at Memphis, this team on paper is probably 60win team easily. But for some reason they won't reach that level. Still, 50+ wins shouldn't be a problem for them. That helps him to be in race for MVP - as you said, Durant was out, LBJ isn't on top of his game, Davis won't count because of his team...that opens a way for Gasol to sneak into that talk. Right situation for him to get that MVP award, but we will see as the season go on.

They're not taking them out of Philly. That city is a huge market & there is too much money to be made.

A few years ago the Phillies were pulling in 3 million fans a year in attendance & had the highest viewership of any local TV rating in all of baseball. When your city has that kind of drawing power for your team, they don't take ur team off you lol

They're not taking them out of Philly. That city is a huge market & there is too much money to be made.

A few years ago the Phillies were pulling in 3 million fans a year in attendance & had the highest viewership of any local TV rating in all of baseball. When your city has that kind of drawing power for your team, they don't take ur team off you lol

So unless fans turn on the team, 76ers will stay in Philly? o:

So unless fans turn on the team, 76ers will stay in Philly? o:

I would say the fans are already against them quite honestly dude. I am certainly in the minority in supporting Hinkie and the front office. I think there are a lot of mixed opinions but the majority of them are probably against tanking or whatever you want to call it. The NBA won't take the team from Philly because the market has too much potential to make money when the fans have a reason to get behind the team or a player.

For example: Here is there attendance back in the first 10 yrs of Allen Iverson's career. (who was a fan favorite & a big draw)

76'ers:

1996-97 41   626,478 15,2801997-98 41   655,417 15,9861998-99 25   436,444 17,4581999-00 41   756,929 18,4622000-01 41   805,692 19,6512001-02 41   842,976 20,5602002-03 41   807,097 19,6852003-04 41   788,128 19,2222004-05 41   732,686 17,8702005-06 41   677,278 16,518

The stat in the middle is total attendance and the stat on the right is average attendance per night. This is also back in an old stadium, we haven't really been a competitive team since they got rid of the Spectrum.

Knicks:

1996-97 41   810,283 19,7631997-98 41   810,283 19,7631998-99 25   494,075 19,7631999-00 41   810,283 19,7632000-01 41   810,283 19,7632001-02 41   810,283 19,7632002-03 41   779,479 19,0112003-04 41   785,739 19,1642004-05 41   800,144 19,5152005-06 41   776,176 18,931

Lakers:

1996-97 41   697,132 17,0031997-98 41   691,994 16,8781998-99 25   430,007 17,2001999-00 41   771,410 18,8152000-01 41   776,336 18,9352001-02 41   778,877 18,9972002-03 41   777,888 18,9722003-04 41   777,757 18,9692004-05 41   770,494 18,7922005-06 41   774,189 18,882

Chicago:

1996-97 41   978,453 23,8651997-98 41   983,517 23,9881998-99 25   560,012 22,4001999-00 41   907,064 22,1242000-01 41   888,654 21,6742001-02 41   776,311 18,9342002-03 41   804,303 19,6172003-04 41   809,177 19,7362004-05 41   828,384 20,2042005-06 41   868,720 21,118

Detroit:

1996-97 41   820,585 20,0141997-98 41   794,567 19,3801998-99 25   444,585 17,7831999-00 41   678,470 16,5482000-01 41   607,323 14,8132001-02 41   760,807 18,5562002-03 41   839,278 20,4702003-04 41   872,902 21,2902004-05 41   905,116 22,0762005-06 41   905,116 22,076

So when you look at some of the biggest cities in America and the drawing power those markets have, Philadelphia is pretty comparable. And those 76ers teams with Allen were never really "championship contending" teams IMO. They had a very good team with a superstar they could get behind & they came out to watch them. So even though they might not be going to the games right now due to this team being awful. The potential is there & you can't just take a franchise and stick it in any old city in America & have the ability to sell that many tickets. That's the reason the team won't leave Philly. $$$$$$$ makes the world go round

Splash Brothers killed my Mavs today in Q1...that was sad to watch...

But going back to more relevant topics. Before the season started I thought we may see 60 wins team in the east (in Bulls). Then season started and for a short while I thought we may have 2 teams with 55+ (Bulls and Raptors), but now...Im not sure any of those will reach 55 Ws. What you think? Atm Toronto is 17-6 but DeRozan is our for around a month at least, Chicago is 14-8 and deals with a lot of health problems too. Is one of those teams capable of reaching 55 wins this season? Being in the east should help it, since you play 52 games against the eastern teams, so if you can win 2 games against Jazz, T-Wolves, Lakers and Denver (which I think team like Bulls should be able to do it) its 8 wins already. Then you may get 1 from Phoenix, OKC (maybe even 2 if you had a chance to play them early in the season) and you still have teams like Houston, Dallas, Portland or Clippers - which are team capable of beating you, but at same time you can beat them so count 1 win for those too. It gives you min of 14 wins against the west, lets round it up because I think Bulls are capable of going .500 against Western teams. That leaves you with 40 out of 52 wins against East. Is it really that unrealistic for Bulls or Raptors? Injuries messed them up, but Bulls are now 4-5 against West, so close to .500 and Raptors are 7-2, so way above .500. Last year it was Miami and Indiana that ended up around 55 wins. Are Bulls and Raptors next two teams to do it this year, or not? Who in your opinion is most likely to end up around that 55wins result at the end, because 60 is unreachable in the east I guess (to reach 60 wins in the east you would have to win 20+ against West).

I would throw Wizards into mix, to reach 55 wins. They are doing good right now, but I still may be a little biased, because I like their players and I see them as fun team to watch - but at the same time, they can be a hard team to beat for anybody, right?

So when you look at some of the biggest cities in America and the drawing power those markets have, Philadelphia is pretty comparable. And those 76ers teams with Allen were never really "championship contending" teams IMO. They had a very good team with a superstar they could get behind & they came out to watch them. So even though they might not be going to the games right now due to this team being awful. The potential is there & you can't just take a franchise and stick it in any old city in America & have the ability to sell that many tickets. That's the reason the team won't leave Philly. $$$$$$$ makes the world go round

To be honest, the attendance thing is not really a good indicator. Most the money is likely not coming from attendances these days. also if you take it that way, the attendance levels is pretty much the same for all NBA teams as it is limited to the size of the arena's. I am pretty sure some of the bigger teams could have much higher averages if their stadium's were bigger. I mean the Bulls have over 20k why? Simply because their stadium fits more people, if NY had a larger arena the average would be higher, simply Basketball arena's are pretty limited to how many fans they can fit due to the small court. I do not think any basketball arena in the world fits 30k+. If lets say we take all NBA teams is there any team which has an average less than 15k over a period of 10 years?

To be honest, the attendance thing is not really a good indicator. Most the money is likely not coming from attendances these days. also if you take it that way, the attendance levels is pretty much the same for all NBA teams as it is limited to the size of the arena's. I am pretty sure some of the bigger teams could have much higher averages if their stadium's were bigger. I mean the Bulls have over 20k why? Simply because their stadium fits more people, if NY had a larger arena the average would be higher, simply Basketball arena's are pretty limited to how many fans they can fit due to the small court. I do not think any basketball arena in the world fits 30k+. If lets say we take all NBA teams is there any team which has an average less than 15k over a period of 10 years?

Is there enough people willing to pay for Knicks games? .-. I feel bad for season ticket holders atm, they paid big money for those and in return they got...2014 NY Knicks...I doubt bigger arena would get them better average, because there is simply nothing to watch during their games, unless they play Chicago, Cavs, Miami or someone big from the west.

I have said it for years, Philly fan are fickle. You don't win, you don't get their support. It feels like a city full of bandwagon fans and it kills me because I think the players deserve better.

I guess a lot of people call us fair-weather fans & I'm perfectly okay with that quite honestly. If my team doesn't appear to be making an effort to win then I see no reason to spend my money to go watch them. Now, I think it depends what your interpretation of trying to win is. Back in the 90's to early 2000's, the Phillies were not willing to spend money. So if a hundred million dollar organization isn't willing to get off their wallet, why should little old me be willing to get off mine to go watch them?? You had players like Curt Schilling and Scott Rolen who were willing to stay here if the team would show them they were committed to trying to win games and because of that expectation we ended up trading guys or letting them leave via FA. It wasn't until there was a power struggled and different decision makers took control that the team started making an EFFORT to win. Them signing Jim Thome was like the first sign that things were going to be different. So despite the fact that we've broken our own rules and organizational philosophies and gotten ourselves into bad contracts in an effort to get that 1 more guy to bring another championship to the team (ex. when they won the division on '07 the front office said we had a 5 yr window with these guys, we're in year 7 or 8 now and are still committed to players for 2-3 more years / they used to only give 3 yr deals to pitchers). The fact that team still had a 170+ million dollar payroll to ME says they're committed to winning. They made bad decisions & put us in a bind, but it was all in an effort to win. So I have no problem supporting them despite this rough stretch.

Before this started w/ the 76'ers they were a 6-8 seed pretty much. For a lot of fans, the fact that you have a playoff team is good enough. Anything can happen if you're in the dance they say. I personally don't believe that in the NBA. I think usually the best team wins a 7 game series in this league. That's not to say that some teams may not match up well against a given team but usually you can tell a pretender from a contender pretty easily. So if there are Philly fans who are turned off by the fact that we "purposefully" went from a playoff team to the joke of the league, I can't say that I blame them at all. If they don't want to spend their money to go watch this team with the "effort" they perceive the front office is giving, I say more power to them. Voice your displeasure. I am a basketball fan, so I can easily enjoy the rest of the league and not have to watch the 76'ers super closely. I keep my eye on them & watch some of their games to evaluate the talent because I understand what Hinkie is trying to do and am on board with it. But it's painful to watch if I'm being honest and I am definitely in the minority in this city on being on board w/ this plan. I stated my reasons earlier why I am on board, and most of it is because I don't really feel like we had much choice after the Bynum shit. So I am excited about the prospect of what the future MIGHT look like if some of these guys can stay healthy. But I also understand the mindset of those who are absolutely furious over what we're doing.

I don't mean to derail this thread because I know it's the NBA thread haha but the frustration that I have w/ my Phillies front office right now isn't their commitment to trying to win. I just question their competency level. After all the talk about the Phils being the favorite to sign Y. Tomas & then not signing him....Amaro Jr. came out and said "We don't need a bat. We need more pitching."

WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!??????? We finished 24th in the league in batting avg. / 25th in the league in on base % / 23rd in the league in runs scored but we don't need a bat??? We need like 8 fucking bats you moron. And if we really need pitching, my big question is, why in the hell are you trying to trade your best pitcher???

Kobe just surpassed Michael Jordan to 3rd All-time in scoring.

Meh. I feel like that was the only reason he is still playing. He doesn't have anything left to prove and he knows his team won't be any good for the next few years at least, so he is only in it to try and break records.