The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

Nah, it's not so much the shape (although that's condemning) because I'd imagine a lot of oval stadiums look like that. It appears like a solid rim though (much like a seat), which is where stadiums like the Emirates differ.

Alderweireld is actually a pretty smart signing. He is better than most would expect. He is solid, good pace and crossing. A deal closer to 10 million would have been better , but they didn't overpay that much. He has impressed me in the Belgian national team lately.

From what i see and read he is a more physical Vertongen, very similar to his style of play though. We should have 2 of the best ball handlers ad DC in the league next year.

Cabaye is a great signing for Palace, and I like Alderweireld too (though I wish he went to Southampton, my 2nd team).

Anyway, reports that Man City has agreed to buy Raheem Sterling for 49 million pounds. That's just insane. That used to get you Zinedine Zidane, 14 million less got you Alexis Sanchez last year, holy shit that's a crazy price tag for him. Great work from Liverpool to extract that much for a player who wants to leave D:

The only issue now is, do Liverpool spend that money wisely? I'm betting most of it goes towards Benteke or something, and as someone pointed out... Downing + Mignolet + Lovren = £49m so....

I'm delighted Liverpool got rid of that joker for 49m. Anything to disrupt our rivals! He's not a goal scorer. He's obviously got character issues. Good riddance. Great decision by Delph not to disappear in the black hole of Man City himself as well.

I also find it amusing when clubs buy heavily in one area and disregard their actual needs. Man U for instance are getting two more central midfielders, despite having Herrera Blind Carrick already. Nick Powell is a good youngster that seems like he'll never get a chance. Van Gaal splashing the cash willy nilly.

Arsenal on the other hand are doing their stereotypical not buying anyone strategy. Cech is a good acquisition but Wenger says he trusts the players he's got..... Never heard that before have we Arsene.

Why is it only Mourinho understands you must have two top players for each position? No more no less. With the youth teams to support them if needs be.

From what i see and read he is a more physical Vertongen, very similar to his style of play though. We should have 2 of the best ball handlers ad DC in the league next year.

Not per se more physical, but he is even better if he has one of his days. He used to be underrated in my opinion for too long. A smart player that will add value to the team for sure.

I'm delighted Liverpool got rid of that joker for 49m. Anything to disrupt our rivals! He's not a goal scorer. He's obviously got character issues. Good riddance. Great decision by Delph not to disappear in the black hole of Man City himself as well.

I also find it amusing when clubs buy heavily in one area and disregard their actual needs. Man U for instance are getting two more central midfielders, despite having Herrera Blind Carrick already. Nick Powell is a good youngster that seems like he'll never get a chance. Van Gaal splashing the cash willy nilly.

Arsenal on the other hand are doing their stereotypical not buying anyone strategy. Cech is a good acquisition but Wenger says he trusts the players he's got..... Never heard that before have we Arsene.

Why is it only Mourinho understands you must have two top players for each position? No more no less. With the youth teams to support them if needs be.

and that is why Mourinho will win again...

Raheem Sterling for 49 million pounds is a joke. Liverpool just hit the jackpot in my opinion. I would not give 20m for him, let alone 50m. Raheem is a pacey wing player, nothing more or less, but from what i see the English premium kicked in again. Liverpool have a pretty good chance to get in 2 top notch players for that money. I mean you can probably get 3 really good players if they are slightly older (26-28y). I was hearing Pedro (from Barca) was on the market not so long ago for 15m! I would take Pedro over Raheem any day, or at least it is debatable who is better, most certainly Raheem is not worth over 3x more.

Not to mention City just let players like James Milner walk off for free..... English premium right their..... but as my dad said "The value is only applicable to the person paying, if you've got that much money everybody's value is higher. It's just how much are you willing to pay"

Can't believe Bayern let Schweinsteiger walk off for 14.5 mil to Man Utd.. I rated him as one of the top midfielders. Will be interesting to see how he does in England. As a Chelsea fan, I'm a little worried. Mourinho does his business swiftly and if he hasn't signed anybody yet, we probably won't be signing anybody. But I desperately want to get rid of our mule (Mikel) and get somebody else in there. Maybe give Loftus-Cheek a chance I suppose. I was nervous last year and my dad just kept reminding me ..."Have faith in Mourinho, he buys the right players and knows what to do" so I'm gonna have faith.

Can't believe Bayern let Schweinsteiger walk off for 14.5 mil to Man Utd.. I rated him as one of the top midfielders. Will be interesting to see how he does in England. As a Chelsea fan, I'm a little worried. Mourinho does his business swiftly and if he hasn't signed anybody yet, we probably won't be signing anybody. But I desperately want to get rid of our mule (Mikel) and get somebody else in there. Maybe give Loftus-Cheek a chance I suppose. I was nervous last year and my dad just kept reminding me ..."Have faith in Mourinho, he buys the right players and knows what to do" so I'm gonna have faith.

I heard it was 20M but that might be in euros, not sure :P

Jose has signed Begovic to replace Cech as backup GK and he's also signed Falcao on loan from Monaco. I have a feeling Mourinho will be able to get Falcao to score more goals at Chelsea than he managed at United, fingers crossed he wont be injured much.

I heard it was 20M but that might be in euros, not sure :P

Jose has signed Begovic to replace Cech as backup GK and he's also signed Falcao on loan from Monaco. I have a feeling Mourinho will be able to get Falcao to score more goals at Chelsea than he managed at United, fingers crossed he wont be injured much.

Falcao has been given number 9, Mourinho seems really hot on him still, so guess we just have to see how he does.

Chelsea are also interested in Pedro, for his 30 million euro buyout fee. I've never really seen him play as I almost exclusively only watch Chelsea or the BPL, but I've heard good things. Don't know if he'd be better than Willian or not and I rate Willian as one of the most underrated players at Chelsea.

Willian is a cracking player. Not sure why Jose wants another winger consider Cuadrado hasn't been playing much since he joined, he should at least give him a proper chance.

Just entered my dream team today, pretty happy with it.

CJ4s2PPWsAEOv5h.png

http://i.gyazo.com/8255dd2483d0e2588978943d571eb816.png

Is my team

Schweinsteiger is 30y old, plus i heard it was 20m. If it was just 14.5m Man U got a bargain for sure, he will do fine in England, the German league is physical and fast paced as well.

The reason Chelsea has done nothing is because they do not really need to do much. They won the league with ease last year. Adding Falcao in place of Drogba, adding Begovic as a backup keeper (in place of Cech) and bringing in someone like Pedro for more depth seems like more than enough. I am looking at the Chelsea squad at the moment and no real changes are needed. You have just 2 players 30+, one is Terry which had arguably his best year last year and Ivanovic, which was an all 11 selection as well. I would say Pedro is a good move as it will add more depth on the sides. William is more of a AM, not that much of a winger and Cuadrado was not that consistent, so the Pedro move sounds great.

Schweini's body is breaking down, that's why he's so cheap. That said, still surprised Bayern let him go. He, like Lahm, IS Bayern. I'll pretty much associate those two with the Bayern we currently know. It'll be strange seeing him in a different team.

I have been reading a LOT about Schweinsteiger and his so called decline. I have even been hearing that Man U made a mistake buying him, even at that price. TO be honest i have not been watching the German league that closely to have an opinion on the matter. I am still shocked to hear him going so cheap. I remember when something similar happened with Ballack. Truth was that when he joined Chelsea he was not the same player, however he still helped them out and must still be considered a good purchase for them and went on to play 105 times over the 4 years he was there.