Clinching/Pulling Guard

HollywoodHogan

Hey guys, just have some questions about clinching and pulling guard. Recently made a fighter with Muay tai and BJJ because I wanted a clinch based fighter who could pull guard with high subs. However in his last fight he kept just falling on his back every time he went to pull guard. Did I mess up his build not giving him any wrestling or takedowns? Or does BJJ + clinch work for pulling guard. Was it my sliders being too aggressive? Really curious on what my tactics should be for this guy, I think they might be too aggressive because I couldn't get any clinches or pull guards. 

Unfortunately, Wrestling does matter too even with this build.  For the clinch entries and control.  Though I did win a fight on Friday by pulling guard then subbing with a guy with only woeful wrestling. I like this build and have been playing with it myself, I'm really not 100% sure what primaries and secondaries affect the actual guard pull, though.

2 minutes ago, Daudy said:

I'm not sure you really do need TD skills for guard pulling, but wrestling primaries, clinchwork, and strength definitely help. Sometimes a highly aggressive slider might not also work so well at it vs someone who is going very control heavy.

I would think Balance or Agility might play a role in it, too?  But that's just completely guessing.  

Here's my guard pull win from the other day:

https://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=1146279

I've also found guard pulls useful with this build against clinch guys.  Lots of the time they're too wrestling heavy and you don't get them down, but you get separation and reset back to striking.