The 2015/2016 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

That is a decent debate (in regards to Terry being the best English CB for the past 15-20y). He is probably the most consistent in that role for sure. I think he could of done better on the international level though. For his club he has been awesome though.

Well in this debate I can only really think of Rio Ferdinand, Tony Adams, Martin Keown and Jamie Carragher who you could put in the world class category for the last 20 years. Am I missing any off there?

I never really considered Jamie Carragher or Keown as world class, both very good defenders, but not at the level of the other 3 mentioned. I think Sol Campbell was probably up there when he was at his peak. Rio and Terry are probably better than the lot, Tony was a bit slow and often exposed against pacy strikers (I remember that Shevcheko game in the Ukraine, he got burned)

Tottenham have won the £5million race to sign highly-rated Fulham striker Moussa Dembele. I think this is a good move. I never watched him live but he seems a pretty good prospect for a 19y old. The only problem is that we have 2 Moussa Dembele's in our team (One has one S in Moussa, lol)

Tottenham have won the £5million race to sign highly-rated Fulham striker Moussa Dembele. I think this is a good move. I never watched him live but he seems a pretty good prospect for a 19y old. The only problem is that we have 2 Moussa Dembele's in our team (One has one S in Moussa, lol)

Seems like they've pulled out over the loan back request which is bizarre. Potentially letting someone else jump in which is a shame as I think he suits you guys

Seems like they've pulled out over the loan back request which is bizarre. Potentially letting someone else jump in which is a shame as I think he suits you guys

Yeah, i read about that today. Apparently Levy is being an idiot, we agreed on the fee, but he does not want to send him back on loan for the season. Personally i think we should agree that because he is raw still. He needs to get some playing time which is what he has now. He will be benched if he comes over now. We should do what we did with Dele Alli, we bought him in January and sent him back to the Dons for the end of the season, it payed off as he came ready for this year. I think Moussa has good strength, pace and is a good finisher, but his technique and first touch needs more work, he will get there, but at the EPL level he wont get much time to play. He is not the type which can play on the wings either. I rather keep Chadli and Son as the backup forwards and leave this guy get some experience.

Ok the biggest news is a summer transfer done in advance:

Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola as new manager from summer onward!

I am sure that has a few people at Man City excited.

The English media is fucked up though, all they are saying now is Messi to Manchester...

Messi has everything he needs at Barcelona. Plays for the best club in the world for one of the most dominant teams ever in footballing history. Him, Neymar and Suarez get on really well unlike Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale. Pep wasn't even the guy to give him his first start, that was Rijkaard.

It should also be interesting to see how Pep handles shit in the EPL. At Barcelona he was handed the best team on the planet and just about didn't manage to crash it, brought in guys like Ibra who just didn't fit into any strategy at all. At Bayern he was given the reigns of the a juggernaut and the backbone to a future world cup winning squad, put in a bit of Spanish passing flair with Alonso and Thiago and developed a really good team in the end. The difference is in the EPL realistically there are 4/5 teams which can win the league at any given time, he is getting his hands on a squad which is falling apart; not primed for success.

Kompany is no longer the iron man defender of yester years. No idea what the hell has happened to him but he has caught the injury bug really badly. Sagna, Zabaleta, Kolarov and Clichy are all in their 30's now. He realistically needs to replace a full defence.

I would think he is going to build that team around Sterling and Kevin by moving Sterling into the Messi role and Kevin into the Iniesta role. Sell off David Silva, Nasri and Navas to bring in a bit more funds for himself.

Aguero when healthy is one of the best strikers in the world, but I think he might head back to Spain and I see him making the switch to Real Madrid. This move I think requires the bargaining chip of Garth Bale heading to City, perhaps in a straight swap to avoid Transfer regulations as both teams will be looking to reload and anyone vaguely familiar with Pep's tactics will know that Bale fits the bill perfectly as he can defend as well as attack. I don't see Ronaldo ever leaving Real Madrid, he has an iconic status over there and with Real Madrid in a win now mode I just don't see them keeping Bale who hasn't endeared himself to Madrid fans over Ronaldo.

As far as this transfer window goes the biggest winners are Leicester City, they turned off all the phones in their office and ran about saying lalalalalala we can't hear you. How the hell they managed to hang on to their squad is crazy to me.

The Messi rumors are going on for years, as are the Ronaldo ones. I doubt Messi will leave and i cannot see Ronaldo going anywhere until the summer. As for Leicester, i did not expect them to sell in this window, they have a realistic chance to get CL football next year, which is a huge payoff, so unless it was some crazy offer for Vardy or Mahrez, i did not expect them to sell.

I think Spurs actually ended up weaker after this window. They failed to secure Dembele or anyone to backup Kane, which is still our lone recognized striker, we offloaded Townsend, Fazio (Loan), Veljkovic and Pritchard (Loan) (ok, none of those were playing, but they were your backup). We got Adebayor off the books. I would say all of those were good moves in general, but i would have liked to see one impact player in, possibly someone like Caulker (on a loan as a backup at the CB position now Vertongen is out for 2 months). As it stands, we have just 2 DM, 3 CB (one is injured), 1 Striker and technically no legit wingers! All we have is fullbacks and midfielders. We still are playing in 3 competitions. If we get hit by injuries, we are basically going to be fucked. We will need to play players in positions they are not used to playing (such as playing Chadli as an all out striker)

The Messi rumors are going on for years, as are the Ronaldo ones. I doubt Messi will leave and i cannot see Ronaldo going anywhere until the summer. As for Leicester, i did not expect them to sell in this window, they have a realistic chance to get CL football next year, which is a huge payoff, so unless it was some crazy offer for Vardy or Mahrez, i did not expect them to sell.

I think Spurs actually ended up weaker after this window. They failed to secure Dembele or anyone to backup Kane, which is still our lone recognized striker, we offloaded Townsend, Fazio (Loan), Veljkovic and Pritchard (Loan) (ok, none of those were playing, but they were your backup). We got Adebayor off the books. I would say all of those were good moves in general, but i would have liked to see one impact player in, possibly someone like Caulker (on a loan as a backup at the CB position now Vertongen is out for 2 months). As it stands, we have just 2 DM, 3 CB (one is injured), 1 Striker and technically no legit wingers! All we have is fullbacks and midfielders. We still are playing in 3 competitions. If we get hit by injuries, we are basically going to be fucked. We will need to play players in positions they are not used to playing (such as playing Chadli as an all out striker)

selling Townsend will make any team stronger! good riddance to that clown!

Put it like that and I feel good about Spurs falling short this year! and Liverpool being able to catch them (..wishful thinking). At least Adebayor is finally gone. But I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs were still paying some of his wages?! That's what you always hear about Ade.

As for Messi, Neymar, any of the big guys moving to Man City or the Premiership in general there is no chance. They wouldn't leave the best teams in the world for English mediocrity. Maybe when PL clubs start competing in Champions League finals again and having some success internationally would that start to be a possibility. Most likely City and the other big spenders will be able to get some of the squad players from Barca, Real or Bayern who aren't playing so much and would be tempted by some silly money.

As for Guardiola, he never stays anywhere for long so 3 years will be the most City will get from him. Then it's all about who they have afterwards as manager.

I hope someone hires Mourinho so we have 3 of the biggest managers in the game in the PL. I have everything crossed that Klopp will stay at Liverpool for a good number of years. Please Jurgen! I love that guy.

I think Manchester Utd raids Spurs this summer, if it ends up being Ryan Giggs in charge then he will raid all the English talent you have. He grew up under Fergie and seen how Fergie became successful, you get in the young talent and let them flourish even if it takes a few seasons to get it together. Jose won't do that, he will try his plaster effort and try to win now which is the reason a majority of his clubs have struggled after a while because he buys in prime talent instead of nourishing talent. You guys harbor a lot of great young English talent and I could easily see Giggs shelling out around about 100mil for the three of them, perhaps a little more. They fall in the category of the 3rd tier London club (Chelsea and Arsenal are above) and know that they cannot compete financially with those guys.

I think Manchester Utd raids Spurs this summer, if it ends up being Ryan Giggs in charge then he will raid all the English talent you have. He grew up under Fergie and seen how Fergie became successful, you get in the young talent and let them flourish even if it takes a few seasons to get it together. Jose won't do that, he will try his plaster effort and try to win now which is the reason a majority of his clubs have struggled after a while because he buys in prime talent instead of nourishing talent. You guys harbor a lot of great young English talent and I could easily see Giggs shelling out around about 100mil for the three of them, perhaps a little more. They fall in the category of the 3rd tier London club (Chelsea and Arsenal are above) and know that they cannot compete financially with those guys.

I am not sure if you have been reading, but as of 2018 we will be competing financially with any club. Our stadium will fill 66,000 fans in it, with our ticket prices we will be earning more than any club in England. Also unlike any club we will also have a 20 million pound deal per year with the NFL to feature games in that stadium, that cash is equivalent to making it to the 1/8 of the Champions League every single year. We also have a surplus this year and a transfer pool of over 50 million left over from cash we did not spend and that does not even include cash we will get via the TV money, finishing in the top 4, playing in the CL and any cash coming from the board, which could quite easily take that transfer kitty to around 100 million if necessary. Unlike past years where players such as Modric, Bale, Carrick etc moved on to United or other clubs for CL football, it seems very unlikely going to happen now. In fact our top players have said they are happy here and want to stay at Spurs to win trophies at this club. If we fail to make it to the CL though it could be catastrophic, but that seems highly unlikely this time. We are looking above us, not below us.

Note: Tottenham were the 12-13th biggest club the past few years and that was even without CL money. We were the only club in the top 20 without CL football.

Last night we put on another strong display to beat Norwich 3-0 away from home. We had 2 posts as well, so it could easily had been 5-0. I think the game against City will be our biggest game this year. A win there will put us 2nd and in true title contention. A loss will probably humble us to the fact that this year it is a fight for a top 4 spot at best. We play them after Watford.

Last night we put on another strong display to beat Norwich 3-0 away from home. We had 2 posts as well, so it could easily had been 5-0. I think the game against City will be our biggest game this year. A win there will put us 2nd and in true title contention. A loss will probably humble us to the fact that this year it is a fight for a top 4 spot at best. We play them after Watford.

That win against Norwich also put us into 3rd on goal difference. We have the best goal difference in the EPL this year, including the best defense. I am not sure, has anyone not come 1st while having the best goal difference?

That win against Norwich also put us into 3rd on goal difference. We have the best goal difference in the EPL this year, including the best defense. I am not sure, has anyone not come 1st while having the best goal difference?

Last season Chelsea +41 Man City +45 and I now Liverpool had the best without winning one year..aorund 07-10 somwhere. United won..

Last season Chelsea +41 Man City +45 and I now Liverpool had the best without winning one year..aorund 07-10 somwhere. United won..

Even if that is the case, i am pretty sure the best goal difference never ended below 2nd in any given year (we are 3rd currently), I was trying to find information online about this and i did stumble upon anything.

Well Spurs won 1-0 against Watford, i think we had close to 80% of the possession, so we are 5 points below Leicester and we will be 2nd unless Arsenal score 10 tomorrow. I also think Leicester have to be considered favorites right now. They also have no cup games to worry about, unlike the other top 4-5 teams. The only big question for them is to stay health and focused on what they are doing. I do think Leicester are a team which could drop points against the mid tier teams due to their style (counter attacking), so i am hoping Spurs can get a big win next week against City and stay close, i think we have an outside chance in winning it.

I also think City made a huge mistake announcing Guardiola's appointment so early. It cannot be good for the locker room moral telling your players early February that the coach is leaving in a few months time. They had enough problems as it is, so this only makes things worse. Today they gave up 30 minutes before the game was done and it was visible via their body language. Next they will be playing us coming off this 3-1 loss and i am pretty sure they still remember the 4-1 thrashing we gave them the first round.

Will be interesting seeing the result of the Leicester vs Arsenal game.

Fantastic result for Chelsea, makes me a little more confident for their game against PSG in the Champions League!

The way Chelsea has been playing, they will catch up to United (which have been poor to say the least). Arsenal got the result they wanted in a tough fought game with Leicester. It also makes the league more interesting because a Leicester win would had put them ahead of the pack.

I don't watch it much. Watched some yesterday, The West Brom match, the end of The Crystal Palace Match, and The Chelsea Match.