The 2015/2016 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

Also same formation as mine apparently:

"I think Roy Hodgson is going with more of a diamond shape, with Eric Dier at the bottom, Dele Alli on the left, James Milner on the right and Wayne Rooney at the top."

Danny Mills reckons Clyne should be playing instead of Walker since he's much better defensively.

I half like the English call ups, and half dislike them.

I'd have left Rooney at home, he would have no place in my team at the World Cup 2018, which is what I'd use this tournament to gear up for. I mean winning the Euros is a great achievement, but the World Cup is what you want to win, so use the Euros to give young guys experience.

You have to go with Hart in goals, simply because there are no real better alternatives who are fit, I'd prefer to use Butland but hey ho, injuries happen and Hart is still a good keeper. Forster is a decent back up.

RB. I'd use Walker over Clyne, I prefer using an attacking running back and Walker is more polished than Clyne at this stage, but Clyne is a tier one back up.

CB. Stones, it is all about preparing for the future and he is the future CB of England.

CB. Smalling, he has really started to look like a great centerback after all the years of being thought of at one point as a bust. This would be the paring I'd take to the World Cup, so i'd play him and Stones together.

LB. Oh how I wish Luke Shaw was fit, but he isn't so I'd use Rose, from what I have read and watched he has a good head on his shoulders and used to be a winger, so will be good at the attacking phase as well as not neglecting his defensive duties.

LW. Sterling, not been great this season but the boy has the biggest upside of anyone in this squad, he has the legit chance to be a superstar I'd play him further up the park in a more winger area compared to the RM.

CM. Alli, time to see what the kid has got on the international stage, but by all accounts looks like a star

CM. Wilshere/Dier Dier is better at the defensive things but Wilshere could be special, as Pirlo/Xavi type of brilliance. If he gets his head right and is fit, then he would be who i'd play in a holding midfield area he is a more polished passer and isn't afraid to put in a tackle.

RM. Rooney, since he is in the squad and will put a shift in. I think his 30 goals per season are over, but he can play in midfield and will run until his legs give out.

ST. Vardy, despite youth being the key here, Vardy over anyone else in the squad deserves this after the season he has had.

ST. Kane, I have always wanted to see how Kane would play with another striker to back him up and take away the pressure, he is without a doubt one of the best English pure strikers in a while and without a doubt the best they have.

All that being said I hope England go out in the group stage and lose all 3 games, but that is just the Scotsman in me and not the football enthusiast.

The problem wasn't the team, it was the strategy.

The formation was okay at the start, however as the match wore on Rooney became more of a striker and Vardy & Kane were wingers.

This worries me. Rooney isn't disciplined enough to play CAM and to get the most out of Kane & Vardy, it might be more suitable to play Alli as CAM and drop Rooney. Only problem is that someone like Henderson would have to play at CM instead of Alli :/

Vardy shouldn't be near the starting line up if we're not going to play to his style. I'd like to see Kane on his own up front with Sterling and Lallana either side. I can understand people disagreeing with Wilshere making the team but he's already shown in the friendlies that he's our best centre mid.

Not league play but there is some international cup on. I forgot it was on and just turned it on at the half. USA forget to show up in the first half and Columbia is up 2 nil

Not league play but there is some international cup on. I forgot it was on and just turned it on at the half. USA forget to show up in the first half and Columbia is up 2 nil

Meh. Klinsmann just doesn't want to let the young kids loose. The team plays with more energy with when Nagby, Wood and Pulisic are in the game. Disappointing really, but it will probably lead to Klinsmann's termination soon.

GK Hart,

RWB Walker

LWB Rose

DC Cahill

DC Smalling

DM Dier

CM Ali

AM Rooney

LW Sterling

RW Vardy

FW Kane

So essentially i would be playing the Spurs type system. 4-2-3-1. Considering that this lineup has 5 player from that team it makes sense. Not 100% Vardy will be effective playing on the wing, but from what i have seen he seems like a natural winger anyway. Rooney i could swap for Lallana and i guess you could switch Cahill for Stones, it depends who is fit/on form. Clyne could be a better defender than Walker, but i prefer Walker in this type of system due to his ability to go forward. Everyone else i would say are a lock in this lineup. All in all, i think this is a pretty good team, besides the Cahill position and possibly the lack of familiarity for Vardy in this role, this team should be able to push most teams for a win.

GK Hart,

RWB Walker

LWB Rose

DC Cahill

DC Smalling

DM Dier

CM Ali

AM Rooney

LW Sterling

RW Vardy

FW Kane

So essentially i would be playing the Spurs type system. 4-2-3-1. Considering that this lineup has 5 player from that team it makes sense. Not 100% Vardy will be effective playing on the wing, but from what i have seen he seems like a natural winger anyway. Rooney i could swap for Lallana and i guess you could switch Cahill for Stones, it depends who is fit/on form. Clyne could be a better defender than Walker, but i prefer Walker in this type of system due to his ability to go forward. Everyone else i would say are a lock in this lineup. All in all, i think this is a pretty good team, besides the Cahill position and possibly the lack of familiarity for Vardy in this role, this team should be able to push most teams for a win.

This lineup is perfect for Clyne. You could argue to select Walker due to his experience playing this formation, but it needs a full back who can defend, while Vardy provides the attacking threat on the right.

Milner is also needed - but it's not a bad team. I'd swap Rooney for Milner & play Alli CAM, then you could potentially play Walker, since Milner reads the game better at CM than Alli.

You could go for that option as well, i do like Clyne as well. The main problem i see is that Roy seems Rooney as an integral part of this squad, today's diamond 4-4-2 showed that, with Kane and Vardy been moved towards the fringes so that Rooney can move through the middle. Vardy seemed out of sorts though and for Kane it clearly is not his strength.

You could go for that option as well, i do like Clyne as well. The main problem i see is that Roy seems Rooney as an integral part of this squad, today's diamond 4-4-2 showed that, with Kane and Vardy been moved towards the fringes so that Rooney can move through the middle. Vardy seemed out of sorts though and for Kane it clearly is not his strength.

Exactly - Rooney isn't disciplined enough to play CAM! And he's a shit Striker for England

• 3 weeks later...

USA had a chance to possibly avenge their first game loss to Columbia in Copa America but then the ran into Argentina in the semis. It's 4-0 right now with three minutes plus injury time to go. So most likely they'll play Chile for third place unless Chile beats Columbia in the other semi.

Jose Mourinho as Manchester United manager is a very interesting affair, but he seems more humble now compare to his previous arrogant attitude, we need personality in football that make it interesting , not to say Van Gaal is a bad manager, Van Gaal's always provide funny interaction between him and the media...but Mourinho is always produce top of his game

well...life is unpredictable, hope can witness some great maneuver by Jose while we still have a chance ;-)