COVID-19

PBR

Damn, i see the numbers in the USA have sky rocketed, almost 1/3 of the world cases are there now and the deaths are rising fast. I think Trump (and all those saying that the economy is more important), totally miss calculated the risks of this virus. I think the "risks to the economy" will be far more severe than a 4-5 week lock down.

Frankly speaking, i am really pissed off with some of the world leaders, they acted so "politically" in an unpolitical situation. This is a pandemic scenario and these idiot's are playing around with 100s of thousands (and potentially millions) of people's lives. Although being locked home sucks and i know it is a financial burden, governments should have prioritized the lives of their citizens. Now a hear Trump is blaming China, are you joking me? China was the first to catch the damn virus! Instead of blaming his incompetence to react, he blames (this is being sarcastic) some China man for eating a bat. GTFO, sort your shit out and act in the best of your people.

By the way, i am not against Trump and nor do i have any political bias in the USA. If anything i think the guy has done very well for himself and some of the things he says actually make sense (even if he talks in an ultra primitive manner), just in this case i think he got things wrong.

I think its more of an average joe kind of fault for refusing public health care rather than Trump tho.

A young fella dying at the hospital door from COVID cause his ensurance refused to pay is something that makes a LOT of difference in keeping this stuff in check or not.

I dislike the Norwegian government a lot, but they've mostly done a commendable job containing and controlling this shit. We've had a steady decline in infected people, people in hospitals and people in respirators for 7 days in a row now.

Those are reassuring numbers.

Also a lot of talk about how what Sweden is doing is necessary to measure which way is best in a delicate balance between saving lives and saving the economy.

As much as I think Sweden is wrong (and this is easy for me to say as being in Canada, the extreme opposite w shelter at home) this risk is absolutely necessary should 90% of the world be going the wrong way. The data we will get from places like Sweden might save many many economies in a very near future so kudos to them for this gamble.

Its like I said, misery, poverty and hunger also kills. It actually kills more/year.

We were already going to dive into recession this year. It was already a shit hit the fan situation for BRICs... Basically we are just chosing who dies...

Its like I said, misery, poverty and hunger also kills. It actually kills more/year.

We were already going to dive into recession this year. It was already a shit hit the fan situation for BRICs... Basically we are just chosing who dies...

This kind of virus, if we take into account things such as how it spreads and death rates (which is way worse than they estimated before, it is closer to 20% of all concluded cases if they do not get access to breathing support), can be a serious threat. Many people say it is "just a flue", but the numbers do not say that. Finances can be figured out later, we need to get rid of this thing first. The bad news is that i think this virus will be back in Autumn, maybe in a different form though.

This kind of virus, if we take into account things such as how it spreads and death rates (which is way worse than they estimated before, it is closer to 20% of all concluded cases if they do not get access to breathing support), can be a serious threat. Many people say it is "just a flue", but the numbers do not say that. Finances can be figured out later, we need to get rid of this thing first. The bad news is that i think this virus will be back in Autumn, maybe in a different form though.

Oh no. Not saying its "just a flu", at all.

What I am saying is all deaths by accute respiratory distress syndrome in Brazil since january so far (roughly 4 months), if we account all of them to COVID (wich it doesnt), and compare it to death by car accidents/year... Its just 7 days of our deaths by car accident. This demands way more ICUs. This takes way more lives. Yet, no one is stopping the economy due to this.

This year Dengue fever killed more/month in southern states of Brazil than COVID outbreak... Hell, 2003 had 23 thousand deaths in Itally and 14 thousand deaths in france in two months... Cause of a heat stroke.

Misery kills. People starve to death. Brazil has around 17 deaths of starvation/DAY (~6,5k/year from 2008 to 2017). Math models predicts we will have 4 thousand deaths by COVID in Brazil in worst case scenario...

Either way, we are chosing who is dying.

Old poor that serves as structural unemployment starving to death or old middle class that sucks the social security/welfare of ARDS

Agreed. Either the government chooses to kill the poor, or... well, I guess the poor either way.

Oh no. Not saying its "just a flu", at all.

What I am saying is all deaths by accute respiratory distress syndrome in Brazil since january so far (roughly 4 months), if we account all of them to COVID (wich it doesnt), and compare it to death by car accidents/year... Its just 7 days of our deaths by car accident. This demands way more ICUs. This takes way more lives. Yet, no one is stopping the economy due to this.

This year Dengue fever killed more/month in southern states of Brazil than COVID outbreak... Hell, 2003 had 23 thousand deaths in Itally and 14 thousand deaths in france in two months... Cause of a heat stroke.

Misery kills. People starve to death. Brazil has around 17 deaths of starvation/DAY (~6,5k/year from 2008 to 2017). Math models predicts we will have 4 thousand deaths by COVID in Brazil in worst case scenario...

Either way, we are chosing who is dying.

Truth is, COVID / Corona is an "over hyped" virus. I think it also has to do with the fact that it has mostly hit the western world. I am sure there is some much more significant plague or virus in places such as India or Africa that is killing WAY more than this, but because it is not a threat to the west, most people do not even know about them.

• Upvote 2

Truth is, COVID / Corona is an "over hyped" virus. I think it also has to do with the fact that it has mostly hit the western world. I am sure there is some much more significant plague or virus in places such as India or Africa that is killing WAY more than this, but because it is not a threat to the west, most people do not even know about them.

https://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/diseases/en/

While we don't have hard official restrictions, fines etc. in Sweden like other countries most people do the sensible thing and self-quarantine so for a lot of the population the same effect is achieved. But not everyone does this of course.

And the economy is fucked up regardless since everything is produced in China. Except toilet paper, we are a net producer of that.

• 2 weeks later...