The most underrated fighter in the UFC

TPowell

I've been trying to watch tape on Robbie Lawler for the past few days. It's impossible. How the hell do you watch who's open to what when you're standing up screaming the screen every time?

Just pass on the fight :) I like picking boring fights to go over 1.5 / 2.5 rounds. That way you've got a vested interest in something being as boring as possible and it actually makes it exciting. We've got 7 fights with an over under of 1.5 rounds on this event (the most I've ever seen). Some of those will probably end up going to decision.

Just pass on the fight :) I like picking boring fights to go over 1.5 / 2.5 rounds. That way you've got a vested interest in something being as boring as possible and it actually makes it exciting. We've got 7 fights with an over under of 1.5 rounds on this event (the most I've ever seen). Some of those will probably end up going to decision.

I don't mean for betting, I do a few Pick Ems and stuff.

Started to win some bets though. Winning some money on fights ending by decision, started to put down some single bets as opposed to accums and keep everything small. I'm still only putting down €1ish at a time but once that starts to add up a little bit I'll do things like stick a tenner on a woman's fight going the distance or something.

is one of those very underrated fighters. He was 13-1 before the Yoel loss (which was very debatable). He beat a lot of top level fighters on that run and was never given respect for a title shot, even though his wins were often decisive. Probably one of the best fighters in the UFC to never be in a title fight.

-Werdum was one of the most underrated fighters till recently. It took a demolition on Cain to make people take note. He was unfarily released from the UFC to begin with, even though he was 2-2 in the org at the time and 5-2 in Pride. He has been 9-1 since then. I mean think about it, this guy KOed the KO artist (Hunt), submitted the Submission artist (Nog), out wrestled the wrestler (Cain) and beat arguably the best HW fighter ever (Fedor) and people still do not have him in any of the debates as the best HW top 5. He is also a BJJ world champ among other things.

I'm pretty sure marketing plan once they got Werdum was to slow down him.

They could not hire Fedor and Werdum beat him so best for ufc was to make him lose some fights then you can say, looks this guy he beat fedor but got crushed by our guy, unfortunately the guy ketp winning until they had to gvive him a title shot. I really hope he beat Velasquez again because I feel that if he don't they won't give him a rematch.

I'm pretty sure marketing plan once they got Werdum was to slow down him.

They could not hire Fedor and Werdum beat him so best for ufc was to make him lose some fights then you can say, looks this guy he beat fedor but got crushed by our guy, unfortunately the guy ketp winning until they had to gvive him a title shot. I really hope he beat Velasquez again because I feel that if he don't they won't give him a rematch.

As they shouldnt. A fighter doesnt get a rematch if they've never even defended the title.

Yeah, i think his boxing and KO power is very underrated.

Not per se his boxing I think. It's mostly his MT that has improved a lot. He is outstriking dangerous strikers pretty easily by using kicks, combos and effective clinchwork. He is a very complete martial artist now. If he can work on his takedown offense and make that better, he is going to be extremely hard to beat.

Jacare - I think we all rank him fairly well. I thought he beat Yoel but for most big fans, Rockhold, Weidman, Jacare and Yoel are the top 4.

Werdum - I see people saying he's the greatest of all time now. Historically he'll be right up there but I do think the likes of Stipe, Junior and Overeem likely beat him.

Jacare didn't beat Yoel. Round 1 was definitely a 10-8 round. The fight should of, if anything, been a draw.

Werdum is the best HW in UFC atm. Stipe, Junior, and Overeem have a very minimal chance of beating Werdum. JDS has too much brain damage from the beatings he took from Cain to ever recover into a top HW contender especially now the testing is changingand Brazil's getting cracked down on, Overoid is overrated and chin is complete trash - he'll be on somebody's highlight reel in no time, and I can see Stipe getting fucked up by Arlovski fairly quickly. I think Arlovski is the guy everybody is sleeping on and he has the best chance of dethroning Fabricio any time soon.

You want an underrated HW? Travis Browne. I think he's easily top 5 HW in the UFC, arguably top 3.

• Upvote 1

Uriah can't deal when he's put under pressure. When fighters give him space to land his counter kicks, he's lethal.

I think he just lacks the aggression. He likes to stand there and think about every single little thing instead of letting his shots go. If Uriah Hall could half even a tiny bit of the mentality of Robbie Lawler, he could be a champ one day. Physically, Hall has every single tool you need.

I think he just lacks the aggression. He likes to stand there and think about every single little thing instead of letting his shots go. If Uriah Hall could half even a tiny bit of the mentality of Robbie Lawler, he could be a champ one day. Physically, Hall has every single tool you need.

Exactly. HIs main problem is the fighter mentality. If I remember correctly, he is actually scared of harming his opponent badly. To some degree that is normal, but in a cage fight hesitation isn't good.

Exactly. HIs main problem is the fighter mentality. If I remember correctly, he is actually scared of harming his opponent badly. To some degree that is normal, but in a cage fight hesitation isn't good.

He used to be. He got a bit more of a chip on his shoulder and he's a bit more stupid now with his annoying post fight rants and stuff. I'd say he's not too bad in that respect.

Even the fight where his toes were wrecked, the dude has tonnes of heart to get through that and even hide the injury from his opponent. Uriah's the man, he just needs to stop thinking about trying to be the perfect martial artist and start thinking about becoming the perfect fighter.

Jacare didn't beat Yoel. Round 1 was definitely a 10-8 round. The fight should of, if anything, been a draw.

Werdum is the best HW in UFC atm. Stipe, Junior, and Overeem have a very minimal chance of beating Werdum. JDS has too much brain damage from the beatings he took from Cain to ever recover into a top HW contender especially now the testing is changingand Brazil's getting cracked down on, Overoid is overrated and chin is complete trash - he'll be on somebody's highlight reel in no time, and I can see Stipe getting fucked up by Arlovski fairly quickly. I think Arlovski is the guy everybody is sleeping on and he has the best chance of dethroning Fabricio any time soon.

You want an underrated HW? Travis Browne. I think he's easily top 5 HW in the UFC, arguably top 3.

I think Overeem is a bad match up for Werdum, he has better grapling than cain and good wrestling/ MT throw, that's why he "beat" werdum in their fight. His only weakness is chin and cardio.

Just saw this.

That would be the first "definite 10-8 round" in MMA history because all 10-8s are open to debate really.

It might play out the way you do, but with Werdum having "good striking, good wrestling and amazing jiu jitsu" I can see him struggling with "[Now] good striking, great takedown defence" Junior Dos Santos, "Very good striking, very good takedown defence" Alistair Overeem or "Great striking, good takedown defence" Stipe Miocic.

I really don't reckon Arlovski beats Stipe tomorrow. He's a much worse striker. But he could pull something out the bag for sure.

Browne? I'd say he's even STILL overrated.

Just saw this.

That would be the first "definite 10-8 round" in MMA history because all 10-8s are open to debate really.

It might play out the way you do, but with Werdum having "good striking, good wrestling and amazing jiu jitsu" I can see him struggling with "[Now] good striking, great takedown defence" Junior Dos Santos, "Very good striking, very good takedown defence" Alistair Overeem or "Great striking, good takedown defence" Stipe Miocic.

I really don't reckon Arlovski beats Stipe tomorrow. He's a much worse striker. But he could pull something out the bag for sure.

Browne? I'd say he's even STILL overrated.

Cain showed the world you don't need to put Junior on his back to beat him. You just need to avoid his early onslaught, grab him, put him against the cage, and he'll get tired. A tired fighter usually will get his ass kicked by an equally talented fighter with a full energy tank.

Werdum clinches up with JDS.

Werdum lands a body shot.

Werdum lands a head shot.

JDS is winded!

Werdum lands a body shot. Head shot. Head shot. Maybe takedown. and Repeat.

Browne taking that Arlovski beating should of showed the world a lot about him. That should scare people. Arlovski hits pretty fucking hard. Browne's only black mark on his resume is Antonio Silva. And that was prolly Big Foot juicing Silva. He knocked out Overoid and Barnett. His two other losses are to Arlovski and Werdum.

I'm not a Browne fan at all. I loved the Arlovski result. But I wouldn't be too surprised if he wins the HW belt one day. I'm sure he'll fight for it eventually, unless the Rousey money makes him lazy, and that's an unpredictable diameter.

• Upvote 1

Cain showed the world you don't need to put Junior on his back to beat him. You just need to avoid his early onslaught, grab him, put him against the cage, and he'll get tired. A tired fighter usually will get his ass kicked by an equally talented fighter with a full energy tank.

Werdum clinches up with JDS.

Werdum lands a head shot.

JDS is winded!

Werdum lands a body shot. Head shot. Head shot. Maybe takedown. and Repeat.

Browne taking that Arlovski beating should of showed the world a lot about him. That should scare people. Arlovski hits pretty fucking hard. Browne's only black mark on his resume is Antonio Silva. And that was prolly Big Foot juicing Silva. He knocked out Overoid and Barnett. His two other losses are to Arlovski and Werdum.

I'm not a Browne fan at all. I loved the Arlovski result. But I wouldn't be too surprised if he wins the HW belt one day. I'm sure he'll fight for it eventually, unless the Rousey money makes him lazy, and that's an unpredictable diameter.

Show me a fighter who is a better cage wrestler than Cain at heavyweight though. Werdum's cage wrestling isn't on the same level as Cain's though, it's Cain's bread and butter. Jon Jones is a great fighter but he can't cage control like Randy Couture could.

Browne's fight with Werdum exposed a lot about him. Werdum's striking is obviously GREATLY improved, but then watch Werdum Vs Hunt. Werdum did get the KO but he was dropped and completely outboxed by Hunt, and Werdum made Browne look like a rookie in striking. Browne's good, but he's just not ever going to get to that next level. His biggest win is Barnett and now that we know about those elbows I couldn't see that happening twice.

Maybe you're right though, I just don't see it personally.

Show me a fighter who is a better cage wrestler than Cain at heavyweight though. Werdum's cage wrestling isn't on the same level as Cain's though, it's Cain's bread and butter. Jon Jones is a great fighter but he can't cage control like Randy Couture could.

Browne's fight with Werdum exposed a lot about him. Werdum's striking is obviously GREATLY improved, but then watch Werdum Vs Hunt. Werdum did get the KO but he was dropped and completely outboxed by Hunt, and Werdum made Browne look like a rookie in striking. Browne's good, but he's just not ever going to get to that next level. His biggest win is Barnett and now that we know about those elbows I couldn't see that happening twice.

Maybe you're right though, I just don't see it personally.

Yep, I think the altitude played a huge role in the last fight. Cain thrives on breaking you down with his pressure and it wasn't an option because he gassed himself.

Yep, I think the altitude played a huge role in the last fight. Cain thrives on breaking you down with his pressure and it wasn't an option because he gassed himself.

Cain was definitely tired very quickly, but I think we saw a little bit of Werdum's counter wrestling and he might well have the ability to defend the clinch. On the ground, Werdum has a massive chance of a submission but the big thing is that Cain doesn't take you down like that. He likes to take you down and control on the cage. You stand up, he puts you back down etc. If Werdum actually has the counter wrestling to stay away from the cage, I think he'd have the striking to control the fight.

I think Overeem is a bad match up for Werdum, he has better grapling than cain and good wrestling/ MT throw, that's why he "beat" werdum in their fight. His only weakness is chin and cardio.

You think Overeem is a better grappler than Cain, give me a break........... That is Cain's bread and butter, if Cain got Overeem down he'd dominate him. Overeem is good from the top and keeping his weight and pressure on, but useless on bottom right now, and if he gets put on his back he's in deep shit with Cain or Werdum.