The New Players Guide to Effective Fighter Building

PSUMike

I had a project fight with about 4 weeks training. In that time, his wrestling popped 3-4 times, his boxing popped 3 times, and his JJ popped once. I was also able to get his conditioning up to remarkable and his strength to superb. But imo, 18 is the way to go for projects. I have 4 projects and 2 are fighting.

Bravo to this thread. I was convinced that it would die out pretty quickly because I didn't find it really interesting. Nice to see that other people try to help eachother out by giving advice. I must say I don't agree with a lot of things said here, but some other points of view never hurt. Information can only help.

The clinch is imo, the most underutilized and effective weapon in the game. Its so often neglected that you can clinch some excellent fighters to death.

Yes, some managers of strikers don't make an anticlinching plan and you can just grab em and beat the shit of them, or sometimes they even go to the clinch themselves lol.

If your up against a guy with high MT in comparison to bjj and boxing stay striking on the outside or shoot from the outside!

I can't really see how he can argue when you have some of the most successful and respected managers weighing their opinions in here. These guys have the record they do for a reason.

That's because I am not arguing. I'm weighing my opinion. Why do you bother to make this thread if only the opinions of the respected managers matter? I'm even the one who came up with some of the ideas you brought up here.

Yes, some managers of strikers don't make an anticlinching plan and you can just grab em and beat the shit of them, or sometimes they even go to the clinch themselves lol.

If your up against a guy with high MT in comparison to bjj and boxing stay striking on the outside or shoot from the outside!

Unless he's a pure headkicker, that is.

Having a really bad streak recently, but one of the only wins I got was against a guy who's boxing was worse than mine but MT was better. But he was a headkicker, so I clinched aggressively and ground out the win. Totally owned in the clinch. And it wasn't that I would have won on the outside anyway. He knocked me down twice with headkicks before I could clinch him up the first time. Fortunately, I had the edge on the ground, so he just stood up from mount both times...

That's because I am not arguing. I'm weighing my opinion. Why do you bother to make this thread if only the opinions of the respected managers matter? I'm even the one who came up with some of the ideas you brought up here.

I have several issues with your posts in this thread so I'll air them all out here.

1. I never said it was restricted to respected managers but at the end of the day, they are the ones who know more than 99.99999999999% of the other managers.

2. I made this thread to help other new managers and advise them on the dos and don'ts of building fighters. I feel this is a strong suit of mine in the game. I concede that gameplanning is a weakness of mine. If Avon created a thread on gameplanning, I would listen to every word he said. Likewise, when I created this thread, its a good idea to take notes as I have proven to be good in this respect.

3. I would really like to know what ideas here you came up with. Aside from advising managers to make their projects 18 and build them with 1 strength and 10 conditioning, these are 100% my own ideas and if you are implying I stole them, then I take serious offense. I spent about an hour writing this and even more time giving advice here. I'm more than qualified and my record is evidence. You said you don't agree with many things brought up here. Let's here where you think I went wrong.

I'm not calling you out. I don't particularly care for most of the things you post but at the end of the day, you are not a bad manager. So if you think you know something I don't, let's hear it.

Can't a good record also mean you only have project fighters, you only fight fights you can win and your doing that since day one.

You just need to know things in this game and the rest is maths.

1. I never said it was restricted to respected managers but at the end of the day, they are the ones who know more than 99.99999999999% of the other managers.

2. I made this thread to help other new managers and advise them on the dos and don'ts of building fighters.

3. Aside from advising managers to make their projects 18 and build them with 1 strength and 10 conditioning.

1. No, but you can't see how somebody could possibly disagree with what's already said in this thread. Don't be ridiculous, half of the posts here are yours.

2. That's why I cheer this thread on. This thread certainly serves it's purpose.

3. Do you know where that came from?

Judo is much harder to learn that BJJ.

but

BJJ is much harder to master.

i took judo for about 6 months and pretty much hated it. it was so boring.

i transitioned into karate (kwon ryu fu chi do, to be specific, which is a blend of 5 different styles), and did it for 6 years (got my black belt). MUCH more stuff to learn/master. maybe it was just my instructors in the judo classes i took, but it just seemed so basic and boring.

Hey PSUMike, have you ever seen a fighter who essentially maxed out both Takedown Offense and Takedown Defense upon creation and made a living taking down boxers and stuffing BJJers?

No, I haven't but that is the goal of my newest project, Josh Godcheck. His bread and butter will be his ground and pound but against a very tough BJJ guy, I would like to give him enough boxing skills that he'd pull off the KO.

I have a fighter like that. Not really on purpose, though. I wasn't gonna fight him for a good long while, and created him as a wrestling trainer in my gym. Took any secondaries that related to wrestling (well not clinchwork) just in case. Then I got bored, so he's fighting. I tend to get bored quickly, so my 18 year olds all have several fights. Doing pretty ok though, luckily.

However, my fighters all have more balance than a lot of other managers'. I focus on working to my opponents' weaknesses more than on my fighters' strengths. I've found it to work pretty well in general, though I am going through a rough patch now, as I've mentioned before

i took judo for about 6 months and pretty much hated it. it was so boring.

i transitioned into karate (kwon ryu fu chi do, to be specific, which is a blend of 5 different styles), and did it for 6 years (got my black belt). MUCH more stuff to learn/master. maybe it was just my instructors in the judo classes i took, but it just seemed so basic and boring.

As a wrestler, we tend to look down upon judo as a lesser form. Judo is just a watered down version of freestyle wrestling in a gi with shitty takedowns. I think I could have made a very easy transition to judo from wrestling but I went to BJJ and striking instead. BJJ was a very easy transition as well as I already had good hips from wrestling.

As a wrestler, we tend to look down upon judo as a lesser form. Judo is just a watered down version of freestyle wrestling in a gi with shitty takedowns. I think I could have made a very easy transition to judo from wrestling but I went to BJJ and striking instead. BJJ was a very easy transition as well as I already had good hips from wrestling.

I'm one of those guys who, years later, kicks himself in the ass for not taking wrestling more seriously in high school.

Ahhh to lament missed opportunity. Stupid football tricking me into switching sports.

And I also agree, Judo is boring for the most part, but some of the throws get to be a lot of fun to practice.

I even trained in Kendo for awhile to round out my exposure to martial arts. Fun stuff, though rough on the feetz and handz.

I'm one of those guys who, years later, kicks himself in the ass for not taking wrestling more seriously in high school.

Ahhh to lament missed opportunity. Stupid football tricking me into switching sports.

And I also agree, Judo is boring for the most part, but some of the throws get to be a lot of fun to practice.

I even trained in Kendo for awhile to round out my exposure to martial arts. Fun stuff, though rough on the feetz and handz.

yeah, the throws were fun, although we had plenty of throws and submissions in kwon ryu fu chi do, so i didn't miss them :D

kendo sounds cool, i always liked training with weapons. here was our belt/weapon progression:

white

yellow

orange

green - tonfa

brown - nunchuku

red - bo staff

blue - (no new weapon, but blue belt had us creating forms and self defense techniques, which was a LOT of fun)

black - sai

2nd degree - katana and dual nunchuku

i think 5th degree was dual katana, but don't remember the rest (it went up to 10th degree)

as far as stuff being rough on the hands and feet; all of our training was barefoot, and we used to go on runs barefoot too (this was in a relatively small town, and there wasn't a lot of broken glass/etc on the roads/sidewalks). we'd train in the park too, which was always fun, since it was more difficult to train on uneven ground. although, i still remember stubbing my toe on the sidewalk during one of our runs, and ripping all the skin off the tip of my big toe :(

i train bjj in real life, and there really isnt that many submissions, there are more transitions and sweeps than anything, and thats what i've found hardest in bjj

This is true. There are only so many ways you can submit someone but there are many more ways to get into the proper position to submit someone.