Give Champions the Respect they Deserve

Fade2black

When Looking at a managers profile page and seeing the list of his current fighters, there should be some kind of symbol that represents when their fighter is a Title Holder, or at one time a Title Holder. I dont know what this symbol could be (like a gold asterisk for current champion and a silver for ex-champion or something)

But I think it would be sweet to look at a manager profile and see which of his guys is or was a champion

+1... however why stop there? Why not make titles mean something? give them prestige rateings based on how well they are booked, and have that prestige value give a hype/pop boost to whoever is holding the strap ...

So your left with a situation were the titles that are booked well in good orgs will give tempory hype/pop boosts to champions resulting in the ability to sell out bigger arenas for championship fights were the belts are handled properly ... and in orgs that dont book champions well ... negative effects on cards the champions headline ... or does that make too much sense for people ? :P

+1... however why stop there? Why not make titles mean something? give them prestige rateings based on how well they are booked, and have that prestige value give a hype/pop boost to whoever is holding the strap ...

So your left with a situation were the titles that are booked well in good orgs will give tempory hype/pop boosts to champions resulting in the ability to sell out bigger arenas for championship fights were the belts are handled properly ... and in orgs that dont book champions well ... negative effects on cards the champions headline ... or does that make too much sense for people ? :P

+1 to the OP and +1 to your suggestion Tempest, sounds pretty cool.

That's a really cool idea. Belts don't really mean anything in the game right now and this would change that.

I've heard this proposed several times in the past, but it always gets shot down - usually because any org can have a title, and, thus, it creates situations where I can create an org, add titles just to give my org a boost or my fighters a boost.

So, my question would be, what defines "booked well" or "orgs that don't book champions well"? Is it a standard % of the hype + pop (could inspire fighters to fight more excitingly and finish since orgs would be less inclined to give highly hyped fighters title shots if they have no pop)? Standard % of just hype? Is it with-in the top 5 of the org's divisional rankings (easily abusable)?

I'm not saying this is a bad idea - on the contrary, I like it, but just saying '+1' adds nothing - how would this actually be implemented?

I've heard this proposed several times in the past, but it always gets shot down - usually because any org can have a title, and, thus, it creates situations where I can create an org, add titles just to give my org a boost or my fighters a boost.

So, my question would be, what defines "booked well" or "orgs that don't book champions well"? Is it a standard % of the hype + pop (could inspire fighters to fight more excitingly and finish since orgs would be less inclined to give highly hyped fighters title shots if they have no pop)? Standard % of just hype? Is it with-in the top 5 of the org's divisional rankings (easily abusable)?

I'm not saying this is a bad idea - on the contrary, I like it, but just saying '+1' adds nothing - how would this actually be implemented?

For a title to have worth, it should be directly related to the hype of the org and the two fighters each time who compete for the title. This would mean the worth of a title could build up over time and should have several positive effects. One being that the top orgs will have the top titles however it should also stop paper champs being developed as cans will have a detrimental effect on the title overall.

It should also have the effect of creating powerful titles in each city which will hopefully spread the power out

For a title to have worth, it should be directly related to the hype of the org and the two fighters each time who compete for the title. This would mean the worth of a title could build up over time and should have several positive effects. One being that the top orgs will have the top titles however it should also stop paper champs being developed as cans will have a detrimental effect on the title overall.

It should also have the effect of creating powerful titles in each city which will hopefully spread the power out

To continue playing devil's advocate...

I often see people complaining about the gap between the established orgs/players/fighters and newer orgs/players/fighters being "too large" and a "level that cannot be caught". Wouldn't this just serve to extend that gap? The top org's titles are the best because it is the top org meaning they provide the biggest boost to that orgs fighters and events which, in turn, keep that org atop the rankings.

To continue playing devil's advocate...

I often see people complaining about the gap between the established orgs/players/fighters and newer orgs/players/fighters being "too large" and a "level that cannot be caught". Wouldn't this just serve to extend that gap? The top org's titles are the best because it is the top org meaning they provide the biggest boost to that orgs fighters and events which, in turn, keep that org atop the rankings.

A wise point but then it would seem to me and this could be simply naive, but when you have something that is all about it prestige, it needs to actually represent the prestigious nature of the belt.

It could also open up interesting ideas that people have a very prestigious belt at one weight class but another weight class could hold little fame (in the UFC Lightweight is not as prestigious as welterweight) so that could open up another aspect

Re: "Anyone can have an org" , Anyone can have a company to sponsor there own fighters upto $50,000 , let that money dry up , the company go bust and re-up VIP to go without losing out, this doesn't establish a base value of $50,000 ingame credits at 3months worth of VIP and it isnt a wide spread issue in its self so that premise of that argument i find flimsy given that just because something can be done doesn't mean it does get done ...

But i wont stop there, the whole point of prestige in particular is to ensure that certain criteria is met in order to be classed as 'well booked' and gain the positive rather than negative effects... i would suggest one of the categories checked would be "is title holder's manager the same as contenders manager" to safe guard self boosting. Another factor could be "how many times has title holder faced title contender" to witch an excesses of twice would start to pull the prestige down rather than up, in addition to these safe guards we could also add something like prestige kicks in after the title has been defended in the org at least 10 times (not by the same person, just that belt has been represented at least 10 times in the orgs history) so that at a minimum an org would need to be on its 10th event, and then we can set a base line for checking the quality of match ups the belt has been involved with at the last 10 fights at any given time.

Much in the way that we both hope org rankings will be based on consistency over time, the belts prestige would be based on the consistency of the matchups over the last 10 bouts, this would inc the rankings vs rankings setup of each bout both p4p and wc , the skill point difference vs age ratio if you realy wanted to get technical (maybe not, im just throwing that one out there, feedback plz) , and to some minor (less than 15%) effect the fight ratings involved in the last 10 bouts ... but this should very much be about how well the title has been booked on paper for the most part with the actual playing out of the bouts having a minor stake in the total value allocated at the end of the day.

The reason is to encourage owners to do the right thing by there fighters and to challenge them to maintain booking consistency's , it would grant rewards to people who did and penalize the Joel's of this game who consistently have beast vs can match ups for titles.

You asked "what defines "booked well" ... " , id argue that you are more qualified to state that than i'am but above is my suggestions ... id love to hear your side if you could not be the devils advocate for one post :P

They key thing would have to be the consistency of booking, booking 9 perfectly acceptable bouts and then throwing a can vs beast matchup into the mix should result in upto 40% setback on the work the 9 other matchups would have achieved into the equation if that makes any sense at all.

Do i know how exactly this would work? More so in my head than on paper, but i dare say it wouldn't be an easy add to the game if it was to be anything that means anything beyond cosmetics, but i do think it would A ) Increase the challenge to good org owners and B ) Penalize bad org owners to the point they would be forced to at least consider changing there ways ... and while there may need to be a fair amount of back end math to make it work i think the principle can be applied to org rankings aswell in the long run so maybe its not a bad testing grounds for such a major change to the game that is surely needed.

As far as the argument about the gap between top level orgs and medium level orgs or w/e ... i think this actually forces top level orgs to stay consistently good rather than been able to coast along as so many seem to, but even then at this stage once an org is at the point of having PPVs and such like a lot of the top 10 orgs are, an org starting today is going to have a hard time catching them in even 24 months time, but it isn't impossible ... Blitz did it... so that arguments mute because your living proof it can be done with commitment, but it takes time and a lot of help. Anything that forces people to maintain creativity at the top end of the game is good with me.

*snip*

It could also open up interesting ideas that people have a very prestigious belt at one weight class but another weight class could hold little fame (in the UFC Lightweight is not as prestigious as welterweight) so that could open up another aspect

See thats kinda of the vision for the future i had in mind when this idea dawned on me. (yeah im sure its come up before, but when sat around thinking about this is saw reasons to join certain orgs beyond what they were paying or what there actual org rank was, maybe im joining a lower ranked org with a specificaly higher prestige in my weight class...)

It could also open up interesting ideas that people have a very prestigious belt at one weight class but another weight class could hold little fame (in the UFC Lightweight is not as prestigious as welterweight) so that could open up another aspect.

Excellent point, I like that. And "belt's prestige" is pretty cool so yeah. That could add competition to the big orgs as well, like for example, org A has a great MW title, and almost every MW fighter in the world are actually joining org A. Orgs-of-the-same-size like org B and org C have to do a lot of business management and apply strategies to keep org A from pulling their MW fighters. And org A's owner has to figure out how to hold the prestige value of that MW title.

Maybe to separate top orgs and mid-tier and low end orgs, the hype of the fight org could determine the value of the belts by level in each city.

Level 3 15+

Level 2 6-15

Level 1 Top 5 Orgs

This way, the prestige of a top org can be maintained without killing the smaller orgs. The hype/pop boost to the fighter and org could be different in every level (but not by a lot, a good prestige org ranked #11 can have just as much as a decent prestige org ranked #1). I'm not sure how this would work but its kind of my idea.

The belts could also have a prestige ranking number. All orgs would get exactly the same boost (top orgs will remain top orgs as long as they keep having competitive title fights) depending on their prestige rating. It could start out at a certain number and drop or rise depending on how well matched the fighters are.

BUT WHY STOP THERE!!! An org can have a ranking that depicts the fairness of the fights it offers (by hype or by ranking or by primaries or by all, I dont know...)