2016-17 NFL Discussion

Bucs are looking at a 6-10 to 7-9 season. Predicted we'd be in the 7-9 to 9-7.

Eagles look damn good. Wentz looks really good. Always thought he was the best QB in the draft, just think his style of play and being a big body target will get him injured sooner or later.

Yeah he was definitely taking too many hits in the first few games and Pederson said he needed to rewire him to slide or run out of bounds which he actually did this week so I'm hoping he takes that message to heart. Our defense looks really legit so far. They sacked Big Ben 4 times and 14 of his 24 completions were for like 6 or 7 yards or less so the pressure was forcing the ball out early and the best part about that is we only blitzed 5 times on 51 drop backs in that game. Our front 4 has just looked nasty so far.

Carson has obviously looked great. His ability to read defenses pre-snap and audible us out of bad plays has really been impressive. I'm curious how badly the looming Lane Johnson suspension hurts us. It's going to be a 2 position drop-off because we're sliding the guard out to tackle and plugging in a new guard so the whole right side of the line could potentially have a big drop off in play. Although this team just seems to have that swagger going and the rookie has these guys excited to play so if the next man up outperforms his ability I can't say it'd completely shock me either.

My quick Week 3 takeaways:

The Bears are awful.

My Lions are better than the 1-2 record suggests but are third best in a tough NFC North.

The awful bears took the lions to the woodshed today with a backup qb, 3rd string RB and 6 defensive starters out. The punt return td should have been called back, a very blatant block in the back sprung the returner. The nfc north is not a good division and the lions are very deserving of their 1-3 record.

Best offense this year vs the best defense.........could be interesting

Yeah that is what everyone is focused on but defense usually wins that battle. It's what I am most excited to see as welll but the real decider of the game will be our defense vs their green quarterback and offense.

Panther's defense was good and top 10 but when he broke records on them the excuses went flying though we did get our props. If we beat the Broncos in Mile High though we should be at the top of the power rankings as we our definitely legit. If our offense actually scores 30 points I would geek out but that is just not going to happen lol.

If we somehow win at Seattle too then we can actually start talking about deep playoff runs but as for now that's a pipe dream with our defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Steelers fan here, thought I would join the discussion.

Ben out 4-6 weeks now, faith in Landry Jones=0

I can see a Patriots vs Falcons Superbowl, two straight weeks Atlanta has shown that arguably the two top defences in the league can't even stop them.

Tom Brady, on a mission to murder Goodell

It's amazing how far the Falcons have come in 6 games. We went from one of the media hated black sheeps of the NFL that analyst knew nothing about and you could tell they only saw the boxscore when talking about them to a team that everyone is actually showing respect and actually expects great things from. Even our 13-3 season under Mike Smith most analysts just shat on us the whole way(pretty sure that was the season Rodgers(who was still God Mode Godgers then) came into the Dome and annihilated us though. But we have managed to win the respect of most fans around the league so far and we actually went on the road against top defenses not once but twice and didn't get destroyed. Old falcons would of looked flat and dead in Seattle and Denver.

Bold statement, doesn't help when you have no running game and a sub par O-line

True but he has made plenty of mistakes himself this season that were soley on him. Even the way he has been playing and carrying himself seems like he has been stuck in that shitty situation for too long. McCarthy should not still have a job. Having situations like no running game and a shit o-line can effect how a QB plays overall tho much like being shellshocked.

We saw it with Matt Ryan last year, his lack of options outside of Jones, our shitty o-line last year and the HORRID center situation on top of a new system and it's no wonder why he had the worst season of his career. Hell the center situation alone has to be extremely troublesome for quarterbacks. They expect that ball to be snapped at the exact moment, not early, not late and right into their hands. They shouldn't even have to look at the ball but when you have to drop your eyes on every shotgun down and take extra call during under-center plays it messed the whole play up. Especially when you got a system and quarterback that relies so much on timing. If you have to take a second to secure the football after a snap then that means your progressions are a second behind, which means throwing it early without scanning the field or throwing it late and hoping it gets there. First thing that is gonna happen is your interceptions are gonna go up then you're gonna get gun shy. Not only that but you're play in a new system that is x10 more complicated than most in the league and takes a couple seasons to master? Yeah you're fuck. Matt Ryan's 2015 season in a nutshell, really hopes he keeps up this hot streak for the season because it would be a well deserved MVP and a nice story.

I think it's been happening since last season now for Rodgers which is unacceptable for Mike McCarthy to not correct.

As much i am a fanboy of Adrian Peterson, i always thought that because of him, Vikings had no game but just run and run, and you dont win rings in the NFL by just running.

And wow, without him but Sam Bradford in they looks like Super Bowl contenders, im not sure Adrian Peterson will be in Minnesota next year, if he still plan to play football.

As much i am a fanboy of Adrian Peterson, i always thought that because of him, Vikings had no game but just run and run, and you dont win rings in the NFL by just running.

And wow, without him but Sam Bradford in they looks like Super Bowl contenders, im not sure Adrian Peterson will be in Minnesota next year, if he still plan to play football.

Gotta agree it's a strange position to be in but it seems to happen from time to time. Having the best running back in the game the Vikes felt they had to feed him the ball no matter what but it doesn't work like that in today's NFL like you said. Not even just rings they struggled to make the playoffs. Same with the Lions when they had the best receiver in the game in Johnson, Stafford is a better quarterback without him because he forced the ball to Megatron rather than throw it to the open guy and go through his progressions. Doesn't mean the Lions aren't still shit regardless though. The Vikes tho look so much better and Sam Bradford finally lives up to his draft position after everyone leaves his career for dead.

Dunno why some offensive coordinator's feel the need to force the ball into their best players hand as much as possible. We saw the same thing with the Falcons last year, Julio had some great numbers sure... But Ryan had the worst year of his career(with other factors). Shanahan adjusts this year (and actually has other weapons) and proves your best player can be just as good for your offense just by drawing away so much attention from the defense.

Bold statement, doesn't help when you have no running game and a sub par O-line

That would be a great point except for the fact that he's never really had a good offensive line, he led the league in most sacks taken twice and only had one full season under 30 taken. His sacks per game this year, if it continues at the same rate, would be the lowest of his career. The packers are averaging 4.2 yards per rush and 104.8 per game. Solidly in the middle of the pack.

He put up HOF numbers behind bad lines with no running game his whole career, as his skills diminish visibly you can't use the line and run game as an excuse. Especially when it might be one of his better lines he's had in his entire career.

I must say that Vikings probably have the best defense in the league and they are still missing Sharriff Floyd which wreak havoc in the line, they kinda remind be the good old Baltimore Ravens with Ngata, Scott, Lewis and all the other terrific names in the Defense, scary to say the least.

I wonder how many 49ers fans contemplated ending their lives after losing to The Bucs. The only rushing game San Fran had was Cappernick.

I must say that Vikings probably have the best defense in the league and they are still missing Sharriff Floyd which wreak havoc in the line, they kinda remind be the good old Baltimore Ravens with Ngata, Scott, Lewis and all the other terrific names in the Defense, scary to say the least.

Yeah our offense couldn't do shit against them. We had one 60 some yard drive where we went down and scored a TD but outside of that one drive we couldn't move the ball against them pretty much at all. Our other TD came on a 98 yd kick-off return. The only thing that saved us was the Vikings came into the game down 3 starting o-lineman and we beat Sammy B up badly. We hit him like 20 times, had 6 sacks and 4 of them were strip sacks (albeit only 2 recoveries). Our offense is starting to look more like I expected them to look like the last 3 weeks. Average to below average protection from the line, an average running game and WR's that create no separation.

Titans

Bengals

Chiefs

Cardinals

Bucs

Seahawks

Lions

Patriots

Jets

Chargers

Falcons

Cowboys

Vikings

Dunno why I'm taking TB since I have little faith & I should learn my lesson from last week taking the Jags > Oakland. But history says west coast teams playing at 1pm on the east coast struggle to win & Oakland is like 4 or 5 and 0 in such games I think. The law of averages has to catch up w/ them eventually right? Hope my cowboys/eagles prediction is wrong lol