Aldo out Mendes in at UFC 189

PBR

If Chad for some reason decides to keep the fight standing I don't think he'll win but he'll most likely be throwing around McGregor and win a dominating decision. I agree with markyosullivan Aldo was a more favorable matchup because he would have likely kept the fight standing plus it seemed like he was really getting in Aldo's head. I'm surprised the UFC didn't give their Golden Boy an easy win by throwing some can in there with him.

This is really disappointing, I hope these guys change something about the intensity of their training camps or something because the amount of injuries is getting ridiculous. So many great fights and even events have gone down the toilet because of injuries.

so Aldo's bruised rib or whatever it was is why he is not fighting? Last I heard it wasn't a big deal and he was cleared to fight..

Badly bruised rib is a mofo to deal with in normal life not to mention in a (UFC title) fight. I imagine that it is a real and serious injury and that initially UFC did everything they could to make the fight happen. That's why there was so much different info about it. I read somewhere that brazilian doctors said it was actually broken and the UFC doctors were the ones who said it was "just" a bruise. Also someone pointed out that migh've been a bit of a mistranslation of w/e becouse badly bruised bones usually are somewhat broken inside or something. Anyways taking everything into concideration I think that the injury is for reals and that it keeps Aldo from training.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

injured ribs in any form hurt badly, i'm glad he pulled out, i don't want to see another Mayweather vs Paquiao and find out one of them is injured after the fight. i would have preferred it if they re-scheduled the Aldo fight for another date as i don't see McGregor beating Mendes (even with the short notice).

I like Aldo style as a fighter, but I don't like him as a champion. To fight 1 or 2 times/ year seems to me a bit on the low side. Offcourse he's champion for 5 years if he has a total of 7 fights in this period. Like I said I would like to see him fight more often and we will see what he's capable of if he does that. I personally cheer for fighters like Cerrone who will fight any1 anytime.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure Conor would have prefered to fight Aldo and I personally think he will lose against Chad as he hasn't face yet such a pressing fighter

Damn, and after all that build up. Was liking the whole ad campaign. I really hope McGregor takes the win so we get to see him back up all his talk against the champ. If not, and he loses for the interim title, I wonder how/if things change for him. Right now he's a massive draw without a belt, so I see him still being a draw regardless. He really needs to win this though, more so than the fight against Aldo.

Sucks, i like seeing Aldo fight. I do not see McGregor beating Mendes though, he has a chance but to take on Mendes on less than a weeks notice is bad for him and the UFC. McGregor vs. Aldo was their big money fight, now Mendes could potentially and probably ruin that big time which will lead to another poor PPV sell rate for Mendes vs Aldo 3

i don't see McGregor beating Mendes (even with the short notice).

Yeah, it will be tough for Mendes too having just 10 days to prepare for the Con-man.

I'm still rooting for Maccy G but we were all expecting a standup war with Jose where M'GregGreg might have had his chances. If it's now a grinding clinching ground tussle it could end up in a decision win for Chad, but it will be interesting to see if his own personal hype/belief is still justified. He'll certainly deserve more respect if he can finish or anyhow defeat Jose's prince.