Bellator Steals a Huge Name

Deuce7

Maybe he didn't want to resign with them? It is a shocker...

Maybe. I mean the only thing I can think of is he couldn't see himself beating the top guys of the division. He lost to Johnson and Bader, but beat Glover..........I just don't understand the move unless Bellator paid him a ton of money.

Wow that is a little surprising. My guess is that Bellator probably overpaid to steal him away, and though I am a Davis fan and I think he's a really good fighter. I can see why the UFC wouldn't want to pay top dollar to keep him. He's not overly exciting to watch and it's not like he has this huge fan-base that will dish out money to buy a PPV just because Phil Davis is on it. And unfortunately it's not all about wins and losses with the UFC as Jon Fitch found out. You have to appeal to the fans and make them want to pay to watch you. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is if you want to command top dollar

Im sure Bellator overpaid for Phil, but i like what they are doing. However, i dont like Phil's move... As a Phil fan i would rather have seen him change divisions than go to Bellator. No matter who he beats there he will never develop his striking enough THERE to compete at top level in the UFC

Bellator probably gave him a lot of money and the UFC didn't bother to match it because it's Phil Davis.

Bellator wanted to make a splash signing an UFC contender, offer him a contract that the UFC balk at and tell him to enjoy Bellator. In this case i think everyone is a winner, Bellator made their splash, Davis made his money and the UFC get to ditch a Jon Fitch like fighter; a great fighter just not the best to watch.

I still think the UFC comes out on top though, Bellator are signing guys who are castaways or mid level guys. The UFC are pinching their best fighters who are entertaining.

• Upvote 1

I had completely forgotten about his domestic violence case until I read this.

Ahhhh same here. That would be a justifiable reason to not bring him back (on top of not being an "exciting" fighter).

Bellator wanted to make a splash signing an UFC contender, offer him a contract that the UFC balk at and tell him to enjoy Bellator. In this case i think everyone is a winner, Bellator made their splash, Davis made his money and the UFC get to ditch a Jon Fitch like fighter; a great fighter just not the best to watch.

I still think the UFC comes out on top though, Bellator are signing guys who are castaways or mid level guys. The UFC are pinching their best fighters who are entertaining.

It would be really nice if Bellator bought a guy like Pettis now :D Or Barao if he loses again :)

It would be really nice if Bellator bought a guy like Pettis now :D Or Barao if he loses again :)

Both of those guys are fun to watch, i highly doubt that either of them will end up in Bellator, and it wouldn't be nice let us not forget that Bellator has Shamrock fighting Kimbo... i mean seriously i thought Gonzaga vs Cro Cop was pushing the boat out a bit for the UFC (both of them done fantastic) but both Kimbo and Shamrock will be walking out in their zimmers.

Seems shrewd by the UFC.

The two recent losses mean he is a minimum of 3 significant wins away from the title but he has a big enough name to be considered 'top tier'. This way Davis either goes away and wins the Bellator title so the UFC can bring him back as a guy who has 'come good' and you have an intimidate big banner fight as pay off. Or, he goes away and flops and they can move on or bring him back cheap.

Both of those guys are fun to watch, i highly doubt that either of them will end up in Bellator, and it wouldn't be nice let us not forget that Bellator has Shamrock fighting Kimbo... i mean seriously i thought Gonzaga vs Cro Cop was pushing the boat out a bit for the UFC (both of them done fantastic) but both Kimbo and Shamrock will be walking out in their zimmers.

I'd much rather see Shamrock vs Kimbo than CM Punk vs some nobody they find so he can get a win... or see two girl fighters who look like girls fighting on the main card over real fighters who look like fighters.

• Upvote 2

I'd much rather see Shamrock vs Kimbo than CM Punk vs some nobody they find so he can get a win... or see two girl fighters who look like girls fighting on the main card over real fighters who look like fighters.

Meh i'd rather not see any of the three but that is the world we live in. I would be intrigued though if he fought that power ranger guy, i told some people in chat when i was a youngster i always wondered who would win in a fight, a power ranger or a wwf wrestler, i might finally get an answer if they fight.

What a joke, Phil is boring and one dimensional, and he knew he couldn't hang with the best and wanted some easy fights to pad his record and his ego.

You mean except for the times he clowned Teixeira and Gustafsson?

• Upvote 2

You mean except for the times he clowned Teixeira and Gustafsson?

I was thinking the same thing... Beat Machida too,as far as im concerned Machida has been less entertaining in his last 3 fights. Phil lost to bader and rumble (who went on to decapitate the mauler)

I understand why the ufc wouldnt care,hes a wrestler and they dont generally sell tickets. But reading this thread makes it sound like he completely sucks and never accomplished anything in the ufc

• Upvote 1