Count occasionally.

Columbo

7 hours ago, Sprooch said:

Wait, that isn't an even Fibonacci number.  13 (but not 12) is a Fibonacci number, but isn't even.  I knew basically what Fibonacci numbers were, but before looking it up in Wikipedia to find them I didn't realize that only 1/3 of Fibonacci numbers are even.  It's two odds, then an even, then two odds, then an even.

But as long as we're doing a more or less random sequence, I'm good with that, after a few it would get hard to find  Fibonacci numbers, though I'd bet googling it would give me a long list, but I'd rather just post numbers we felt like anyway, so...

On 1/4/2022 at 2:01 AM, Bynum said:

Wait, that isn't an even Fibonacci number.  13 (but not 12) is a Fibonacci number, but isn't even.  I knew basically what Fibonacci numbers were, but before looking it up in Wikipedia to find them I didn't realize that only 1/3 of Fibonacci numbers are even.  It's two odds, then an even, then two odds, then an even.

But as long as we're doing a more or less random sequence, I'm good with that, after a few it would get hard to find  Fibonacci numbers, though I'd bet googling it would give me a long list, but I'd rather just post numbers we felt like anyway, so...

I just though Fibonacci number sequence was the sum of the two numbers that preceded it although my number still wasn't

50 minutes ago, Sprooch said:

I just though Fibonacci number sequence was the sum of the two numbers that preceded it although my number still wasn't

Right, it is.  But the OP said "even (emphasis mine) Fibonacci numbers only".  So had we followed that we would have been listing every 3rd number on the Fibonacci sequence, because (I only learned this looking up the list) the list is odd, odd, even, odd, odd, even.

Now that I know that, I figured out why that is.  The sum of an odd and an even number is odd.  So as long as exactly one of the two numbers being summed is odd, the result will be odd.  Then after two odd numbers, there's the sum of two odds, which is even.  But that then leads to two that sum an odd and an even, ad infinitum.

3 minutes ago, Bynum said:

Right, it is.  But the OP said "even (emphasis mine) Fibonacci numbers only".  So had we followed that we would have been listing every 3rd number on the Fibonacci sequence, because (I only learned this looking up the list) the list is odd, odd, even, odd, odd, even.

Now that I know that, I figured out why that is.  The sum of an odd and an even number is odd.  So as long as exactly one of the two numbers being summed is odd, the result will be odd.  Then after two odd numbers, there's the sum of two odds, which is even.  But that then leads to two that sum an odd and an even, ad infinitum.

Good to know.. I just though a random number out there lmao.. but have since educated myslef lmao