Swing for the fences

It's just a slider that means for those last X number of seconds the fighter starts to make his own decisions and go off plan, increasingly, until the end.

From personal experience I've suffered from the other one, where my fighter trys to play it safe for too long at the end of the fight and it costs em. Perhaps that was the other guy's swinging-for-the-fences success story!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's just a slider that means for those last X number of seconds the fighter starts to make his own decisions and go off plan, increasingly, until the end.

From personal experience I've suffered from the other one, where my fighter trys to play it safe for too long at the end of the fight and it costs em. Perhaps that was the other guy's swinging-for-the-fences success story!

Wait what? Swing for fences is about increasing aggression, not playing it SHIG

"Abandon his gameplan" and "increasingly look for the knockout"

Also it "just means an increase in aggression"

The wiki is slightly unclear on this, but I guess ovoxo you are mostly right, the aggression is increasing but so is the abandonment of any gameplan you'd given him. During these seconds I imagine experience and IQ play important roles.

• Upvote 1

Id say just aggression, no damage change.

Fighter swinging for the fences is a fighter looking to finish the fight. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into 100% damage. It also applies to sub attempts. Your fighter will try to sub opponent off his back on the ground.

I'd guess that Heart + IQ + Experience + Confidence + Energy level + opponents stats/sliders/energy; all factor into it.

It gradually raises both damage and aggression in the last round of a fight that your fighter thinks he is losing.

Fighter swinging for the fences is a fighter looking to finish the fight. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into 100% damage. It also applies to sub attempts. Your fighter will try to sub opponent off his back on the ground.

I'd guess that Heart + IQ + Experience + Confidence + Energy level + opponents stats/sliders/energy; all factor into it.

Guess then the game manual would be wrong too:

Note: These two sliders operate in a more regimented way than the swing for the fences sliders. Swing for the fences just means an increase in aggression, but that aggression is a sliding scale. As the fight time runs out, your fighter will become more and more aggressive. With the fight for a decision slider, it's more fixed. If you set the fight for decision vs stick to gameplan to 50%, as soon as they hit that FFD seconds mark, they'll drop their aggression by 50% in all areas.

You guys really think that Mike made a fight engine so complicated only by himself? Fighters taking decisions by themselves, replicating a perfect AI and stuff. Nah, i could bet that behind most of the stuff you see there are more simple than complicated math equations. Swing and ffd are just to control the end game aggression. If swing really increased both damage and aggro it would have been kinda unusable at heavyweights. Start swinging - burn energy - get ktfo.

• Upvote 2

Guess then the game manual would be wrong too:

Note: These two sliders operate in a more regimented way than the swing for the fences sliders. Swing for the fences just means an increase in aggression, but that aggression is a sliding scale. As the fight time runs out, your fighter will become more and more aggressive. With the fight for a decision slider, it's more fixed. If you set the fight for decision vs stick to gameplan to 50%, as soon as they hit that FFD seconds mark, they'll drop their aggression by 50% in all areas.

It's possible. Maybe the increase in damage/accuracy would be related to hiddens.

It doesn't mean abandoning the gameplan, it means going for the KO and increased aggression/power.

On a similar topic, some time ago some people tried to convince me that SHIG can alter every slider of your fighter - favor kicks instead of the punches you have set etc. And I am pretty sure it just alters the position sliders - Stay Standing/Try Takedowns, Try To Clinch/Stay On The Outside for stand-up; Stay Standing/Go To Ground, Stay In Clinch/Break Clinch for clinch game and Stay On Ground/Get Up for ground game.

Follow my orders vs See how it goes: During a fight, your fighter will assess how well he thinks he is doing in each area of the fight (standing, clinch and ground work). Depending on how intelligent and experienced he is, he may decide to change his gameplan. However, if you don't want him to change his gameplan at all, you can say so using this tactic slider. The only exception is if you tell your fighter to never do something (e.g. never go to the ground). If that's the case, no matter how badly he's doing in the other aspects of the game, he won't take it to the ground.

I think engine just checks if your fighter is winning by points in the current fight position and if he is losing it forces him to attempt changes based off your sliders(SHIG + Position sliders), IQ and experience.

• Upvote 1

SHIG in my experience won't make your fighter do something you've alrdy instructed him to never do. Ex. If he is 100% punch he won't throw kicks cause of SHIG

Here is a good swing for the fences victory. He was losing 2-0 and at 2 minute mark of the 3rd it triggered http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=850409

SHIG in my experience won't make your fighter do something you've alrdy instructed him to never do. Ex. If he is 100% punch he won't throw kicks cause of SHIG

Here is a good swing for the fences victory. He was losing 2-0 and at 2 minute mark of the 3rd it triggered http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=850409

There's definitely better examples out there.

I've had guys that were set to counter/accuracy go balls to the wall in the last round and get a finish. Could of been other variables outside of SFTF though.

There's definitely better examples out there.

I've had guys that were set to counter/accuracy go balls to the wall in the last round and get a finish. Could of been other variables outside of SFTF though.

Once energy is out, some accuracy strikes are pretty much enough to KO, I think. If your fighter was counter/accuracy I bet he had energy advantage when SFTF triggered.

Here are two great examples os SFTF working, in back to back fights.

Starring Donny Donnowitz

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=701609

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=704372

I guess it's just an increase in aggression, so you need some extra stuff for it to work, like great ko power of your fighter, your opponent's weak chin/heart or an energy advantage.

• Upvote 2

Swing for the fences is very interesting but sucks when you are winning the fight and fighting someone who uses it. It seems to increases the chance of a finish a lot, but keep in mind, that works both ways; you can get finished easier as well.

yeah i would assume that SFTF leaves you more open to getting countered.

• 3 years later...

Resurrection post!

This thread was very helpful, Im just looking for a bit more clarification.

If you set both SFTF and FFD to max with max timing set, do they cancel each other out? Or, does your fighter try to decide which of the two to put to use??

Nope. when you're fighter feels he's losing the fight he'll go SFF. When he feels he is winning he will go FFD if you both set to max depending on the time you set