UFC 162: Silva vs Weidman

dont try and compare bonnar to weidman. bonnar is one of the worst wrestlers at 205, while weidman is one of the best at 185. bonnar was tailor made for anderson to embarrass. he's an aggressive striker with almost no punching power....what chance did he have against anderson? anderson eats up aggressive strikers already, one with no power is a cakewalk for him.

anderson was frustrated. every boring fight anderson has been in were fights where the other fighters refused to engage him and play into his counter striking. weidman wasnt blatantly trying to run at anderson like all these others who have failed. anderson taunts these guys so they get frustrated and go at him...thats how they ended up getting embarrassed with fade away jabs and anderson's other techniques.

anderson was doing well with the legkicks. after the fight...i'm not too sure how a rematch would go honestly. it didnt make me more confident in either guy. i picked weidman to win, but he spent a little too much time on the feet for my liking, and i dont know if he'd be able to drop anderson with another left hook like he did this time. his success would be on the ground...where he did very well in the last fight, but he was getting away from that a bit. i would pick weidman again, but the fight would play out completely differently imo.

i think there's a very realistic possibility that anderson could be on the downside of his career. i'm not trying to say that and sound like a hater, but the guy is 38 and strikers have a shorter shelf life than grapplers. the day anderson lost his natural gifts is the day he wouldnt be able to dominate anymore. has that time come? i'm not sure...it's too early to tell off one fight. i do think one ko like he suffered is career changing though.

• Upvote 2

dont try and compare bonnar to weidman. bonnar is one of the worst wrestlers at 205, while weidman is one of the best at 185. bonnar was tailor made for anderson to embarrass. he's an aggressive striker with almost no punching power....what chance did he have against anderson? anderson eats up aggressive strikers already, one with no power is a cakewalk for him.

anderson was frustrated. every boring fight anderson has been in were fights where the other fighters refused to engage him and play into his counter striking. weidman wasnt blatantly trying to run at anderson like all these others who have failed. anderson taunts these guys so they get frustrated and go at him...thats how they ended up getting embarrassed with fade away jabs and anderson's other techniques.

anderson was doing well with the legkicks. after the fight...i'm not too sure how a rematch would go honestly. it didnt make me more confident in either guy. i picked weidman to win, but he spent a little too much time on the feet for my liking, and i dont know if he'd be able to drop anderson with another left hook like he did this time. his success would be on the ground...where he did very well in the last fight, but he was getting away from that a bit. i would pick weidman again, but the fight would play out completely differently imo.

i think there's a very realistic possibility that anderson could be on the downside of his career. i'm not trying to say that and sound like a hater, but the guy is 38 and strikers have a shorter shelf life than grapplers. the day anderson lost his natural gifts is the day he wouldnt be able to dominate anymore. has that time come? i'm not sure...it's too early to tell off one fight. i do think one ko like he suffered is career changing though.

I agree with most of what you say except that I was in no way trying to compare Bonnar and Weidman. I was making fun of the fact that Brawlaf said that Weidman made Anderson put his back against the cage.

I wouldn't say he "suffered" a knockout. More like he suffered some embarrassment. I can't imagine anymore than a mild concussion from that fight (if you're talking about the medical aspect of it idk). I seriously doubt he will all of a sudden develop alzheimers or any other sort of brain degrading condition anytime soon and especially not from that fight. He knows where he went wrong and I dont think hes the type of guy to get discouraged just because he got knocked out. I know he's a striker and he got knocked out and its similar to a bjj expert getting subbed but it was just the wrong gameplan for the fight and he knows it he even said it. We now know that the rematch may happen sooner or later and we also know that Silva won't be using the same tactics in the next fight...

Given that, you are right the fight will not go the same way but theres noone in the world that can or will predict either sides gameplans or outcome of the fight right now. The rematch is at least a year a way and im already friggin psyched for it.

And I'm still rooting for Silva regardless of how in over his head and down the drain his career seems to be to so many ppl who wouldn't be saying these things had the fight gone the distance. (And if the fight did go the distance I still don't know who would have won it but YES i still favored Silva)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

anderson was frustrated. every boring fight anderson has been in were fights where the other fighters refused to engage him and play into his counter striking

I agree with almost everything you say, but again the Maia fight stands out. He was a legit threat on the mat, and after winning a couple of rounds Anderson gassed out and started doing the macarena. iirc Maia was even tagging him with some solid shots and having a way higher output in general.

It's hard to shoot in on someone who keeps their hands down like that. If Anderson acts like less of an idiot in the rematch the takedown is going to be there more often.

it's hard for sure, but i think weidman was starting to fall into anderson's game a bit. he shouldve been trying to grab some of those legkicks late in the round instead of standing.

and yeah maia was tagging him late, but maia was really bad at striking at that point. i give maia a lot of credit in that fight...i remember he was throwing punches from his knees, while trying to get up from a takedown attempt. he never tried to stop winning. anderson seemed to gas a bit...it was outside in the abu dhabi heat, so that may have played a factor.

I think Silva had no determination to really win this fight, not saying he threw it but even before the fight he just seemed like it was an afterthought and didn't seem motivated. If they have a rematch hopefully he will get up for it but I think he got tagged and the outcome may have been different but Weidman def looked good just hope in rematch Silva looks like he is actually there to fight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with most of what you say except that I was in no way trying to compare Bonnar and Weidman. I was making fun of the fact that Brawlaf said that Weidman made Anderson put his back against the cage.

its not because bonnar was a joke that doesn't mean anderson actually put his back on the cage on the purpose. back to the cage,hand down, waiting to counter strike : fear of the takedown.

• Downvote 1

There's a reason that Anderson doesn't want a rematch. He's sick and tired of the pressure that comes from his fans thinking that he's the Messiah. He's done trying to live up to it. He wasn't less than any other night. He knows it. His fans seemingly still don't.

• Downvote 2

I will be picking Weidman in the rematch. Silva's style relies on him being faster than his opponent, it looked to me like Weidman was considerably faster. It looked to me like Silva started clowning in the first round to try and fool the judges into thinking he won the round, where it was clearly Weidman's IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

were we watching the same fight? I saw the same fast moving Silva that always was and the only reason that shot dropped him was because he was leaning back with his hands down and his eyes pretty much closed. If his hands were up and he was ready to actually move his head and block the shot and have the proper stance that shot wouldnt have knocked his head back. you may interpret as you wish but theres no way Silva looked slow in there and I don't think Weidman is faster than him by any means. By any means.

• Upvote 2

Do people really believe Anderson gassed in the Maia fight? He looked fine for the last 3 rounds, just bored. He didn't gas in Sonnen I, and he was getting beat up for 5 rounds. How could he have gassed in 2 rounds by just dancing and playing air guitar?

As for the Weidman fight, I disagree with what most people seem to be thinking. I think Weidman got a lucky punch. Anderson wasn't throwing anything but leg kicks, and went way overboard with the showboating, but he looked comfortable. Weidman was already breathing with his mouth wide open, his striking was slow and sluggish (though his head movement was surprisingly good), and his takedowns were getting stuffed. Unfortunately when you've got your chin up in the air, you're leaning back at a 45 degree angle and a 200 pound man punches you with all of his force, you're going to get ko'd. Stupid mistake by Anderson, but props to Weidman for not giving up or being intimidated.

• Upvote 1

I don't like Weidman but he is just going to how Demian Maia is going to be at Welterweight, long, strong, takedown, submit. The only difference is that Weidman has A LOT to develop and learn and he definitely has the best grappling all 'round in middleweight and knows how to use it effectively, he's hardly overrated but I believe Silva will knock him out if they have a rematch. Weidman is not the best in the world, YET.

And I knew bonnar didn't have a chance against silva, Bonnar and Bader have the same sort of build and power and watching the way Silva sparred with bader again the cage, I just KNEW Bonnar was going to be EXACTLY the same and Silva would be too fast

Even though Bonnar's striking is on another level than Bader's ofcourse ;p

Am i the only one sick to death of these immediate rematchs? I mean come on he didn't lose a close 5 rounder he got knocked the fuck out. I don't care how long he has been champion that shouldn't mean if you lose your belt you should get an instant shot at getting it back, he should have to work his way back up like any other contender IMO.

• Downvote 3

I am sick of the instant rematches too, but I think it is the right thing to do in this case. I mean who are you going to put over him to fight Weidman? Vitor? Okami? Bisping? None of those make much sense to me.

• Upvote 1

For everything bisping has done i think he deserves a shot if weidman wins and bisping wins his next fight, he's underrated and has good takedown defense and can get back to his feet very well, he's VERY intelligent too with a great gas tank

I am sick of the instant rematches too, but I think it is the right thing to do in this case. I mean who are you going to put over him to fight Weidman? Vitor? Okami? Bisping? None of those make much sense to me.

TBH i don't care who they would of put up as long as it wasn't Silva coming off a clear cut 2nd round KO loss, also if Silva really never wanted the rematch like he said in the first place they would of had to put someone up anyhow. I personally wouldnt have a problem with Vitor getting a shot, he has only lost to Jones and Silva in his last 10 or so fights. Bisping is 2-2 in his last 4 so he shouldn't get it. UFC is too worried about money Dana was already trying to promote a fight 5 minutes after the first fight talking about super bowl weekend, after Silva said he didn't even want a rematch.

This is Anderson Silva we are talking about, not Chael Sonnen so there is no reason to complain.

And Weidman v Maia, Weidman threatened to sub him every time it went to the ground, something nobody else has done except Fitch with that guillotine, Weidman is a great grappler although Maia was a lot smaller

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Am i the only one sick to death of these immediate rematchs? I mean come on he didn't lose a close 5 rounder he got knocked the fuck out. I don't care how long he has been champion that shouldn't mean if you lose your belt you should get an instant shot at getting it back, he should have to work his way back up like any other contender IMO.

Mate..... come on.... Silva has beaten the shit out of pretty much all the other contenders and dominated the division/been champ for fuckin ages? And he was no.1 p4p till he lost. The guy deserves a rematch I think. Who do you think should be next up for title shot? Vitor seems like the only guy who could be in the running which in a way is fair enough although Silva absolutely KTFO of Vitor... your comment seems like one of those guys who agrees that Silva is the best then he suddenly loses and is mediocre and deserves to be with the rest of the bunch. He is now no.3 p4p and you think he should 'work his way' up as if he wasnt even in the top 10? Stop blazing too much and remember his many years dominating everyone. Nothing against you, just against this comment ha. But if you asked ANYONE in the MW division if he deserves a rematch I would like to think they would say yes cos he is an outstanding fighter, this guy is an exception. I 100% agree with the rematch.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lol too right, I've seen more complaints about Silva getting a rematch than I did Chael, and not to mention the JBJ fight. Also, if somebody is in the top three P4P, they are entitled to a rematch. Besides, most people want to see it anyway, nobody is forcing you to watch it ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No need to get upset guys its just my opinion, i don't know why you think im one of those guys that thought Silva was great but now he is medicore since i didnt say anything like that in my post. I just think that coming off such a KO loss that he shouldn't get a rematch and im sure there are plenty of people that think the same. I also dont agree with the " He kicked Vitors ass who else do you want him to fight" thing that everyone keeps saying.

Yes Silva is the greatest UFC fighter so far but does that really mean he should get an imediate rematch after he just lost by KO? Not IMO and i would have the same opinion if it was any fighter. Since when do you have to beat the champ twice to take his title? Because that is what is happening here.

And as far as the guy above me Chael also won 4 and a half rounds of a 5 round fight and then had 2 more fights to fight his way back up so i dont know how people could compare this rematch to that one in anyway. Of course no one is going to force me to watch the fights, just because i dont agree with the match up doesnt mean i wont watch it im sure you dont agree with every fight thats made either.