I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

Me either if college tries to fuck me over again haha. Got rejected by Caladonian but there's a good chance I'll get into college in Paisley. If I'm over there I might bus it to Glasgow to try out the shit in Grip.

Are you doing jiu jitsu in there? If so, what "MMA celebs" have you got rocking around? That's the Dinkee Ninja home so I'm sure you've got a couple of familiar faces kicking your arse haha

Hahaha mate, why do you think I stick to the "fundamentals" classes and avoid the "intermediate" classes? Highest ranked fighter I've ever seen at the gym is probably Joanne Calderwood, looking at the UFC rankings she's the number 11 straw weight in the world.

Just started the Jits there, did 2 sessions but have been training other stuff for a few months.

Awesome shit mate. I'd say there's nothing better than having a technique you like the look of, practising it and then executing it in a proper competition.

In my non jiu-jitsu martial arts training I'm just getting more and more into "being able to think". Instead of just going naturally and stuff, I've started to notice a couple of things like how I'm easily able to manipulate people's movement and direction to open up my shots and stuff. Even though we don't specifically train stuff like that and it's more of a self defence martial art, I'm liking trying to use little ideas like that to get the edge over people.

Although if I have the hear the sensei and his clueless knowledge of MMA say things like "Why don't they just counter that MMA takedown with a guillotine choke?" one more time, I'm gonna explode. Yes sensei, they fucking know about the guillotine, and furthermore, no, you can't just stand there and choke them. I mean he's completely trashing all of these martial arts and yet he won't have any idea about things like the difficulty to finish a guillotine in half guard and stuff. Just annoying when it's something you're really into.

• 2 weeks later...

Aw shit! Bout to test for my blue belt on March 31!!!!! Also ADCC nationals are coming fairly close to where I live so I'm thinking of signin up. I'll probably get my butt kicked just being a fresh blue belt (If I pass) in there with 3-4 yr bluebelts, but I might get lucky LOL

941088_1035693969821559_5197216304513081

This thread has been a great read to see the progress of you going from being a complete newbie to winning comps. Kind of like a mini blog.

Aw shit! Bout to test for my blue belt on March 31!!!!! Also ADCC nationals are coming fairly close to where I live so I'm thinking of signin up. I'll probably get my butt kicked just being a fresh blue belt (If I pass) in there with 3-4 yr bluebelts, but I might get lucky LOL

Isn't having tests for belts kind of go against everything the IBJJF stands for? In my experience you get a belt in BJJ when you earn it through showing how competent you are in training, sparring and competition not have an instructor watch you perform a certain number of moves and grade you.

• Upvote 2

This thread has been a great read to see the progress of you going from being a complete newbie to winning comps. Kind of like a mini blog.

Isn't having tests for belts kind of go against everything the IBJJF stands for? In my experience you get a belt in BJJ when you earn it through showing how competent you are in training, sparring and competition not have an instructor watch you perform a certain number of moves and grade you.

Most schools still test, especially for blue actually. Generally they want to make sure you understand the concept of what BJJ is all about, our tests include a section where you talk with the black belt that founded our club and its affiliates. That's the part that is usually the pass/fail portion honestly. Asks you why you train, what you hope to accomplish over your jits journey etc etc. There's obviously a technique portion but from my understanding that's not quite as important oddly enough. Which is good because during it I rolled with that black belt and he steamrolled for 5 minutes and talked shit the whole time "C'mon Chuck just pass my guard, I'm an old man just do it." I was certain I was going to fail.

I have seen a few times now that guys have failed their blue and purple tests but then in a few months time they will receive them as we bow out of class, I think those happen when the person had been told they had something(s) to work on and have made an effort to fix the issue.

941088_1035693969821559_5197216304513081

Give it try buddy, why not? You have nothing to lose, worse case you'll find some holes in your game and get to fix those areas.

I went to IBJJF NOGI Worlds last year 2 and a half months after I got my blue and totally surprised myself. I got beat by the #1 guy in my weight class by points (he won so many tournaments last year the jerk but I was the only guy to take him the distance lol) and he exposed a massive hole I had in my game. Half guard on the bottom, and I've actively closed that issue since.

I might've even posted that embarrassing video in this thread somewhere.

Most schools still test, especially for blue actually. Generally they want to make sure you understand the concept of what BJJ is all about, our tests include a section where you talk with the black belt that founded our club and its affiliates. That's the part that is usually the pass/fail portion honestly. Asks you why you train, what you hope to accomplish over your jits journey etc etc. There's obviously a technique portion but from my understanding that's not quite as important oddly enough. Which is good because during it I rolled with that black belt and he steamrolled for 5 minutes and talked shit the whole time "C'mon Chuck just pass my guard, I'm an old man just do it." I was certain I was going to fail.

I have seen a few times now that guys have failed their blue and purple tests but then in a few months time they will receive them as we bow out of class, I think those happen when the person had been told they had something(s) to work on and have made an effort to fix the issue.

In the UK from the schools I've been to its more a case of once you become that level you are given the belt but then again in the UK the IBJJF allow purple belts to grade someone from white to blue and brown belts from blue to purple and so forth because a few years ago there was 1 BJJ Black Belt in Scotland and maybe 5-8 the rest of the UK.

• 2 months later...

Just scored my second "street gogoplata" :D.

First time, I was hammered. Drunken jiu jitsu, 16 stone out of shape big bro on top, easy gogoplata.

This time, my best mate. Started just messing around, not sparring or anything. He kind of grabs the back from standing and leans me back of balance. I end up sitting, kind of grabbing his leg to spin (likely giving up my neck). I'm waaaay too focused on the straight leg lock finish. Completely gave up mount but my legs are essentially the size of him (not that he's not also a brown belt in martial arts but not this type). I get back to half guard and look for the leg lock to no avail. I switch to guard and bring the leg over. He noticed something is happening but he doesn't watch MMA so he doesn't really know what. I get the foot over his arm and across his face. I don't have it anywhere near under the chin, but I think if I squeeze I might end up there. Instead, he taps. Afterwards he says it absolutely killed his jaw in the 2 seconds it was in and afterwards felt like he had whiplash for a minute.

Crazy that I have NO concept of what it actually takes to properly apply the move, I didn't have it in the right place...and it's still ridiculously painful. Such a killer move.

The fact that I broke down me and my mate fucking about doing jiu jitsu on the kitchen floor shows how much I'm into it haha. For some reason I'm ridiculously negative and always take the bottom position though. I think it's cause I know my leg size / flexibility is going to be a big asset, where as I'll probably be the novice on the top that I am anyways.

Fun shit.

• 1 month later...