The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

I have been reading a LOT about Schweinsteiger and his so called decline. I have even been hearing that Man U made a mistake buying him, even at that price. TO be honest i have not been watching the German league that closely to have an opinion on the matter. I am still shocked to hear him going so cheap. I remember when something similar happened with Ballack. Truth was that when he joined Chelsea he was not the same player, however he still helped them out and must still be considered a good purchase for them and went on to play 105 times over the 4 years he was there.

Well the truth in my statement is there in the stats. 3 out of the last 4 seasons have been his 3 least league appearances for Bayern's first team outside of his first year. Even more damning is his last season where his 28 appearances in all competitions is way down on his next least (again excluding his rookie 2002-03 season).

There's no doubt he's still capable and I think he improves Man U slightly, but his body has dropped off the pace and these things don't get better. He's noticeably had more longer term injuries lately.

Younes Kaboul has been sold to Sunderland for around 4m. He was not going to be playing this year anyway, so it was a good move for us. I read we are still trying to offload Soldado, Adebayor, Chiriches.

One rumor which i do not get is us making a 8m bid for Victor Moses (Chelsea). To me he is not an upgrade from Lennon + he plays for Nigeria which means he will be losing the better parts of January / February every year due to that African Cup they hold every year. In comparisson to Lennon i would say he is stronger, but his dribble is very straight forward and he is also slower, plus his crossing ability is nothing great either.

Moses is pretty rubbish, and that's being generous. Better hope you don't get him.

Delph has done a U turn and joined City after all! That is ultimate Judas behaviour, or rather money hunting behaviour. They must have offered him whatever he wanted as they need the UK players for their quota. Villa fans have been tweeting their best wishes for his loan move to Stoke in 2018. I reckon Everton myself..

Younes Kaboul has been sold to Sunderland for around 4m. He was not going to be playing this year anyway, so it was a good move for us. I read we are still trying to offload Soldado, Adebayor, Chiriches.

One rumor which i do not get is us making a 8m bid for Victor Moses (Chelsea). To me he is not an upgrade from Lennon + he plays for Nigeria which means he will be losing the better parts of January / February every year due to that African Cup they hold every year. In comparisson to Lennon i would say he is stronger, but his dribble is very straight forward and he is also slower, plus his crossing ability is nothing great either.

It's every two years btw!

I am also hoping the Moses rumor is just that.

I also ready about the Delph move. After all the crap of him not joining he did exactly that in the end.

"ready"?

I'm pissed about Delph doing a U-turn. Disgusting to say he couldn't wait for the start of the season and then just decides to leave. Aston Villa will be favourites for the drop once Benteke leaves as well.

"ready"?

I'm pissed about Delph doing a U-turn. Disgusting to say he couldn't wait for the start of the season and then just decides to leave. Aston Villa will be favourites for the drop once Benteke leaves as well.

Ready = i meant read.

Yeah, it is a bit dissapointing to see Delph U-turn, but end of the day i guess money talks. This is one of those transfers which is clearly a money move due to the new Home Grown regulations. I doubt Delph will be making more than the bench or the League Cup squad.

I think he's genuinely shot his England career in the foot too. I don't think England is particularly stacked in his position (or anywhere really), but I can still think of better. With no playing time at City, he'll likely find it near impossible to obtain more caps. Also shocked Villa didn't bargain to sell him for more. They could have really protracted that deal process for longer (even with Delph wanting to leave) because of Man City's needs + Delph's public statement (meaning if it got ugly, people would be less sympathetic towards him being held hostage for a higher price).

Meanwhile, in bizarre friendlies of the week, Manchester City just played sister/feeder club Melbourne City (formerly Melbourne Heart) in the Gold Coast.... even though Melbourne is no where near that location, and Melbourne even has a 56,000+ capacity stadium called Etihad Stadium (though I doubt it'd be able to be used as it's being used for AFL). I guess all the big stadiums in Melbourne were being used for more important things though this night (56k Etihad had AFL, 90-100k capacity MCG had Real Madrid vs AS Roma, and the 30k AAMI Park had rugby last night). I still have no idea why they didn't simply play the local league team instead of dragging Melbourne City all the way out there.

I saw a commercial during the fights about a game between the MLS Allstars and the Spurs...Go MLS.

Yeah, apparently we are the opponents of the MLM all stars. Gerrard and Lampard will be in that game as well.

Hi Mentor I know you blocked me in game but, could you please post this around LOD if they want to compete in this tournament?

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50414

It might be fun.

Chelsea seem pretty intent on John Stones, I think thats a good signing for us. Adds depth and also a possible replacement to John Terry when he eventually retires.

Hi Mentor I know you blocked me in game but, could you please post this around LOD if they want to compete in this tournament?

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50414

It might be fun.

Chelsea seem pretty intent on John Stones, I think thats a good signing for us. Adds depth and also a possible replacement to John Terry when he eventually retires.

Chelsea need somebody for then, cause Terry carries that defence. I don't like him as a person but as a footballer he's incredible. Cahill is solid but not champo league on his own. Chelsea need somebody their

Stones is solid and has the potential to be a future key CB for England. I hope he'll be as good as Terry when he's older and not Cahill as he can be a bit sketchy when he's not beside Terry.

Roberts signs for Man City, seen him play in the FA Youth Cup and was impressed. Wont be surprised if he never plays for City first team.

Stones is solid and has the potential to be a future key CB for England. I hope he'll be as good as Terry when he's older and not Cahill as he can be a bit sketchy when he's not beside Terry.

Roberts signs for Man City, seen him play in the FA Youth Cup and was impressed. Wont be surprised if he never plays for City first team.

We got Zouma too, who impressed me very much, playing in defensive midfield which he is not acustomed too but still stood up and did it. I definitely think Zouma is our next captain. With Stones as well, that's a force to be reckoned with.

City on a youth striker spending spree this summer and I don't get why if they got Pozo and the hype around Devante Cole is to be believed

Ibra might come back to Ac Milan after 1 August. I would love to see him back, but it's a bid stupid that they already signed two other attackers, Bacca and Luiz Adriano and now would sign him. I wouldn't have bouth Adriano, but Ibra. They already have Menez , Matri, ... and a lot of other forwards.
What they really need is central defenders and a good creative midfielder.

We got Zouma too, who impressed me very much, playing in defensive midfield which he is not acustomed too but still stood up and did it. I definitely think Zouma is our next captain. With Stones as well, that's a force to be reckoned with.

I doubt he'd be our next captain, would be too young to take over from Terry when he retires. Can't see Terry playing beyond the 2016/2017 season.

Potential future captains of Chelsea:

Zouma - Too young and I can't imagine him inspiring the team to victory.

Cahill - English would be 31 by 2016/2017 and so might be too old however he could be a short term solution.

Azpilicueta - Number 1 LB at this time and can't see anyone removing him from that position any time soon. Been here 3 seasons so far.

Ivanovic - Commanding figure amongst the squad though currently 31 so would be a short term solution

Hazard - One of the best footballers in the world at this time, not sure how inspirational he'd be to the rest of the team

Costa - Plays with a lot of passion, can lose his temper at times.

Courtois - Our future GK for probably 10 years at least. Again, like Hazard I'm not sure how inspirational he could be to the rest of the team.

RLC - Depends on whether or not he breaks though, if he breaks through I doubt he'd get the captaincy but if the next captain is a short term solution, he could very well be a long term solution providing he has the quality to play in the first team.

I doubt he'd be our next captain, would be too young to take over from Terry when he retires. Can't see Terry playing beyond the 2016/2017 season.

Potential future captains of Chelsea:

Zouma - Too young and I can't imagine him inspiring the team to victory.

Cahill - English would be 31 by 2016/2017 and so might be too old however he could be a short term solution.

Azpilicueta - Number 1 LB at this time and can't see anyone removing him from that position any time soon. Been here 3 seasons so far.

Ivanovic - Commanding figure amongst the squad though currently 31 so would be a short term solution

Hazard - One of the best footballers in the world at this time, not sure how inspirational he'd be to the rest of the team

Costa - Plays with a lot of passion, can lose his temper at times.

Courtois - Our future GK for probably 10 years at least. Again, like Hazard I'm not sure how inspirational he could be to the rest of the team.

RLC - Depends on whether or not he breaks though, if he breaks through I doubt he'd get the captaincy but if the next captain is a short term solution, he could very well be a long term solution providing he has the quality to play in the first team.

Ivanovic or Cahill will likely be the new captains. For a captain 31 is not old for a captain, in fact most captains are appointed that in their late 20s/ early 30s.

PSG sign Benjamin Stambouli from Tottenham. I love the sales we have been making this year, Levy has clearly understood he overpaid for some players and is offloading them at cut cost this year. I think we are 3 players away (Soldado/Adebayor/Chiriches) from offloading all the deadwood. I suspect a very active end of July/August for us in the transfer window getting in their replacements.