2016-17 NFL Discussion

So someone threw a Bjorn on the field yesterday in Buffalo.

That must have ruined TV ratings, though it was already bad since it was Bills game.

• Upvote 1

How dem Bucs doing?

eh, just lost to one of the top teams in the AFC in OT. Shame we can't play Atlanta, Carolina, and San Francisco every week.

• Upvote 1

Just nice to see the Vikes finally getting exposed a bit and the "best team" "most complete team" b.s. put to rest for good. Their defense isn't as good as hyped and that offense is abusable.

The vikings were missing 3 starting offensive lineman in the game that we beat them up in, not sure if any of them came back for this past game but I think the Vikings are closer to the team they were the first 5 or 6 weeks than who they've been the last two games. If they get those guys back I think they'll be fine. I don't think they're good enough to win 2 playoff games w/ that offense though so I'm rooting for them to get a 1st round bye.

Stupid Doug Pederson cost us that damn game sunday night. We should have the division lead right now

Btw just to clarify my point I don't think the Vikings are the best team in the league or anything like that. They have an ELITE defense and a very pedestrian/average offense. Going into the game against the Eagles they were ranked 1st in 16 different defensive categories. They had 5 defensive lineman w/ at least 3 sacks. And before Jay Cutler just tore them up the opposing teams QBR's against them were awful over their last 10 games dating back to the end of last year. And it wasn't like they were facing joke QB's either, because it included the playoffs last year so they had 2 games against both Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning in that stretch in addition to QB's like Russell Wilson and Cam Newton and 1 or two other pretty good qb's as well.

An elite defense and an average offense is good enough to appear in a conference championship game and win a super bowl if they get hot and play mistake free football at the right time. The Seahawks were that a few years back when Russell Wilson was a rookie (though a much better running team which may be the ingredient they're missing to do it). The Giants won their superbowls w/ their front 4 pretty much. So while I'm not going to go out on a limb and predict them to pull that off, I can't say I'd be completely shocked if they did either. People seem to overreact to shit in the moment imo

On defense the Bears were missing their best DL, best cb and second best pass rusher and have a garbage secondary. On offense they are without their two all pro guards, and the #2 and #3 receivers. Easily the most beat up team in the league, but guys are trickling back in. If Alston Jeffery doesn't drop two td passes its a 28-10 win with the Vikings scoring on a td drive that was extended by a very stupid bears penalty after they had stopped them on 3rd down.

The Vikings can't run the ball, or pass block and the recievers don't look like they know their routes (as a Bears fan, I know how crippling that is to an offense). Bradford played well to open the season, but the real guy has resurfaced. They might be a playoff team because the nfc north is pretty bad this year, I doubt they will win a playoff game even with the entire nfc looking rather weak this year.

On defense the Bears were missing their best DL, best cb and second best pass rusher and have a garbage secondary. On offense they are without their two all pro guards, and the #2 and #3 receivers. Easily the most beat up team in the league, but guys are trickling back in. If Alston Jeffery doesn't drop two td passes its a 28-10 win with the Vikings scoring on a td drive that was extended by a very stupid bears penalty after they had stopped them on 3rd down.

The Vikings can't run the ball, or pass block and the recievers don't look like they know their routes (as a Bears fan, I know how crippling that is to an offense). Bradford played well to open the season, but the real guy has resurfaced. They might be a playoff team because the nfc north is pretty bad this year, I doubt they will win a playoff game even with the entire nfc looking rather weak this year.

I think they could depending who they play. I think they could cause real issues for the Packers and Falcons because both teams have suspect offensive lines and their defenses are average at best. I think they could win a low scoring game against Seattle because Seattles offensive line is a joke, but they like MInnesota have an elite defense so I think that would be a 13-9 game either way. Right now the only team that I look at that I think would just destroy them is the Cowboys because their offensive line is studly and the Vikings don't have the offense to take advantage of the Cowboys average'ish defense. Assuming that o-line gets healthy again anyway

eh, just lost to one of the top teams in the AFC in OT. Shame we can't play Atlanta, Carolina, and San Francisco every week.

How dem Bucs doing?

It's an Atlanta throwback over there. Ex falcon coaches and players everywhere.

beat up, almost out of running backs, almost played a full overtime on Sunday against The Raiders then had to play The Falcons on a short week.

• 2 weeks later...

The beaaarrrrsssse are finally getting some of their many injured starters back. Dominated the Vikings last night. The NFC North is as bad a division as I thought, but da beloved are already in too big a hole.

Yeah, how's that working for you?

Your going to have to explain your question there big ken. I can't think of any context to place it in where it makes any sense.

You getting your starters back and then Cutler throwing a pick 6 to one of the worst safeties in the league.

Obviously it didnt work out too well. Why would you even ask that question? Things must be really bad in Tampa if you need to gloat over a win vs the bearssse.

If it wasn't for The Bears, The 49ers, and the Panthers, we'd only have one win.

Thank god the Eagles can play defense. I hope we make more of a concerted effort to run the ball moving forward

Really disappointed by our offensive line play in that game, your front 4 really dominated us and that set the tone for the whole game. Ryan had a mediocre night which could of been much worse if those picks weren't dropped and Shanahan who has been stellar all year called his first bad game(but really how good can you call a game when you're being dominated at the line of scrimmage). Time of possession was really bad on our part and we STILL keep giving up wide open zones in the center of the field. It's like an easy 3rd down and long blueprint at this point.

On a positive note, Vic Beasley is really turning into a beast. Especially when you think about him playing with a front seven where there is really no one else to double team but him. Freeney is too old.

I'm doing an expirerment on Madden to see if all the teams in a division end up 0-10-6 who wins the division.

Really disappointed by our offensive line play in that game, your front 4 really dominated us and that set the tone for the whole game. Ryan had a mediocre night which could of been much worse if those picks weren't dropped and Shanahan who has been stellar all year called his first bad game(but really how good can you call a game when you're being dominated at the line of scrimmage). Time of possession was really bad on our part and we STILL keep giving up wide open zones in the center of the field. It's like an easy 3rd down and long blueprint at this point.

On a positive note, Vic Beasley is really turning into a beast. Especially when you think about him playing with a front seven where there is really no one else to double team but him. Freeney is too old.

Our front 4 is definitely the strength of our entire team. I would say our 2nd strength is our safety play. McCleod is a stud but Malcom Jenkins may be the best safety in the league right now imo. Not only does he pass rush, he's great in run blitzing, can play the safety over the top. A lot of times we use him as our nickel back covering the slot receiver, or we put him 1 on 1 on elite TE's. But in that Atlanta game I also saw him lined up outside the hash marks 1 on 1 versus Sanu. And then they used him in spots on Julio on those last couple drives too. I think some of that was we're already thin at corner and then Carrol got a concussion in that game and McLeod has been banged up with a hamstring injury on and off since the beginning of the season. So I think it was more by need then design but his versatility is ridiculous.

I had a feeling if we could stop your running game that we would give your offense fits because I know you've said that your offensive line isn't really a strength of your team. And if we can constantly put you in obvious passing downs our defense can be a nightmare because we can get pressure w/ 4 guys. I didn't foresee us running the ball like that though, we need more of that to take some pressure off our rookie QB and his god awful receivers

I'm curious to see if the birds can still sneak into the playoffs this year. I'm going to say they most likely come up short but I don't want to dismiss the idea entirely looking at our schedule the rest of the year. First of all we seem to be a totally different team at home. We're 4-0 there (MIN, PIT, ATL & CLE) and our point differential is 108-38 at home. Our 4 home games left are (DAL, WAS, NYG & GB). We're 0-3 in the division so far so i'm thinking we probably win at least 2 of those division games at home. I think w/ our front 4 we're the type of team that GB struggles against so it's not out of the realm of possibility that we can win 3 of those 4 home games putting us at 8 wins. So can they go on the road and get 2 wins against SEA, BAL & CIN? I'm saying we probably only get 1

• 2 weeks later...

You might beat Seattle, we did. And sure, you can sneak into the playoffs but only if we get the other Wild Card, unless Atlanta folds down the stretch and we win the Division.