NBA 2014/2015 season

Mentor

Honestly I am ok with having a down season to get a high draft pick and pick up another potential star

I don't think you'll be bad enough with the injuries to get a high draft pick. Celtics, Magic, Timberwolves, Bucks, Lakers are a lot worse and pacers play in the weak east so they'll be on the edge of the playoffs

• Upvote 1

I don't think you'll be bad enough with the injuries to get a high draft pick. Celtics, Magic, Timberwolves, Bucks, Lakers are a lot worse and pacers play in the weak east so they'll be on the edge of the playoffs

Damn.........you have a very valid point

Magic give Vucevic a 4 year 48 million(53 mil with incentives) extension.

I'm kind of meh on Vuc for that much money, but I dont think any top FA's are going to go to Orlando until they start winning. Which could be a few more years.

If there is one sport that throws out loads of money for mediocrity more often then baseball, it's definitely the basketball.

If there is one sport that throws out loads of money for mediocrity more often then baseball, it's definitely the basketball.

Vuc is far from mediocre. He is an elite rebounder and solid scorer. Solid starting NBA centers never come cheap. Vuc is only 23 and will likely improve even more. What I don't like about him is his average at best man defense and lack of rim protection skills. He also is always a little beat up throughout the season. What they paid is definitely far less than what he would have got in FA.

I do like the possible combination of Oladipo and Aaron Gordon, but after that.........you guys need a lot of work.

I don't like Gordon, it was a shit pick. Guy has no shot, Orlando will be lucky if he becomes Bo Outlaw(who I loved, but wasnt a high pick). Vuc is the best asset on the team, followed by VO. Harris and O'Quinn are solid role players.

I don't like Gordon, it was a shit pick. Guy has no shot, Orlando will be lucky if he becomes Bo Outlaw(who I loved, but wasnt a high pick). Vuc is the best asset on the team, followed by VO. Harris and O'Quinn are solid role players.

I liked the pick for you guys, the guy was an elite defender in college, is very athletic, underrated passer if he figures out his shot then its brilliant.

I liked the pick for you guys, the guy was an elite defender in college, is very athletic, underrated passer if he figures out his shot then its brilliant.

Not to mention Gordon was only a Freshman last year, so he has plenty of time to grow and develop.

As a Lakers fan seeing Kobe play injury free is about the best thing i can hope to get out of my team this year. I am somewhat optimistic about our chances though. If Kobe can be injury free and i heard Nash is in the best shape he has been for the past 3 years, you already have 2 ex-MVP's in the team. I think Boozer has seriously degraded, but he should get us 14 pts and 7-8 rebs. Add Young, Randal and an underrated (well he was underrated until they paid him 9m per season) Jordan Hill, i think we have at least a chance to get to the playoffs.

That is my point as well. A LOT of people see him as being a top 10 player and in the PF/C position maybe a top 2-3. I have no idea how they come to that assumption. I mean, is Love better than: Aldridge, Blake, Durant, Rose, Howard, Westbrook, Paul, Curry, Lebron, Melo? Those are just 10 which came to mind and most certainly Love is not as good as. This season will show who was right. I think Kyre and Lebron will do their thing, lets see if Love lives up to the expectations.

The other player i do not rate anywhere near as much as they are saying is Marc Gasol. Unlike Love though, Marc does not even have the numbers. How can Marc win the defender of the year award? Can someone explain that to me? I mean the guy cannot jump, he is slow, he had under 8 rebs, under 2 blocks and just one steal in the season when he achieved that. Funniest thing of all is that he only made the 2nd defensive team! How can you be the league Defensive MVP and not make the first defensive team? I mean, think of it this way, is Marc even the best Center/PF defensive player? Is he better than Howard, Noah, Deandre Jordan? Again, those are just 3 big men off the top of my head which Marc is NOWHERE near. He is a decent player with great IQ, good passing ability and leadership, but to give him the credit he is getting is ridiculous.

As a Grizzlies fan, I have to defend Marc. First of all, I think he is definitely the 2nd best big man in the NBA behind Howard. As for defense specifically, here is a pretty good article on what makes him so great defensively: http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/15/4108416/marc-gasol-grizzlies-defensive-player-of-the-year. Also, the 2012-2013 season when he was fully healthy and won DPoY, he led all bigs in defensive win shares and was second in the entire NBA only behind Paul George. If you're into advanced analytics, that's a pretty important stat. He's not flashy, but his basketball IQ is off the charts and that intelligence helps guide arguably the best defensive team in the NBA.

• Upvote 1

As a Grizzlies fan, I have to defend Marc. First of all, I think he is definitely the 2nd best big man in the NBA behind Howard. As for defense specifically, here is a pretty good article on what makes him so great defensively: http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/15/4108416/marc-gasol-grizzlies-defensive-player-of-the-year. Also, the 2012-2013 season when he was fully healthy and won DPoY, he led all bigs in defensive win shares and was second in the entire NBA only behind Paul George. If you're into advanced analytics, that's a pretty important stat. He's not flashy, but his basketball IQ is off the charts and that intelligence helps guide arguably the best defensive team in the NBA.

I still remember when Marc came into the league and a lot of analysts said he would never come close to being as good as Pau (pretty funny when they were traded for each other with a few other players). I think if Marc was on one of the "bigger market teams" he might be ahead of Howard in most organizations eyes. He is vastly underrated big man, but hey people have been saying that about Memphis the last few years so he fits in well.

Yeah i read that article, and there is no doubting the guys IQ, he is easily one of the top players in that category. Plus do not get me wrong, he is an elite player. He covers ground well, contests and also is in the right place, but is that enough to win him the DPOY? Not sure, however one thing is certain that he is the first player probably ever to win this award based on basketball IQ, usually you need to lead the rebounding, steals or blocking stats for that.

On a side note though, Howard which is probably a stats monster on the defensive end is the opposite of Gasol when it comes to doing the right thing. He often is way over physical on plays, he often goes for that monster block when all he should be doing is contest and blocking out. I guess these 2 guys are good examples though of players which won the award based on totally different logic.

So it looks like Steve Nash is out for the season with a back injury. Anybody else think that this is the end of the road for Nash and he retires???

I think it was the end of the road for him for a while. Too old, too slow and too injured to be playing.

• Downvote 1

So it looks like Steve Nash is out for the season with a back injury. Anybody else think that this is the end of the road for Nash and he retires???

Yeah, he's done. I really think he would've retired this prior offseason but 9 mil was too tempting. Now he gets to lay back and draw paychecks for being injured. Not calling him selfish either, just smart business.

Yeah i read that article, and there is no doubting the guys IQ, he is easily one of the top players in that category. Plus do not get me wrong, he is an elite player. He covers ground well, contests and also is in the right place, but is that enough to win him the DPOY? Not sure, however one thing is certain that he is the first player probably ever to win this award based on basketball IQ, usually you need to lead the rebounding, steals or blocking stats for that.

On a side note though, Howard which is probably a stats monster on the defensive end is the opposite of Gasol when it comes to doing the right thing. He often is way over physical on plays, he often goes for that monster block when all he should be doing is contest and blocking out. I guess these 2 guys are good examples though of players which won the award based on totally different logic.

I think that's a fair assessment. I personally wouldn't want Howard in Memphis and would much rather have Gasol, but I think that is more about fit. Gasol and Randolph compliment each other really well. Howard is too much of a paint clogger for my liking on the offensive end and teams could crowd the paint even more if he were paired with Z-Bo.

Based on this program they have the Warriors winning the west:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2014-nba-preview-the-rise-of-the-warriors/

According to the same program they have the Lakers ended 15th in the west. Not sure i can agree with the Warriors being a favorite in winning the west or the league though. They have the Spurs as ending 3rd with the Clippers 2nd. One thing is certain though, the west will be entertaining and very close. In the east i see it more of a 2 team race with the Bulls and Cavs.

• Downvote 1

I think the Lakers need a new team doctor or at least the guy that evaluates players during their physicals before they draft/sign players.

I think Lakers need to get rid of Kobe and start rebuilding ASAP. Julius' injury (I wish him fast recovery!) puts Lakers even lower than they were before...

They arent getting rid of Kobe they are branding him they dont want him to go to another team and end his legacy like MJ did, but it sucks for them abour Randle, he may never be the same which being a rookie he still had to progress without injury

Ok. Kobe will give you his 22pts+ per game, but what besides that? I personally believe he will get around 25pts per game if he can stay healthy, but besides that...is he really that good now-days? :/ Especially with money he takes from Lakers...I really hope they won't offer him another deal after this ends, coz that would be ridiculous move...resigning Kobe now to a big deal would be admitting "Yeah, we dont care about winning titles anymore" :/