[DENIED] Add “Professionalism/Work Ethic” Hidden

RegularJohn

Suggestion: It could be called “Professionalism/Work Ethic” or whatever. It would be a hidden skill that prevents or enables fighters from achieving their full skills, eventually makes them have less than optimal gains from a given training session, even eventually makes them have a subpar performance in a fight, etc.

Suggestions Description: The game is slow paced and heavily favors old managers who have their own private gyms. If we add a “Work Ethic” hidden skill that adds some unpredictability to training gains and even to in-fight performance, we're starting to even the playing field for new managers. A new player with no VIP might create a new fighter who has good hiddens and with great “Work Ethic”, overcomes less than optimal training, with a little bit of luck overperforms in a given fight, etc. The Hidden skill would tick randomly - on a given day, you get a message saying that “Fighter X showed up to the gym in bad conditions and had a poor training session”, “Fighter Y was on fire in training today!” or a pre fight message saying “Fighter K had a bad training camp and is not 100% today”.

Pros:

• increases realism
  • evens the playing field
  • makes it more likely that new players develop a top fighter

Cons:

• it adds some “unfairness to” the game

Even the playing field for new managers means another random ability that is an addon to learning speed? I am not seeing how this would add anything to the game as it stands, and if it works the way you make it sound it should work against players who have put time into the game? Let me know if I am missing something here. There is plenty of unpredictability with the way abilities are generated, some managers are committed to cutting anything less than the best and training only what they plan on keeping. I'm open to solutions for gym's but I think access for that is addressed in another suggestion. 

• Upvote 1

Skill point cap is already randomised between two values as I understand it, all this does is make it a little more sketchy long after a fighter has been developed & I think that's a shitty deal after all the hoops managers jump through to select worthwhile project fighters.

Front-loading selection failure points I am okay with, surpise-screwing a fighter after managers have invested a bunch of time & money is a complete dick-move only masochists could appreciate.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Skuzbukit said:

Skill point cap is already randomised between two values as I understand it, all this does is make it a little more sketchy long after a fighter has been developed & I think that's a shitty deal after all the hoops managers jump through to select worthwhile project fighters.

Front-loading selection failure points I am okay with, surpise-screwing a fighter after managers have invested a bunch of time & money is a complete dick-move only masochists could appreciate.

I think on paper it's a great idea. However, realizing a year later that the fighter you spent a lot of time and energy training up is actually not going to be worthwhile would be extremely frustrating in this game since it takes so long to develop prospects. Works well in other sims, probably more annoying than it would be worth in MMA Tycoon.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like most criticism here is about the hidden ruining an otherwise good fighter, which was not how I pictured.

It should be a hidden that kicks in randomly, not so often, shouldn't be affecting you every single fight. (unless you had ~zero points, but even then it could be controlled to prevent creation of total lazy bums).

12 hours ago, venom09 said:

Even the playing field for new managers means another random ability that is an addon to learning speed? I am not seeing how this would add anything to the game as it stands, and if it works the way you make it sound it should work against players who have put time into the game? Let me know if I am missing something here. There is plenty of unpredictability with the way abilities are generated, some managers are committed to cutting anything less than the best and training only what they plan on keeping. I'm open to solutions for gym's but I think access for that is addressed in another suggestion. 

I didn't mean it to sound like “an addon to learning speed”. it wouldn't kick in that often. But yes it would work against players who have put time into the game (like myself), as a way to give new managers a puncher's chance. There is plenty of unpredictability with abilities but once you tested and trained and your fighter made the cut, he is a little machine who performs exactly the same for a long period, which is not very realistic.

7 hours ago, Gator001 said:

at the end of the day vip is what pays for this game. penalising those that have stuck it out through the good and bad is not a good business model. In fact it will have the opposite effect. There will be no game without vip managers

That's overdramatic but it makes sense in the end.

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't sound any different to the learning speed hidden... Having something like this in parallel to learning speeds feels like an unnecessary shortcut to artificially level some relatively non-existent playing fields. I would get 0 satisfaction from getting a fighter with high professionalism hidden and cutting to the top of the P2P as a result; that's one way to quickly tire the game out and make it boring for all involved.

There's a fine balance when it comes to these things, one of which being the learning speed hidden - it already provides new and old players an equal playing field so long as you're playing within your ID range when starting - if you look at the Island as an example, old and new managers have a level playing field where they all go against each other with relatively similar fighter stat distributions. 

If the intent with this was for the new boy on the block billy KO'ing the top P4P fighters because of his turbo-charged Professionalism then unfortunately the intent is misdirected. I like the creativity that comes with the suggestion though so I appreciate you taking your time to put this together as it helps us think about another dimension to an already solid system.

Unfortunately, we won't be progressing with this suggestion so therefore it's denied. Hope you're not discouraged from suggestion more of your ideas in the future!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Vlad changed the title to [DENIED] Add “Professionalism/Work Ethic” Hidden