The New Players Guide to Effective Fighter Building

PSUMike

Here's a fighter i just made, first one i think i didnt totally screw up(hope i didnt). Is this a good way to go? and where should i build him from here, i was thinking of raising boxing to like 30ish then concentrating on wrestling.

Boxing Useless Punches Respectable Agility Proficient

Muay Thai Proficient Kicks Respectable Flexibility Proficient

Wrestling Useless Elbows Useless Speed Woeful

BJJ Proficient Knees Respectable Strength Useless

Clinchwork Respectable Conditioning Abysmal

Striking Defense Respectable Balance Feeble

Ground n Pound Useless

Takedown Off Useless

Takedown Def Useless

Submissions Respectable

Defensive Grap Respectable

It's a start. I would never go into a fight with useless wrestling, though. Even with good secondary skills, you're going to get taken down. What's more, you're not just going to get put on th bottom, low wrestling will get you taken down into side control or even mount. Finally, without a wrestling base your clinchwork is going to be less than stellar. Wrestling works with MT, not just on clinch fighting but in conjunction with your takedown defense while in the clinch.

It's a start. I would never go into a fight with useless wrestling, though. Even with good secondary skills, you're going to get taken down. What's more, you're not just going to get put on th bottom, low wrestling will get you taken down into side control or even mount. Finally, without a wrestling base your clinchwork is going to be less than stellar. Wrestling works with MT, not just on clinch fighting but in conjunction with your takedown defense while in the clinch.

Hm, I did not even think of that, getting taken down into mount/side control. What secondary controls that? TDD or DG? What lvl do you think I should get wrestling to before he fights?

Also, for the ppl that start with 10 cond, 1 strength, what lvl do you get it to before fighting or training other things?

remarkable or wonderful

Is that for the str/con or the wrestling before fighting? I imagine str/con just want to make sure.

Thank you for all the replies. Found this thread to be very helpful

ridiculous takedown defense, wrestling, strength, good boxing and zero subs, def grappling...

I'm thinking about making a fighter with high striking def, high def grappling, good takedown defense, really good conditioning and strong chin/big heart. Just to see if he can outlast people consistently. But who would this guy be? Nate Marquardt prior to his going insane after the Anderson Silva fight is the closest I can come up with. Any takers?

Cabbage =)

Hm, I did not even think of that, getting taken down into mount/side control. What secondary controls that? TDD or DG? What lvl do you think I should get wrestling to before he fights?

Also, for the ppl that start with 10 cond, 1 strength, what lvl do you get it to before fighting or training other things?

If you're worried about getting taken down into bad positions, I'd focus on wrestling and takedown defense. I suspect defensive grappling doesn't kick in until you're on the ground. Wrestling isn't the most important skill when it comes to finishing fights, but I think it is highly undervalued. If you have the better wrestling/takedowns/TD Defense, you decide whether the fight goes to the ground or stays standing.

Making an 18 yr old Bisping really isnt that bad. you can make them feeble across the board and then just train them up really quick across the board. like what im doing here

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=40111

You could do that. But don't complain when he sucks. In order to win (unless you plan to train him for 5 years), you need to build a specialized fighter then work on building his strengths while strengthening the holes in his game.

If you're worried about getting taken down into bad positions, I'd focus on wrestling and takedown defense. I suspect defensive grappling doesn't kick in until you're on the ground. Wrestling isn't the most important skill when it comes to finishing fights, but I think it is highly undervalued. If you have the better wrestling/takedowns/TD Defense, you decide whether the fight goes to the ground or stays standing.

defensive grappling plays a role in TDD from my experiences. IMO, defensive grappling is the most important stat in the game.

Wouldn't it be smart to start all your projects with a Wonderful in one primary attribute especially with the new sparring system. It's easier to go from Useless to Respectable than it is to go from Respectable to Wonderful.

My three projects started with wonderful boxing, wonderful BJJ, and wonderful MT respectively. So yes, I agree. But he isn't creating a project from what I gather. He wants a ready made fighter. For ready made fighters, come to this guide for all you need.

for takedown defense it says in the wiki you need balance, but in fightcommentary you allso hear a lot about agility (trying to look up but cant find it)

you've got "FighterA shoots in for the takedown but FighterB shows good balance on his feet here" but allso a lot "Fighter A shoots in for the takedown but FighterB shows good agility here)

Agility is the ability to turn quickly turn your body and stay in balance and have good feeling where your are, so I assume with the last comment FighterB jumped away from the takedown.

So when building a striker you can put even more on agility and less on balance since that benefits to your standup but also benefits for jumping away at takedowns. It wouldn't help you in the clinch most likely.

PSU mike this is by far the greatest thread i've seen on here so far...speaking as a rather new manager i wish i caught this thread earlier as my first few fighters aren't the greatest and i tried to make an anderson silva in the beginning but its impossible cause he is near perfect in every style but he is 1-1 with a knockout and a decision loss.

I'm gonna sack a fighter as soon as i can and create a Maia type, ricardo almeida (sorry, real guy), since his school is right by my house and i might join up there :) little boxing skill, no muay thai, good wrestling and great BJJ

ricardo almeida (sorry, real guy), since his school is right by my house and i might join up there

If you're at all interested in jiu-jitsu, I encourage you to train with Professor Almeida. He is friends with my instructor and teaches at our dojo a few times every year; I always look forward to his visits. He is an awesome instructor -- and that's not something you can say about every high-level jiu-jitsu practitioner. Not only are his skills amazing, but his ability to impart that knowledge on others is superb. His academy is one of the tops in the country and you are lucky to live close to him. Take advantage of it -- jiu-jitsu is not easy but it can be a great experience and you can't go wrong training under Professor Almeida. I've been tempted to enroll in his school -- and I would if it wasn't a 2 1/2 hour drive each way.

nice...thanks for the advice, no martial art is easy haha u think ur progressing til you go up against a better student and then its back to square one :)....patience is not one of my virtues

....patience is not one of my virtues

I think this is one of the stronger keys to success in this game. I have a guy that I rushed and is off to a pretty bad start. Since then I have settled down a little, stumbled across this thread and made a few other guys that fall into these guidelines that I am much more confident about.

I think this is one of the stronger keys to success in this game. I have a guy that I rushed and is off to a pretty bad start. Since then I have settled down a little, stumbled across this thread and made a few other guys that fall into these guidelines that I am much more confident about.

yea i actually can't wait to create him since i've read this thread and maybe bounce one or two others

PSU mike this is by far the greatest thread i've seen on here so far...speaking as a rather new manager i wish i caught this thread earlier as my first few fighters aren't the greatest and i tried to make an anderson silva in the beginning but its impossible cause he is near perfect in every style but he is 1-1 with a knockout and a decision loss.

I'm gonna sack a fighter as soon as i can and create a Maia type, ricardo almeida (sorry, real guy), since his school is right by my house and i might join up there :) little boxing skill, no muay thai, good wrestling and great BJJ

:thankyou:

It was a lot of work but I enjoyed doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah thats his mark rosholt and matt hughes. Though when having wrestling as your main attribute why would you focus more on submissions instead of GnP? I say go with Gnp. Should work very well since you don't have to put many points on secondary attributes, you can take the fight anywhere you want, against a striker you can clinch and against grapplers you can have top position.

Yeah thats his mark rosholt and matt hughes. Though when having wrestling as your main attribute why would you focus more on submissions instead of GnP? I say go with Gnp. Should work very well since you don't have to put many points on secondary attributes, you can take the fight anywhere you want, against a striker you can clinch and against grapplers you can have top position.

If you read it, I said to build a Hughes, you will need something like respectable wrestling and proficient BJJ or vice versa. I prefer the former with more in subs than GNP because I feel it is easier to finish a fight with a sub than a GNP stoppage. The Rosholt model covers the GNP primary game plan.

If you read it, I said to build a Hughes, you will need something like respectable wrestling and proficient BJJ or vice versa. I prefer the former with more in subs than GNP because I feel it is easier to finish a fight with a sub than a GNP stoppage. The Rosholt model covers the GNP primary game plan.

my fault PSU lol ps."i hate tito and hope forrest kills him"