NBA 2014/2015 season

Mentor

Cavs got different version of Waiters, which also won't pass the ball to others. Shumpert will most likely go down with another injury...I still think they should've take Dalembert. They need a big man and Dalember is always better than no one :/

New updated popped on NBA TV FB page, saying that there is a rumor that Cavs got Timofey Mozgov from Nuggets for 2 first round picks. Which is...weird. Especially lately Mozgov really plays badly...last 30 days for him its 6.3ppg with 7.0rbg on...32.6% FG...so they traded picks for bench center, because at this point Thompson is way better option for them. Only reason for that trade IMO is that Blatt coached Mozgov when he played for Russian national team, but if thats the only reason for that trade...well...Cavs not only got JR Smith, but also lost picks they could use to improve the team...

Not sure Mozgov is worth 2 first rounds picks, even on a Cavs team which is expected to be doing well these next 2 years. I think Mozgov is a borderline starter, depending on the team. I think that they could have gotten a better option than that. I see he is on 4,525,000 per year. I mean for that amount of money they could have traded with the Lakers for any combination of Sacre, Boozer, Davis. Davis has better numbers than Mozgov, he is younger and over 50% from the field. Boozer was a starter all his life and is on a reduced contract, scoring over 12 pts per game and about the same level of rebounding.

• Downvote 1

I change my mind, 76'ers finish ahead of NY. Knicks get #1 pick

I told that before - I favor 76ers to win 10 games first xD NY Knicks are total joke...you saw those fans in paperbags? xD

Most ridiculous thing right now in the NBA is a fact that Klay Thompson, who is easily second best SG in the league won't make it to all star game - even to the bench, but Kobe will start...I love the concept of letting fans vote for who they want to see, but All Star Games are shit nowdays, when you have Kobe STARTING for the WEST and you have a forward who thinks about NOT playing for the rest of the season starting for the East.

Jon Jones goes to rehab and still retains his title, Larry Sanders gets suspended 10 games without pay, Sanders probably wishes he was in UFC not the NBA.

Most ridiculous thing right now in the NBA is a fact that Klay Thompson, who is easily second best SG in the league won't make it to all star game - even to the bench, but Kobe will start...I love the concept of letting fans vote for who they want to see, but All Star Games are shit nowdays, when you have Kobe STARTING for the WEST and you have a forward who thinks about NOT playing for the rest of the season starting for the East.

I'm kinda on the sidelines with Kobe being in the All Star game now. At first I was right there with you on it, but even though he has some character issues(who don't though) he has been a huge part of the NBA for 19 years now so I say give the man his dues. He can still play just his body is holding him back. But I agree 100% Klay should be there as well.

I'm kinda on the sidelines with Kobe being in the All Star game now. At first I was right there with you on it, but even though he has some character issues(who don't though) he has been a huge part of the NBA for 19 years now so I say give the man his dues. He can still play just his body is holding him back. But I agree 100% Klay should be there as well.

Its 2015. Kobe plays like shit. How can he be all star this year - since all star suppose to be for the best CURRENT players? He's not even average player this year (I don't mean average by numbers, I mean average by how he plays on the court)

• 1 month later...

So, we are getting close to the playoffs and since the start of the season i would say my view on who would win it has changed a lot. This is pretty much the most open league in years. I did not think the Warriors would be this good, considering the change in manager as well. At this point i would say they are probably my first pick to win it. I actually think Memphis are probably the toughest team in the league to beat, i watched them beat the Clippers and Blazers in the past 2-3 days and they are grinders for sure with an old school style which is executed to the highest level. I think the Spurs have been figured out, they have finally started to show their age, in particular Parker and Ginobli. I most certainly do not expect them to be in the finals again. From the East i have not watched enough games, but i see Cleveland is finally getting it together. Atlanta and Toronto are probably the only 2 teams with big success against the West.

Anyway, who do you see as the favorites now?

• Downvote 1

So, we are getting close to the playoffs and since the start of the season i would say my view on who would win it has changed a lot. This is pretty much the most open league in years. I did not think the Warriors would be this good, considering the change in manager as well. At this point i would say they are probably my first pick to win it. I actually think Memphis are probably the toughest team in the league to beat, i watched them beat the Clippers and Blazers in the past 2-3 days and they are grinders for sure with an old school style which is executed to the highest level. I think the Spurs have been figured out, they have finally started to show their age, in particular Parker and Ginobli. I most certainly do not expect them to be in the finals again. From the East i have not watched enough games, but i see Cleveland is finally getting it together. Atlanta and Toronto are probably the only 2 teams with big success against the West.

Anyway, who do you see as the favorites now?

I'm a big fan of the Warriors but I don't really care for their chances of coming out of the West very much. I hope they do well though. The NBA regular season and playoffs are like two totally different games though really. That's why the Suns almost always struggled because a lot of that "run 'n' gun" type stuff doesn't really work in the playoffs. The game just slows down and becomes way more of a half-court game and I think their lack of a rim protector and a presence in the post really hurts their chances at advancing too far. The fact that they are a really solid defensive team maybe will help them do better then I really see them doing. My favorite to come out of the west right now is probably the Grizzlies. But I by no means think that Spurs are figured out or out of it yet. You can never really judge that team on the first half or so of the season and they've had a lot of injury issues this season (which maybe that's what holds them back) but Patty Mills is an important piece to that team off the bench and has played 25 games. Slitter is pretty important piece and has played 32 games. Leonard is their best player as far as I'm concerned and has missed the beginning of the season. I think he's at 38 games. Parker has only played around the same amount of games as Leonard. I think they'll have a really strong 2nd half and look like 1 of the favorites before the end of the year. I really think the Thunder could do well too if Durant comes back healthy. I actually liked the depth they got from some of the trades they made.

In the east my favorite was the Bulls until Rose just went down. I though adding Gasol was really going to pay off big time for them in the playoffs because I knew he still had some game left in him. He averaged like 19 and 11 last season once Dwight and Bynum were out of his way. Those two being their over an extended stretch made him have to play more of a "stretch 4" and though he's good enough to do it...that was never really his game and that made his numbers drop for a few seasons. Now I would have to say Cleveland should be the favorite. I thought it would take them a season of finding chemistry like it did the Heat before they were able to win, and I thought the East was good enough to keep them from making the finals that first season. The trade they made really helped their team though and they've been playing really well & I would have a hard time favoring the Hawks/Raptors/Wizards against them in a 7 game series. The Wizards could be dangerous because Nene and Gortat can both score inside and they have Wall and Pierce who can make big shots. I'd give them the best chance against Cleveland in a series probably but they've really struggled lately. I also really was liking the Heat until Bosh went down. I think that Whiteside or whatever is name is that came out of nowhere is really a huge find for that time and was a game-changer and then the trade they made getting Goran could've made them an interesting team too. But I don't really give Heat or the Bulls any chance now.

I had the same view about the Warriors and their style, i guess a lot depends on Bogut staying healthy for the whole playoff run, he is thier only real inside defensive presence. I do agree about the Grizzlies though, they are a very tough team to beat because as the games go on, they simply grind you down. They get most their shots close to the basket and in close games that is where you need to get the ball. In the case of the Spurs i think they are looking the most vulnerable in years, but as you said the playoffs are a different type of game and experience matters there. Maybe even Dallas can do well due to their depth, we will see.

I do agree about the Cavs, the trades have most certainly helped them out a lot. They basically have 2 starters from those trades and did not loose much besides Waiters, i am not sure he was the right fit for this team anyway. I have not gotten to see enough of the Hawks and Raptors, but the 3 games i have seen them, they were very sold. I guess it will be between those 3 with the Bulls being the outsiders. With Bosh out i doubt the Heat can be an impact.

• Downvote 1

The Hawks could be an interesting series if they play the Cav's because they're not the greatest defensive team, though much improved since the trade. And the Hawks play pretty much exactly how the Spurs played last season, they're coach was an assistant under Popovich for many years and they move the ball ridiculously well. The last guy to touch the ball is usually the open guy and that's who takes the shot on that team. I don't get to see much of the Raptors either.

The main reason I don't count the Spurs out is because they're "star" players aren't really the guys who always carry that team anymore. What made them sooo good last year was the depth they had off their bench, and they have pretty much the same team as last season. So far during this season though a lot of those role players haven't been there for them which is why I think they've struggled a bit. Especially because Popovich probably is still resting his older players the same way he always does despite that.

I'm in on the Grizzlies right now because they seem like such a tough out almost every year but have never broken through to make the finals & since the league seems so open this season I could just see this year being the year they finally bust through. I will probably be rooting for the Warriors to make it out of the west but I just think inevitably they run into a team that does what the Clippers did to them last season and just out-rebound them in a landslide. And all those 2nd chance opportunities combined w/ not getting many 2nd chances of their own will end up being their downfall.

The 76'ers actually have a long-time assistant coach from the Spurs as well & my hope is that someday our ball movement and "team" play is very similar to the Spurs & Hawks. I'm starting to worry though that our coach is going to be gone before we bring any talent in for him to coach though. I know Brett Brown signed a 5 yr deal on purpose so that he would have time to grow w/ the organization but we'll be in year 3 next season and still haven't really started to accumulate a whole lot of talent on our team yet.

You have Embiid and Noel though. If you could switch one of them to be real PF, you have young and limitless frontcourt. Of course, as long as Seventy-Picksers doesn't decide that they want to tank more...KJ and MCW went away because of that reason. MCW may not be great PG, but Im pretty sure there is not much better they could get at this time then him. I would say go for this draft and get someone - then try to actually get better with guys you have. If they decide to tank next year, NBA should freakin force sell of that team and move them somewhere else. It gets ridiculous, how long can you tank like that? :/

You have Embiid and Noel though. If you could switch one of them to be real PF, you have young and limitless frontcourt. Of course, as long as Seventy-Picksers doesn't decide that they want to tank more...KJ and MCW went away because of that reason. MCW may not be great PG, but Im pretty sure there is not much better they could get at this time then him. I would say go for this draft and get someone - then try to actually get better with guys you have. If they decide to tank next year, NBA should freakin force sell of that team and move them somewhere else. It gets ridiculous, how long can you tank like that? :/

KJ going really pissed me off until I read somewhere that he was on a 1 year rookie contract (which i guess isn't uncommon for 2nd round picks) and had no intentions of re-signing with us

MCW trade I am just whatever over. Hinkie is a stats geek (analytics) and MCW does not fit into the type of player he looks for in anyway really. So I think deep down I always knew that he wasn't going to be part of this team in the long run. I guess I don't really understand why though we moved him for what we moved him for? The Lakers pick is protected top 5, they're almost surely going to pick inside the top 5 which means the picks gets moved to their 1st round next year.

This draft is supposedly not very deep, and we have potentially 4 1st round picks (our own, Thunder "top 18 protected we got from the McGee trade" the Heat's "top 10 protected" and i forget the last 1) but what do we want 4 1st round picks for this year? It's likely that we really only end up w/ 2 due to the protections and stuff and would end up w/ more picks next season. Maybe the draft is gonna be better? I dunno....I'm just a little baffled by that move really. If the Lakers drop to 6th and we pick like top 3 and then 6th, maybe that would make it an okay trade but I was just sorta eh over that move.

To me it was more about Hinkie knowing MCW wasn't in the long-term plans and he wanted to make sure we really sucked to finish out the year

But again - out of curiosity - how long can they keep doing that? How long will they do before league steps in and says "Start doing your shit right, or we are shipping you on Supersonics' plane straight to Seattle"? There has to be a point when the NBA steps in and do something...I can't believe they won't at some point.