UFC 162: Silva vs Weidman

Silva was being Silva. Same tactics he's used in the past to bait folks into bum rushing. Weidman, and I've said this before at least on Sherdog, Is the closest thing to what we've seen as Silva's weakness before in Catch Wrestlers. Freestyle and Greco Wrestlers give Anderson problems. but he hasn't faced a wrestler with submission skills since his two losses back in his Pride days against Takase and Chonan. Weidman presented just that. An aggressive wrestler with submission skills. I'm not surprised at all by the outcome of this fight. though I did think it'd be a sub win for Weidman.

Hope we get a real fight in the rematch. I was pulling for Anderson but he deserved to lose for fighting like a moron. The fluke is probably that it hasn't happened in a previous fight. I thought it was gonna happen against Maia when he was acting like a jackass in that fight.

• Upvote 2

Hope we get a real fight in the rematch. I was pulling for Anderson but he deserved to lose for fighting like a moron. The fluke is probably that it hasn't happened in a previous fight. I thought it was gonna happen against Maia when he was acting like a jackass in that fight.

Anderson will lose every time he fights Weidman. He won't get knocked out, but it will be 5 rounds of what we saw in the first. Weidman has everything that Sonnen has and more. And he's far more consistent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

yesterday was just un freaking believable. The fact is Anderson Silva as we know him never showed up.

He showed up like he always did. And he got knocked the fuck out. He always had this "odd behaviour". This is one of those rare occasions in which Fman is right. Probably because he remembers how disillusioned he was when his hero Fedor stopped being untouchable. When Anderson clowns around and knocks a guy out it is testemony of his divine talents, but when it backfires people ask what's wrong with him.

But I would not be surprised to see Wiedman do little better than Forest did.

Basically the real answer to your question is he has a chance to win as a blanket.

A farseer is what I call you.

• Downvote 4

Forget about what happened in the past. If Silva were to fight Weidman again I don't think he would lose every time. The fight would likely go the distance but I feel it would be closely contested and hard to judge. I don't know who would win that bout but if we can all agree on something I think it's that the rematch would be one of the greatest fights we'll see (short of the p4p greats of MMA facing off).

Here's my logic on the rematch: If Anderson comes to fight next time around he'll come out accurately picking his shots sticking and moving and stuffing as many takedowns as he can. He obviously wouldn't stuff all the takedowns but if Weidman shows the same accuracy in his takedowns in the next fight the decision wouldnt be a landslide in his favor and we all know that.

But i guess we'll only know when we see it.

I still can hardly believe it lol. Not that he lost, but the way he lost just really leaves so many questions in this matchup...

• Upvote 2

Silva's leg kicks looked pretty solid. He should use those (until Weidman catches them) in the next fight. Speaking of leg kicks. How about Barboza winning a 2nd fight by leg kicks. Oliveira's leg was nasty.

Silva's leg kicks looked pretty solid. He should use those (until Weidman catches them) in the next fight. Speaking of leg kicks. How about Barboza winning a 2nd fight by leg kicks. Oliveira's leg was nasty.

Honestly I'm surprised more guys don't utilize leg kicks more. Guys that have good kicks want the highlight reel knockouts and is usually costs them.

Honestly I'm surprised more guys don't utilize leg kicks more. Guys that have good kicks want the highlight reel knockouts and is usually costs them.

Kicking momentarily puts you in a position where you lack a real base. That's pretty bad in MMA.

He showed up like he always did. And he got knocked the fuck out. He always had this "odd behaviour". This is one of those rare occasions in which Fman is right. Probably because he remembers how disillusioned he was when his hero Fedor stopped being untouchable. When Anderson clowns around and knocks a guy out it is testemony of his divine talents, but when it backfires people ask what's wrong with him.

The most accurate fighter of all time did not land a punch. Even fat injured Munoz landed a couple of punches on Weidman. Even freaking K1 Maia did so. Anderson did not (counter) attack using precision punches - he was content to dodge, throw leg kicks and attempt a strong head shot here and there. It was definitely not Silva as I know him. If it is the Silva you know, I honestly have no idea which Silva you've been watching to this point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here's my logic on the rematch: If Anderson comes to fight next time around he'll come out accurately picking his shots sticking and moving and stuffing as many takedowns as he can.

What i think is that if there was a rematch he would put his hands up and smile less. That would be the main difference. He would still clown around though. I think that is part of his intimidation tactic to make the other guy feel insignificant + to open him up.

As for him accurately picking his shots. He was doing that this time as well. It was not as if he was swinging like crazy.

He's breaking that rule for the past 7-8 years

When you're as far above the competition as Anderson has been, you get to break rules. Weidman was someone who he wasn't so far ahead of he could get away with it though. Plus Anderson has historically been a bit more sound with his dodging.

The most accurate fighter of all time did not land a punch. Even fat injured Munoz landed a couple of punches on Weidman. Even freaking K1 Maia did so. Anderson did not (counter) attack using precision punches - he was content to dodge, throw leg kicks and attempt a strong head shot here and there. It was definitely not Silva as I know him. If it is the Silva you know, I honestly have no idea which Silva you've been watching to this point.

The Silva that you know didn't land a punch? Well, the Silva that I know landed 14 of 24 against Weidman, which is 58%, very close to his average. If he wasn't backpedaling so hard because of his fear of being taken down it probably would've been higher. But that goes two ways, Weidman wouldn't have to shoot from the other side of the arena and go 1 on 3 on his takedowns, well below his average.

I'm as surprised as anybody that Weidman knocked him out, but I was confident that he would beat him. He's custom built to beat Silva. He's the Sonnen without the fucking up. The world class JJ one. The 24/7 version instead of the 24 minute 30 second one. Silva tried his usual shenanigans on Weidman and got punished for it.

• Downvote 3

I don't think Weidman is as good as said on the ground, the first takedow he got against silva were more a mistake from silva after a good sprawl. In the round 1 Silva dominated him in the stand up and started to humiliate him, Weidman was very confuse. He was way too much cocky in round 2 that's all.

I'm pretty sure Silva could beat him but he was more determined to make some clowning moves and put a show.

• Upvote 1

i think silva was just as frustrated really -- he relies on countering and weidman wasnt really playing his game on moving forward -- he was throwing but more from a base and not lunging in like others have done -- i do think silva has a good chance of winning the rematch but weidman has a good shot of winning too -- for one he already knows he can put silva out and silva knows it too

i think silva was just as frustrated really -- he relies on countering and weidman wasnt really playing his game on moving forward -- he was throwing but more from a base and not lunging in like others have done -- i do think silva has a good chance of winning the rematch but weidman has a good shot of winning too -- for one he already knows he can put silva out and silva knows it too

Yup.

Weidman was 1/4, btw, because of his style that eventually frustrated Silva into taunting. Silva in no way wanted to press the action and get caught on the ground, especially early in the round. Both were doing their gameplan, and it was Silva who wound up blinking. Its horrible watching everyone try and take the piss out of Weidman for beating Silva, but thats exactly what he did - he out gameplanned Silva.

If Silva's striking was more tight - more jab oriented and in control - then he doesn't need to worry as much about Weidman's TDs. But he kept Weidman as far away as possible, and only taunted him to try and see some wild striking. Failed. And somehow that cheapens the victory for Weidman? get the fuck outta here. Silva was beaten, and it was no fluke. Weidman deserves the strap and the accolades that come along with it, regardless of whether or not some keyboard jockeys want to give it to him.

• Downvote 1

^ agreed. The way Silva fought does not diminish in any way Weidman's accomplishment. He's the champ and it was no fluke - he was the better fighter then. Looking on to the other side, though, that was far from the best Anderson Silva performance. And that's actually why I'd like to see a rematch: if the AS from last saturday night shows up again, I think he may really be done with this.

I don't think Weidman is as good as said on the ground, the first takedow he got against silva were more a mistake from silva after a good sprawl. In the round 1 Silva dominated him in the stand up and started to humiliate him, Weidman was very confuse. He was way too much cocky in round 2 that's all.

I'm pretty sure Silva could beat him but he was more determined to make some clowning moves and put a show.

if you think the takedown was an accident you dont know shit about wrestling, and weidman is a prodigy on the ground, he match some of the best in the world at addc without being a pure grappler and its just amazing. the takedown arent use as a final act but to put pressure and stop the striking of the oopoment.

silva back to the cage and hands down was a silva scared for the takedown. so the cage and the hands down was there to counter a takedown attempt. weidman didn't rush him because silva is letal in counter punch.

believe me the next fight, weidman win by unanimous and gnp W.