UFC 189: Chad Mendes vs. Conor McGregor Pick'em

kenlow73

I was actually shocked by that to be honest, I havn;t seen the post press conference but normally he's a cocky smug bugger in post fight but he seemed thankful and ALMOST humble. I was expecting arrogance overdrive and some crowd celebration but I was wrong.

Yeah, me too although I wasn't completely surprised. McGregor seems to be an emotional guy and you could see clearly that he was relieved and satisfied that all the hard training had worked off. I don't mind seeing some smack talk before fights at all, but hate it when it continues after a fight. McGregor, Mendes, Lawler, Rory were all classacts and they will have won over neutral viewers for sure. A great day for the UFC and the fans.

you guys who think conor is disrespectful and shit - man he is just doing what he can to get in the head of the opponent before the fights. have you never read any miyamoto musashi?

once the fight is over, like virtually all fighters, the respect and admiration for the opponent is there. all that talking before and during, that's to wind em up and get em off their centre.

i believed in conor. i think he'd beat frankie and aldo pretty easily too now. he can sure take a punch.

• Upvote 2

you guys who think conor is disrespectful and shit - man he is just doing what he can to get in the head of the opponent before the fights. have you never read any miyamoto musashi?

once the fight is over, like virtually all fighters, the respect and admiration for the opponent is there. all that talking before and during, that's to wind em up and get em off their centre.

i believed in conor. i think he'd beat frankie and aldo pretty easily too now. he can sure take a punch.

i think frankie could be a decent fight for him -- he showed last night his takedown d isnt that great and i think frankie will grapple him smarter than chad did

Man ...Rory tried ..just that Lawler has his match ...he got banged up I hope to see Rory back soon ready to beat his next few opponents before his next shot

Man ...Rory tried ..just that Lawler has his match ...he got banged up I hope to see Rory back soon ready to beat his next few opponents before his next shot

i was actually really surprised he didnt try to take it down more -- he only tried one takedown that i remember -- in the first fight that was what made it close and he just abandoned it all together in this fight

Bwang you beat me to posting it, he is just talking crap before to hype the fight and himself, and to get in the other fighters head.

I do think he would KO Edger, but I do think Edger is fast enough and very good at takedowns that he would make a fight of it. The only thing I seen that would be bad with Aldo is how low Coner keeps his hand. He needs to work on keeping them up. But no denying he is an exciting fighter!

i was actually really surprised he didnt try to take it down more -- he only tried one takedown that i remember -- in the first fight that was what made it close and he just abandoned it all together in this fight

Yeah surprised he didn't I guess he wanted to try to show off his improvement in his stand up striking and standup game altogether..

.but got out powered... And busted up ....

I'm just really ashamed with the Conor thing but o well guess he proved he deserved the chance to face José now....I just would've thought chad would've kept the ground thing going considering he made conor bleed from his ground and pound but instead he got gassed and sat there and let conor just hit him with his strikes ...

I think a lot of him not doing as much is the short amount of training time he had. I know he is in good shape but that is a lot different from training for a 5 round fight. You could tell he was gassed even when he was on top of him, he started out throwing those nasty elbows that cut Conor open but later it was more laying and trying to catch his breath with some weak hammer fists from guard. Once he was gassed it was just a matter of time before he got KO'ed.

Shit my picks stink. Only 4 correct picks. Anyway what a card it was man.

Mendes/McGregor: As a huge fan of TAM, I am not happy indeed with the outcome but McGregor did put up a good striking clinic. Spinning kicks to the body, straight lefts, uppercuts, all on point and powerful. Chad was able to hit him with some good shots but McGregor really can take a punch. Mendes' wrestling won him the match but it's his only hope and he just too tired and getting blasted standing up. I don't see him going through the third round without the stoppage.

Robbie/Rory: Greatest fight this year. Robbie started slow and fighting smart. Landing some good straight punches in second round and not being sluggish as before. Robbie was winning the third round before Rory hurt him with head kick but never came close to finish because we know Robbie has an underrated chin. Rory still going in the early forth round but Robbie was hanging tough. Rory's face was busted up already but I still think he can win the title if he can keep the pressure on in the final round but Robbie just got the job done. I believe Robbie's strikes in second and third round started shutting Rory's eyes and hurting his nose. Robbie survived and resumed his attacks in the final round. Great fight!

Bermudez/Stephens: Great back-and-forth fight. If Bermudez could take Stephens down it would be a big difference but Stephens' TDD is solid in 145. Both men have heavy hands and hard leg kicks but in this slugfest Stephens was a clearly tougher guy and he timed Bermudez' takedown attempts so well. He knocked Bermudez down with an uppercut as Bermudez shot in in the second round. And that knee in the third round was just wow! You know knees and uppercuts are nightmare for wrestlers. Bermudez couldn't utilise his main wrestling gameplan and found better success in striking against the tougher veteran. I think I overlooked Stephens' TDD after Aloe Vera fight.

wow just heard them interview robbie and they told him the judges had him losing the fight 3-1 going into the 5th, all 3 judges -- i had it tied 2-2 just didnt see 3-1 and was surprised when they said all 3 had it that way

I believe thats the third round which made a difference. Robbie was winning the round until Rory wobbled him with a head kick and looking to finish. Its close to score but I had it for Rory because of the damage.

too bad this shit was fixed. Open your eyes. Like the video with Faber and Conner, you really think someone was walking with a camera on and randomly catching that?

Well, Silva thinks it's fixed too.

http://i.gyazo.com/5ac03c2675367b46cea720fbbdb37137.png

I believe thats the third round which made a difference. Robbie was winning the round until Rory wobbled him with a head kick and looking to finish. Its close to score but I had it for Rory because of the damage.

i think thats what i gave rory was 1st and 3rd and robbie 2nd and 4th -- i thought robbie clearly won those two rounds

i think thats what i gave rory was 1st and 3rd and robbie 2nd and 4th -- i thought robbie clearly won those two rounds

I think many people scored round 4 for Rory as I did too. Rorys early flurry won him the round imo.

Fake fights? :D I dunno what the fuck to say to that...

Damn it was a badass event!! I freaking love Conor and was very happy to see some humbleness out of him at the end. Dude seems to make all the right calls all the time lol. I wanna see Conor vs Aldo next becouse honestly the other fight (vs Frankie) is the real nightmare fight for McGregor. Frankie is never out of gas and his jiujitsu is on another level so he wouldn't let Conor up so easily.

Robbie vs Rory was a freaking helluva fight. Top5 fight of the ever for me. :) The first round was crappola but when the action picked up it was just amazing and the end was brutal. I was stunned watching it.

I got the ken shamrock feeling after the Mendes fight. Does anyone else here think he was the one who got the biggest paycheck?

The other fights were amazing though, all of them(ppv portion). Lawler-Rory for fight of the year.

I had Rory up 3 rounds to 1 as well. I gave him the first due to significantly higher output and better offensive footwork, and he obviously got the third and fourth.

I got the ken shamrock feeling after the Mendes fight. Does anyone else here think he was the one who got the biggest paycheck?

The other fights were amazing though, all of them(ppv portion). Lawler-Rory for fight of the year.

seen they both got 500k him and conor -- plus both will get ppv cut -- if i was robbie i would be pissed cause seen he got 150k/150k so 300k total and no ppv cut

"Dana the Jew" and "McGinger" are in cahoots to relieve us of our hard earned Illuminati money. Only Scott Coker and Cheick Kongo can save us now!!!

• Upvote 2