What are you listening to?

Beck

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a bit of a Norwegian black metal kick this week and finally decided to give Ulver a real go. I'm listening to their first album now and really like it so far.

This bring me memories. Used to play guitar in a black metal cover band during my teenies.

My problem with (most) black metal is production sucks on purpose.

I dunno how kids nowadays call it, but when I was young we used to call it melodic death, like Kalmah and (early) In Flames, these are my go to when Im more into the heavier stuff.

This bring me memories. Used to play guitar in a black metal cover band during my teenies.

My problem with (most) black metal is production sucks on purpose.

I dunno how kids nowadays call it, but when I was young we used to call it melodic death, like Kalmah and (early) In Flames, these are my go to when Im more into the heavier stuff.

Hades by Kalmah and the Clayman album by In Flames were responsible for getting me into heavier metal in middle school. You should check out Insomnium.

I get what you're saying about deliberately shit production, but a lot of the early Norwegian BM albums have pretty great production. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, In The Nightside Eclipse, A Blaze in The Northern Sky etc still sound great almost 30 years later. Emperor in general has great production, as does Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, Darkthrone etc.

Even something as new and as un-Norwegian like Abigail Williams sounds great.

Hades by Kalmah and the Clayman album by In Flames were responsible for getting me into heavier metal in middle school. You should check out Insomnium.

I get what you're saying about deliberately shit production, but a lot of the early Norwegian BM albums have pretty great production. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, In The Nightside Eclipse, A Blaze in The Northern Sky etc still sound great almost 30 years later. Emperor in general has great production, as does Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, Darkthrone etc.

Even something as new and as un-Norwegian like Abigail Williams sounds great.

I used to cover satyricon and DT.

Only band production I really like is Borknagar. I dont know how to classify them tho....

Cradle of Filth's Midian is GREAT tho.

This is a cover of that song I legit enjoy

I think thats the only version I dont dig lol

I even like the original one. Black Metal to the core!

Think I found a video of that, Mannetosen is in it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0YXfeNxJJ0

Didn't listen to BM enough to get all the references, but think what they did there is quite clever.

YES! I know Nanowar! They are awesome! TBH that was quite accurate, when we teenies were in black metal bands but sometimes had to mingle with mundane people and perform the fornicate ritual