Cain Velasquez Out of UFC 196

PBR

In what will likely go down as one of the least surprising stories of 2016, heavyweight top contender Cain Velasquez is pulling out of the UFC 196 heavyweight championship match with Fabricio Werdum. His replacement? No. 2-ranked Stipe Miocic.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement on Twitter:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610726-cain-velasquez-out-of-ufc-196-fabricio-werdum-gets-new-title-contender

I may be crazy, but i think Stipe is a bad matchup for Werdum. I'd still pick Werdum to win, but I'll be interested when the betting lines come out. Stipe +300 or better would be worth a bet.

I'm the exact same. I'd actually pick Miocic to win. Werdum isn't the best wrestler of all time and I actually don't think too many fighters outbox Miocic. When I found out people had Miocic to lose to Arlovski I was shocked. People said it was cause he got KOed by Struve. I was like "Did you not see him destroy Roy Nelson and Mark Hunt, two of the hardest hitters of all time, and then have an extremely competitive fight with pre-shot Junior Dos Santos?".

I think the slight reach advantage and controlled striking style of Miocic will keep Werdum at distance and tire him out big time into the fight.

In what will likely go down as one of the least surprising stories of 2016, heavyweight top contender Cain Velasquez is pulling out of the UFC 196 heavyweight championship match with Fabricio Werdum.

No kidding. Not saying he isn't a great fighter, but Velasquez just needs to retire. Way too many injuries in a short career is never a good sign.

I am kind of happy he pulled out, he should never had got this immediate shot anyway. Lets hope Cain can recover properly and get back to his old form. Personally i would rather see Werdum face up against Alistair again, he already lost to him and Alistair is on a 3 fight winning streak. Besides that, Miocic's 2 last losses were against fighters Alistair recently beat. I know the UFC is not too keen on Alistair + there have been discussing that his contract is up for renewal, but i would still rather see him get a title shot.

• Upvote 1

I am kind of happy he pulled out, he should never had got this immediate shot anyway. Lets hope Cain can recover properly and get back to his old form. Personally i would rather see Werdum face up against Alistair again, he already lost to him and Alistair is on a 3 fight winning streak. Besides that, Miocic's 2 last losses were against fighters Alistair recently beat. I know the UFC is not too keen on Alistair + there have been discussing that his contract is up for renewal, but i would still rather see him get a title shot.

+1 I would love to see this fight again too, hoping werdum beat miocic then we have werdum vs Overeem.

• Upvote 1

I'm the exact same. I'd actually pick Miocic to win. Werdum isn't the best wrestler of all time and I actually don't think too many fighters outbox Miocic. When I found out people had Miocic to lose to Arlovski I was shocked. People said it was cause he got KOed by Struve. I was like "Did you not see him destroy Roy Nelson and Mark Hunt, two of the hardest hitters of all time, and then have an extremely competitive fight with pre-shot Junior Dos Santos?".

I think the slight reach advantage and controlled striking style of Miocic will keep Werdum at distance and tire him out big time into the fight.

Werdum has a stack better cardio than Miocic.

i think his contract was up on his last fight -- said he was gonna test out free agent market and see what offer he would get -- no contract signed no way to even give an offer but i think miocic is more deserving at this time

By that logic Ben Rothwell would get a title shot before Overeem.

By that logic Ben Rothwell would get a title shot before Overeem.

I think Ben is also on a good run as well. I would rather see Miocic vs Ben for the top contenders fight and Overeem vs Werdum. Miocic already fought for the title, so give it to someone else which is on a good run.

I mean Overeem vs Rothwell makes much less sense for the top contenders fight, so who are you going to put Overeem against? Arlovski? I mean who wants to see Arlovski for the title at this stage in his career even if he does win (which he wont). Overeem will steamroller him anyway.

Werdum has a stack better cardio than Miocic.

Does Miocic have bad cardio though? He tired a bit in the JDS fight because he through absolutely everything he had at him to finish the fight. He looked fine in other fights cardio wise. I said Werdum would tire because Stipe's style of landing shots peppering shots is very tiring.

Holy shit, seems as if Werdum pulled out of the fight as well with an injury now!

“I was already injured. I have a foot injury, and haven’t been able to throw kicks in training for two weeks. I would still fight Cain because I was injured the last time, but I also hurt my back last Friday. I went to the doctor, tried to continue training, but couldn’t spar as I should spar.”

“I decided not to fight because I’m not 100 percent. If Cain was the opponent, I would go on. It’s not his fault, it’s nobody’s fault. Injuries happen. You can’t avoid them. I have no option. I made this decision because I’m not feeling 100 percent.”

“I made this decision together with my team. We decided not to fight. Cain can’t fight. I was going to hide the injury one more time, like I always did. I tried to hide it, but couldn’t this time. I can’t fight if I’m not 100 percent to put on a show like I always did.”

• Upvote 1

I knew it, I knew Werdum was injured and going to fight anyways, I fucking knew it!!!!!!!!

Miocic vs Overeem please for #1 contender please!!!!!!!!!!

It's still a shitty affair. Now a great fight is off the card and what they are going to do now? + who is going to fight who at HW..?

I'm waiting for Rothwell to be very vocal soon :P

As was mentioned about 4 times already in this thread, overreem is not under contract. he would have to sign quickly and then fight on very short notice. It's very unlikely.

And he'll want huge money for it as well! I think the ufc will have to make the co -main the new main event and fight some lower ranked fight to fill up the card. Injuries happen, but this sucks.

I think Ben is also on a good run as well. I would rather see Miocic vs Ben for the top contenders fight and Overeem vs Werdum. Miocic already fought for the title, so give it to someone else which is on a good run.

I mean Overeem vs Rothwell makes much less sense for the top contenders fight, so who are you going to put Overeem against? Arlovski? I mean who wants to see Arlovski for the title at this stage in his career even if he does win (which he wont). Overeem will steamroller him anyway.

Rothwell already smashed overeem a little over a year ago. Why would he have to fight overeem again in a #1 contenders match?

Before Arlovski's loss to Stipe he was on a better run than overeem has going now. Miocic has never fought for the title. Do you watch mma?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And he'll want huge money for it as well! I think the ufc will have to make the co -main the new main event and fight some lower ranked fight to fill up the card. Injuries happen, but this sucks.

Most likely is they just re-book Cain/Werdum for when both are healthy depending on recovery times. The timing of this is kind of fishy if you think about it. Werdum agreed to the re-booking yesterday, but now is hurt and pulling out a day later? I think his team starting watching tape and decided taking the Miocic fight isnt the best idea. As a guy who cant have more than 4-5 fights left in him at his age, I really can't blame him for waiting for the big money/lower risk Cain fight then fighting Miocic for likely less money and a higher risk.