McGregor vs Diaz: Who was surprised?

Anyone else here a big fan of both guys?

Yes. And I still am.

I've always liked Conor and although his money talk was getting a bit tiresome I'm hoping this loss will revitalize him and we will see a new better-than-before Conor (perhaps with a little bit more humility). As for the Diaz bros absolutely, I can't see how anyone can dislike them (except bourgeois c*nts with a sense of class superiority, and fuck them).

• Upvote 1

Yes. And I still am.

I've always liked Conor and although his money talk was getting a bit tiresome I'm hoping this loss will revitalize him and we will see a new better-than-before Conor (perhaps with a little bit more humility). As for the Diaz bros absolutely, I can't see how anyone can dislike them (except bourgeois c*nts with a sense of class superiority, and fuck them).

Yeh me too big fan of both. Conor's rehearsed lines are wearing a little thin but still a great fighter that has done a lot for the game. The CNBC interview was hilarious. Now I wish we had had more of a build up. Nate is a true fighter my god. Need to find myself a chin like that. Come at me bro!

Im sorry i have must have seen a different fight then, i didnt see anyone get rocked, only one dude totally gassed out, with the other dude getting hyped as more and more hits landed in his face.

you need to get your head out of mystic mac's ass and then you would be able to see the fight better, he was rocked and due to his lack of heart he looked for a way out hence shooting for a takedown and the inevitable choke. Holly didn't tap, Conor tapped in 2 seconds.....

he is a fun fighter to watch but he is certainly over rated.

ok .. now this is confusing ?? :P

He's being sarcastic ;)

Yeh me too big fan of both. Conor's rehearsed lines are wearing a little thin but still a great fighter that has done a lot for the game. The CNBC interview was hilarious. Now I wish we had had more of a build up. Nate is a true fighter my god. Need to find myself a chin like that. Come at me bro!

Yeah absolute classic, I think it'll be part of MMA history for years to come - definitely enjoyed it way more than the press conferences.

I know people don't put a lot of stock into 'mindgames' but with Conor I think it does play a part. Usually it works in his favour but in this instance I think it backfired: Conor became emotionally invested in achieving his prediction so he came charging out of the gates only to find Diaz wasn't quite as easy to put away as his previous opponents.

I think Diaz had a point when he said: "McGregor doesn't believe his predictions, his opponents do" [not exact quote, but you get the idea]

Conor builds up this persona of being invincible so that when opponents step in the ring and start missing shots/getting countered with that left hand they begin to think "shit... what if he actually is unstoppable" - confidence is a big thing for a fighter and if someone can make you doubt your own ability I think it can play a part. On top of that McGregor can also enrage opponents to the extent where they come out trying to KO him and and instead get KO'd with a counter in the process [see: Aldo].

Except that didn't happen here. If anything the opposite of that happened, Diaz can handle all the shit talk you throw at him - it's not a persona, it's just who he is. As a result I think it was Conor who ended up forgetting his gameplan (if you listen to the audio of Cavanagh etc. in his corner that would seem to support this argument) in his desire to knockout a taller guy with a quality chin.

He was out of oxygen, he took heavy breather since 1 minute in the second round, ofcourse nate diaz punch gonna hurt, but he was not even close to get "rocked".

This match resemble very close with Werdum VS CAin Velasquez, or are you gonna say Werdum "rocked" Velasquez?? dont think so.

I just think McGregor lost because of a combination of shit gameplan + shit energy because of the gameplan + risky move to go all the way up to 170 + not enough experience in wars, like Nate Diaz have, he conserved the energy much better.

Dude it's hilarious how you are calling people McGregor bashers when you are clearly a huge Conor McNuthugger.

Conor is still the fucking man. I'm upset to see him lose but I also have always loved the Diaz bros so happy for Nate for sure.

Conor is an animal, stepping up two weight classes, win or lose, on 2 weeks notice is unreal and deserves respect and admiration.

Yup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Given McGregor has never shown signs of 'bad cardio' before (and before you say "that's because most of his fights end in the first round" - look at the Holloway fight) I'm far more inclined to say it's because of strategy, but regardless of whether you chalk it down to bad cardio or bad gameplan it's irrelevant: McGregor was on the brink of getting knocked out, he shot for the takedown got submitted - end of story.

oh well yeah, nothing to do with going up 25lbs in 10 days short notice, nope.

• Downvote 1

Exactly, his weight obviously contributed to the gas out, he admitted it and we all know it. Give the man some respect, damn.

They dont obviously, because they are not real fans of MMA, and dont understand what happened, all they do is childish gifs, childish signature, shiz on Dana white every opportunity they have, not understanding that without Dana White , the MMA world would have been a lot more boring, they also dont udnerstand it wasnt a fight for the belt, but a risky move for McGregor to save the PPV, it was also an experiment and he had nothing to lose really, other than the haters hating on him even more.

But then again, they dont even understand what does it mean going up 25lbs and try to move that type of muscular body McGregor have, with that speed and quickness, every time he threw a punch, it costed like 10 punches as if he fought in the 145lbs division.

But then again i dont pretend to force opinions on anybody, if they want to keep going with the hype derailing meme, dana white gifs and sayng even theyr grandma can go up 25lbs in 10 days and still be that quick like a 145lbs and DONT gas out, well, it is still theyr opinion.

But yeah Nate Diaz schooled Royce Gracie that day, yup....yeah not really.

Everyone know whats happened or they just dont understand much about MMA.

Conor had very bad game plan. He was doing a lot of weird kicks and loading up to much thats why he gassed and got slow. Then he got hit with good 1 2 combination and was hurt. Later got hit few more times and was hurt even more thats why he was going for the takedown trying to save himself and lay on top of Nate till the end of the round. Sadly for him Nate has good BJJ and he submitted him.

My question is. Who will he fight next? And what happens if he loses to next opponent? He retires? Or if he wins? He will try to ask for rematch?

Yeah man, i insulted him every time he tried those spinnign retarded kicks, i was like "wtf Conor stop that shit and start to fight serious" , he did missed a lot of kicks early, that also had a cost oon his cardio, also his high intensity swings per secodns costed a lot of cardio to him, he should fight as he does, as a counter striker, i think he greatly underestimated Nate Diaz, and greatly overestimated his physicals, i think his lack of experience in 170lbs also played a big role in fucking up the gameplan, Nate Diaz choke was served on a gold plate anyway, nothing to do with ground skills, McGregor as he was gassed out and getting ground and pounded, rolled to the right serving his neck to Diaz in a gold plate really.

Exactly, his weight obviously contributed to the gas out, he admitted it and we all know it. Give the man some respect, damn.

Of course I still respect him, but you've got to accept he set himself up for it with some of the trash talk.

They dont obviously, because they are not real fans of MMA, and dont understand what happened

Oh please - you have already made it clear you have no idea what you are talking about, you are in no position to go around throwing statements like that.

"McGregor won the second round" aye, tell me another one.

• Upvote 1

He was on his way to win the second round, altough it was closer than the first round where he totally dominated, but halfway in the second round he gassed + Diaz started to have his personal war with him, thats where things went out of control.

Still think Diaz did nothing special other than capitalizing on it, i still respect the guy for all the wars he had in his career.

Still respect and have faith on McGregor as he will bounce back and and possibly have a rematch with Nate Diaz in 2 years maybe, with a decent gameplan and possibly better cardio. (i doubt he will ever fight again at 170lbs , but at 155lbs it will be good for him)

Yeah man, i insulted him every time he tried those spinnign retarded kicks, i was like "wtf Conor stop that shit and start to fight serious" , he did missed a lot of kicks early, that also had a cost oon his cardio, also his high intensity swings per secodns costed a lot of cardio to him, he should fight as he does, as a counter striker, i think he greatly underestimated Nate Diaz, and greatly overestimated his physicals, i think his lack of experience in 170lbs also played a big role in fucking up the gameplan, Nate Diaz choke was served on a gold plate anyway, nothing to do with ground skills, McGregor as he was gassed out and getting ground and pounded, rolled to the right serving his neck to Diaz in a gold plate really.

I have to agree. One wheel kick would be okay but doint it over and over again when you clearly are not even close to landing whats the point of that? Why he could not low kick that lead leg like that? He had to watch RDA vs Nate before this fight and then he maybe would won.

I have to agree. One wheel kick would be okay but doint it over and over again when you clearly are not even close to landing whats the point of that? Why he could not low kick that lead leg like that? He had to watch RDA vs Nate before this fight and then he maybe would won.

He was doing his usual bullshit for the fans, but those wheel spinning kicks doenst work against a taller guy out of reach.

McGregor was over-confident and really thought he'd put Nate away in the 1st round. That's where he fucked up. He should of leg kicked the shit out of him to set up the head kick like Josh Thompson did. If I was Conor I would of predicted a 3rd or 4th round knockout and went with the slow approach. Select your shots. Leg kicks. Body kicks. Body shots. I was really surprised at the lack of body shots he threw but he really believed his left hand was gonna finish the fight and he was forcing it, even more-so after it connected a few times.

Yeah, he should have doing a shitload of leg kicks, slow but inesorable until the third round when he would swing with Nate Diaz, whi his leg junctures blown away already, thats a shit gameplan that coisted him all the cardio really.

On top of that, i would say McGregor should change team and gym, did you heard the coach at the end of the first round????? thats also a lot of inexperience on the side of the coach, thats inadmissible, you are fighting fucking Nate Diaz, an experienced brawler, damnit, you arent knocking out midgets anymore...get a grip on yourself and be serious for once...lol,a lot of blame on the team and the coach, but he his a loyal man, and he will stick with that average gym and sparring partners, in my opinion he is wasted talent there, like Gustaffson, he should also change team.

• Downvote 1