Rate the last movie you saw ...

Solo - 7.75/10

I think it is the best Star Wars movie among the last 3 new releases. As a hardcore SW fan going back to the original series, i liked that they connected Solo's story to all the key elements such as the meeting with Lando, how he met Chewy, the millennium Falcon etc, the whole plot also fit with what we expected from a young Han Solo, there was also plenty of action and the setting was as usual very impressive.

Star Wars: Episode VII 6.25/10

I watched this again on TV before watching Solo and my view is exactly the same. The writer of this film clearly did not spend time watching the original 3 films because this was suppose to be a continuation of those. In terms of "how good the film was" for a passive fan who did not really see the previous films, then this film was fantastic, but for fans of the series that wanted to see what happened after the Empire was dismantled, then this made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

For one, how did the bad guys go from being totally destroyed to being totally dominant? In Empire strikes back they totally annihilated them, so how in hell did they go from there to dominating the universe again and building a "death star" 20x bigger than the original? That is the next thing........................how unoriginal was that? The best thing the Empire could think about is creating a death star XXL? Come on guys, be a little more creative than that.

I hated how they made Luke Skywalker look so pathetic and weak (This is in the next film the Last Jedi), for god sake, the dude was suppose to be "the man", i know he is an old / somewhat unsuccessful actor and they did not want to give him a big part, i get that, but at least make him follow the path he is suppose to follow. About the girl, how did she go from "not knowing shit" to being a master of the force? It took Luke around 3 films to get to where she is now (ie being able to beat Darth Vader), and he had to get plenty of mentoring to get there, she went from nowhere to being the master.

I also think the "new Darth Vader" is also way too manipulated for a guy who is suppose to be untouchable, i most certainly did not like how he dumped the mask so easily. I rather he start without the mask and then transition to it. Having a storm trooper "convert" to the good side was about the dumbest thing you could come up with, this was the second time (the first being Kylo) where the good sides manipulated into the dark side's ranks, it should be the other way round!

All in all, this film was basically 1-3 compacted into one film story wise, just you had Poe replace Solo, The girl replace Luke, there is a new emperor, a new Darth Vader and a new death star. They basically spent this film + the next one "killing off" all the old cast and pave the way to the new guys, the plot though was very similar. I guess they think all of the original viewers are too old to remember or have died and they are purely focusing on "rebooting" what already worked instead of focusing on new material. For a passive fan of sci-fi + fantasy films, this was a great film to watch, but for old school fan's who wanted to see what happened, this film is clearly not a continuation of what happened, it is a clearly new film. I like that the Star war's stories are trying to at least patch up all the missing holes, there is a huge hole left between 6th and 7th film.

Solo - 7.75/10

I think it is the best Star Wars movie among the last 3 new releases. As a hardcore SW fan going back to the original series, i liked that they connected Solo's story to all the key elements such as the meeting with Lando, how he met Chewy, the millennium Falcon etc, the whole plot also fit with what we expected from a young Han Solo, there was also plenty of action and the setting was as usual very impressive.

I completely agree on this one. I wasnt too excited about Solo after the last Jedi but since I am a fan of the franchise I felt obligated to watch it and it was the best of the recent movies easily. Star Wars stories so far have been far better than the Star Wars movies.

• Upvote 1