The New Players Guide to Effective Fighter Building

PSUMike

@VibeBox. A video tutorial. Im guessing that would be to include a description of skills etc? It would work, I think reading on the wiki is just about as effective though but each to their own :)

@Jimsmithers, eah you are right. There is no wrong way to make a fighter but knowing stuff like that means you dont waste wweeks or months getting to a level where they are competative.

The wiki needs stuff like this in the new user guide or how to make a fighter type guide badly imho.

@VibeBox. A video tutorial. Im guessing that would be to include a description of skills etc? It would work, I think reading on the wiki is just about as effective though but each to their own :)

I think it's more a learning style thing. All the info being spread out over the wiki and neading to be looked at individually doesn't suit my learning style. I would have been much better served by a visual tutorial with a person basically lecturing on ALL the basics at one time so I could take it all in at once and connect it in my head. I doubt I am alone in that, so if no one has done it by the time I have my good computer back I will probably do it.

Rank the physical skills from shortest to longest time train

1. Conditioning

2. Strength

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. Speed

This is the kind of thing that should have a wiki page, or at least be a part of one. Once others contribute and fill in the list go put it in there. I would have killed for such a list before I made my first fighters. ; -)

The thing is you could have just put 110 in Speed or something and trained to 110 cardio in like 2 weeks max? getting speed up to 110 would take months and months (unless you meant getting stats up like punches or kicks etc)

I never considered that...hmmmmm...I'll have to try that with my next fighter. Thanks for the tip.

I'm assuming Agility, Balance and Flexibility are tied for difficulty to train since they all pop via Yoga.

Yeah, I wonder if its linear or is there a chance you pop some faster or not... my yoga guy was popping at different speeds but his skills werent all equal.

I did notice I have two guys (with exact same stats) doing sub sparring, learning ability aside, one guy popped bbj multiple times but also submissions and strength so far and the other guy has popped bjj multiple times and submissions, flexibility and strength from the same sessions.

Not sure what it means but they are different weight classes as well. There is no where near enough data there to say much about it, throwing it out there incase anyone else knows more :)

Eh, I kinda did because I am not the best gameplanner.

To be fair, most of the stuff here in this thread should be public knowledge anyway. Its more your perfected slider settings or how exactly you train up your guys.

People knowing that cardio is super easy to train should be fair game because your fighters are really a much poorer quality to start with if they are all feeble everything and then strong conditioning. My first batch before I got VIP are all like that and its a pain.

Same with averaging out your skills over everything being a bad idea. My first fighter did this and somehow he has won 2 fights. I have no idea how because he is easily my worst fighter :) Im keeping him around because I think if I specialize him he could be good.

My favourite bit of this thread is liekning builds to real fighters, it gives people a rough idea what they should be aiming for, and when they get better they can change it up and make their own variations.

Some skill combos are a bit gimped at the start pure and simple and if you make 4 of those on your basic you will not hang around very long unless you are really determined.

Building a Bisping then specializing isn't a terrible idea but it takes a lot longer, especially if you make all your secondary stats like that too. Building a main stat Bisping, and then giving him good punches, TDD, and defensive grappling and turning him into a Liddell would work but like I said, its a lot harder/longer. I've never done this but I see people trying to. I think its easier doing it the ways I suggested in the guide but thats just me.

Building a Bisping then specializing isn't a terrible idea but it takes a lot longer, especially if you make all your secondary stats like that too. Building a main stat Bisping, and then giving him good punches, TDD, and defensive grappling and turning him into a Liddell would work but like I said, its a lot harder/longer. I've never done this but I see people trying to. I think its easier doing it the ways I suggested in the guide but thats just me.

Yeah I agree, if you are going to all the trouble of training a guy for ages before he fights why not pump some stats very high (ie wonderful punches if hes a boxer) then just train some of his 'useless' stats to a decent level. The lower your ability in something the faster you train it, I try to take advantage of that if Im not wanting the guy to fight right away.

Ya thats how I see it. I have a guy I built who is pure stand up. No wrestling or BJJ. When his conditioning and strength get up to par, I am going to work on his wrestling to get it in the respectable range and get him up to a blue belt before I fight him. He'll be training for probably 3 months before he fights...and thats conservative.

I'm a noob and I just made a new "project" fighter with 10 conditioning and 1 strength. I have a couple of questions about training these stats up:

1) How many cardio sessions can I schedule for his first week? At what energy level should I stop training his cardio and let him rest?

2) Will I get his cardio up faster with an energy loss supp (more training sessions per week) or with a stam supp (more pops per training session)?

3) Would I be better off training cardio and strength at the same time by doing 2-person sessions with a Remarkable conditioning coach?

4) How long does it usually take for a fighter doing nothing but cardio to go from abysmal conditioning to strong or better?

edit: I should mention that the gym I have him at has Spotless cleanliness and Brand New equipment.

I'm a noob and I just made a new "project" fighter with 10 conditioning and 1 strength. I have a couple of questions about training these stats up:

1) How many cardio sessions can I schedule for his first week? At what energy level should I stop training his cardio and let him rest?

2) Will I get his cardio up faster with an energy loss supp (more training sessions per week) or with a stam supp (more pops per training session)?

3) Would I be better off training cardio and strength at the same time by doing 2-person sessions with a Remarkable conditioning coach?

4) How long does it usually take for a fighter doing nothing but cardio to go from abysmal conditioning to strong or better?

edit: I should mention that the gym I have him at has Spotless cleanliness and Brand New equipment.

1) Maybe 2 because it will take your energy down big time. 3 at the most but I don't train below 80% and I rest them up to 95%.

2) 1000% yes. MMA's Best or Non-Stop in Vegas or Syndicate in Rio are my favorites.

3) I go cardio until its up in the superb range then work on strength on my own with supps. I don't think conditioning coaches are beneficial to anyone, gym owner or fighters. Waste of money imo.

4) ~3 weeks

2) 1000% yes. MMA's Best or Non-Stop in Vegas or Syndicate in Rio are my favorites.

Thanks a bunch for answering my questions, but by this did you mean I would do best with stamina supps or with energy loss supps?

this is my OK at everything guy, and he does quite well. I'm turning him into a MT guy, as I don't have one, and he is pretty good in all those areas

Neil

he destroyed his last opponent with knees to the face

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-26 Conditioning Superb Remarkable 1

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-25 Conditioning Strong Superb 2

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-24 Conditioning Proficient Strong 1

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-15 Conditioning Respectable Proficient 2

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-08 Conditioning Competent Respectable 1

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-08 Conditioning Mediocre Competent 0

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-07 Conditioning Feeble Mediocre 1

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-05 Conditioning Woeful Feeble 0

Jerry Millen ( 18 ) 2009-09-05 Conditioning Abysmal Woeful 0

this was with missing some sessions with supps

Tristian Riley ( 18 ) 2009-09-23 Muay Thai Woeful Feeble 1

Tristian Riley ( 18 ) 2009-09-21 Conditioning Superb Remarkable 1

Tristian Riley ( 18 ) 2009-09-17 Conditioning Strong Superb 0

Tristian Riley ( 18 ) 2009-09-15 Conditioning Proficient Strong 0

not bad. Dont really see the need for speed if you have a brown belt yet are good in a standup skill. 9 times outta 10 your going to get a sub from your guard not on top

Is there a difference for a Mediocore wrestler sparring with 1 Brown Belt or a Mediocore wrestler sparring with 2 Brown Belts?

If it's 1 on 1 training, no one else involved, I think the only diff an additional Brown Belt would make is to increase the first Brown Belt's chances of Learning something from the session.

Not exactly sure what you are getting at...

If you mean is there a difference between a mediocre BJJ player doing sub sparring with a brown as opposed to 2 browns, the answer is yes and no. The equivalent of the level of your sparring is determined by the average of your opponents level. So if you have one remarkable brown belt and one exceptional brown belt, you will get less than sparring with one exceptional brown belt.