2016-17 NFL Discussion

Every time somebody picks the Falcons I laugh. Maybe I missed something in the off-season. Maybe I missed a coaching change. Who knows. Guess we'll see this year and week 1. I think we have ATL's number.

As for Wentz being a bust...

injuries. I don't think the guy's body is gonna last long. I could be wrong. I definitely would of taken him over Goff personally, thought for sure Rams would take him. But I just don't think his body is gonna hold up. Got broken ribs in his very first taste of NFL action vs Bucs. So once again, we'll see.

We'll see, with the current regime of both teams you definitely do. It really all comes down to if Matt Ryan has gotten more used to this system and has gotten his balls back. Defense should be at least a little improved but it's a NFC South game and a rivalry game to boot, it's gonna be a close game so it will come down to who is more clutch.

We'll see, with the current regime of both teams you definitely do. It really all comes down to if Matt Ryan has gotten more used to this system and has gotten his balls back. Defense should be at least a little improved but it's a NFC South game and a rivalry game to boot, it's gonna be a close game so it will come down to who is more clutch.

Did the o-line get any better? I remember in our game against you guys last year you torched us in the first half but everything was play action or him bootlegging out of the pocket because it didn't seem like you guys had much faith you could protect him. Then in the 2nd half we came out expecting all the play-action and bootlegs and you guys didn't do much in the 2nd half once we adjusted.

That was kinda the reason I picked Atlanta to finish 2nd though, i figured another year w/ their defensive coach they should take another step on the defensive side of the ball, so if they can protect Matt Ryan at all I figured they'd be a decent team.

Did the o-line get any better? I remember in our game against you guys last year you torched us in the first half but everything was play action or him bootlegging out of the pocket because it didn't seem like you guys had much faith you could protect him. Then in the 2nd half we came out expecting all the play-action and bootlegs and you guys didn't do much in the 2nd half once we adjusted.

That was kinda the reason I picked Atlanta to finish 2nd though, i figured another year w/ their defensive coach they should take another step on the defensive side of the ball, so if they can protect Matt Ryan at all I figured they'd be a decent team.

No, not really... It's gonna be the same old shit we have been doing for years now with play action and bootlegs to keep pressure off Matt. Like you said tho, defenses adjust every time and after that we have no answer for their adjustments. I can't remember the last time our offense has played a complete game without getting shut down at one point but I could be remembering that wrong. Our offensive line has been an issue for years now but it's always something that has a band aid put on it and put off for the next year. Hopefully Matthews develops more this year along with the rest of the crew. Tired of seeing bootlegs all the time and Matt Ryan with happy feet and shellshocked more and more often. We have a stud in Julio Jones but we can rarely throw down the field because Matt just doesn't have the time.

As I said in a previous post, I'm wagering Tampa gets at least 5 sacks. Wouldn't be surprised if we get 7+ and I think that alone is a recipe for us to dictate the game. I think we're gonna win convincingly, I'll just go ahead and guess the 34-17 area. Julio will inevitably get a 1 on 1 coverage with somebody and Matt Ryan will finally have enough time in the pocket to at least find him deep once for a long TD.

As I said in a previous post, I'm wagering Tampa gets at least 5 sacks. Wouldn't be surprised if we get 7+ and I think that alone is a recipe for us to dictate the game. I think we're gonna win convincingly, I'll just go ahead and guess the 34-17 area. Julio will inevitably get a 1 on 1 coverage with somebody and Matt Ryan will finally have enough time in the pocket to at least find him deep once for a long TD.

I think that's a bit overboard, the reason people used to think our offensive line was average was because Ryan usually really quick to get rid of the ball and go through his read. He ended up checking down way too much because of it but I doubt our offensive line folds that badly in game 1 of the season and I reeeeally doubt Ryan let's that happen 5 timees, he would probably through 2-3 picks before before he gets sacked more than 5 times. He will see the pressure and make a throw pick or not.

If Devonta Freeman gets some holes you can kiss 5 sacks goodbye for sure as well along with any chance of a win.

Oh what a glorious day:

7pm: GameDay First

9pm: GameDay with Rich Eisen etc.

1am: NFL RedZone

4:25am: Lions vs. Colts

8:30am: And if I'm still awake...primetime game.

That's dedication. 4:25am?!?!

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

Philadelphia Eagles

NFC NORTH

Greenbay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

NFC SOUTH

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Bucs - wild card

Atlanta Falcons

New Orleans Saints

NFC WEST

Arizona Cardinals

Seattle Seahawks - wild card

LA Rams

San Francisco

AFC EAST

New England Pats

New York Jets - wild card

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

AFC NORTH

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cincinatti Bengals - wild card

Baltimore Ravens

Cleveland Browns

AFC SOUTH

Jacksonville Jags

Houston Texans

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos

Oakland Raiders

KC Chiefs

San Diego Chargers

Idk what happened with my post to this. Anyway, I was gonna say the Eagles did a lot better than I expected, but than again it was against the Browns. Idk why I thought the Browns might actually do something or give the Eagles fits with their 3-4, but Cleveland pulled a Cleveland.

Saying "But it's only Cleveland" when there isn't any Asterisks in the NFL, it's not MLB. I'm still pissed that you can get a sack but you and your team mates can't celebrate or it's an Unsportsmanlike Conduct Chroegraphed Celebration Between Two Or More Team Mates penalty.

The defense gave me what I expected

I was pleased with how Wentz performed
I wasn't pleased with 5 fucking drops again our WR are shit
But like u said it's Cleveland. I'm reserving judgement on Wentz until I see a larger body of work.
22 of 37 for 278 yds, 2 TD & O INT I'll takeas a first impression though especially with 5 drops

The defense gave me what I expected

I was pleased with how Wentz performed
I wasn't pleased with 5 fucking drops again our WR are shit
But like u said it's Cleveland. I'm reserving judgement on Wentz until I see a larger body of work.
22 of 37 for 278 yds, 2 TD & O INT I'll takeas a first impression though especially with 5 drops

Wentz looked solid. I've never questioned his talent or passing ability, so much as his ability to remain on the field.

Random - Dak Prescott has a cannon.

Anyway, Go Bucs. Always happy with a TB win, but it should of been a much more one-sided ass kicking.

Of course you would feel it should of been a more one sided ass kicking that's just part of being a fan. I could say we should of won considering all the miscues I saw on offense like Ryan overthrowing/underthrowing open guys and the critical drops.

The reason I said what I said is because Quinn was brought here for the defense which gave up 31 points in 3 quarters in a home opener(tho the crowd was quiet as fuck as always). With 0 turnovers, 31 points in just the third quarter at home is just unacceptable to me.

Don't even get me start on the conservative playcalling. 3rd and long and you basically fold your hand is a disgrace.

And yes I haven't forgotten about the bet.

Of course you would feel it should of been a more one sided ass kicking that's just part of being a fan. I could say we should of won considering all the miscues I saw on offense like Ryan overthrowing/underthrowing open guys and the critical drops.

The reason I said what I said is because Quinn was brought here for the defense which gave up 31 points in 3 quarters in a home opener(tho the crowd was quiet as fuck as always). With 0 turnovers, 31 points in just the third quarter at home is just unacceptable to me.

Don't even get me start on the conservative playcalling. 3rd and long and you basically fold your hand is a disgrace.

And yes I haven't forgotten about the bet.

As a lifelong football player and football fan, I like to think I have a pretty good football acumen. I might be a little bias towards Tampa at times, to some extent, and big time anti-Eagle, but I think I'm pretty fair.

Ryan you'll realize that Tampa is the much better team, top to bottom. The only positions where you have a clear advantage might be in your safeties and offensive line. We're better, or just as good, at every position. And to top it off we have a much better coaching staff.

We swept yall last year, 2-0, with Lovie Smith AND Leslie Frazier for cryin out loud. In our last 3 meetings, we're 3-0 in the last 3 meetings vs the Falcons. The last time ATL was the better team was 2014 when we went 2-14 or whatever it was lol.

No post from you this week CK? I figured you'd have a few comments after that hot garbage performance in week 2. Really, I only saw highlights so I would like to know what happened in the game and how you guys flipped the switch so savagely to awful in one week.

One of these times where it's best to hear what went wrong from a fan.

As for the Falcons, our offense is looking awesome but god damn our defense is so terrible and Quinn's play calling in that regard has been dreadful. We literally bend over and take it in the ass while committing penalties left and right and missing tackles. However I hate the prevent defense so much and how we let the running back catch and go three straight times for 3 big plays in the same spot on the field is complete failure at a playcalling level. You HAVE to account for that zone after that first big catch and run, especially when our tackling has been so poor. Prevent defense is one of those played out defense that I have no idea why coaches still use. If the opposing playcaller has any football IQ whatsoever it's incredibly easy to drive down the field with ease in little time and time is the whole point of prevent defense. Really disappointed in what was supposed to be our biggest improvement with the regime change. Good news is it looks like Ryan is finally settling into Shanahan's system and getting his timing down.

• Upvote 1

So just early impressions on the Birds.....before the season started I thought we'd be about a 7 win team, then we traded Bradford and I thought we'd go from 7 wins to maybe 5 just because typically rookie QB's throw the ball to the other team 20 times. Which I figured would cost us about 2 games (since Bradford throws his fair share of picks anyway). Now I'm going to say we're probably still about a 7 or 8 win team after watching the first two weeks. Granted we beat two pretty bad teams so I'm not really putting a ton of stock into what I'm seeing so far. But my impressions on our defense, and where our strengths and weaknesses are, seems to be an accurate assessment to this point anyway. But I've been pretty impressed with the offense and Doug Pederson's play-calling. We've really dominated time of possession the first two games which is a trend I hope continues. Obviously once we start playing better defenses I expect our offense to struggle more, and I still at this point would say we're a below average offense due to drops and no elite skill position players. But thus far we've avoided killing ourselves w/ mistakes and turnovers (though we tried w/ penalties a bit this last game). 0 turnovers through 2 games.

Even w/ only predicting 5 or 6 wins I still had us 2-0 through week 2, then losing to Pittsburgh and then beating Detroit to move to 3-1. But from there I thought we'd go maybe 2-4 against the division and then only take 1 game against the following opponents.

Minnesota

Atlanta

Seattle

Green Bay

Cincinnati

Baltimore

Now I feel we may be able to go .500 against the division and go 3-3. We may still only take one game against those other teams too who knows (especially once Lane Johnson's suspension holds up and it changes 2 positions on our O-line) but some of those teams look more beatable to me now that I've seen what we look like and what the rest of the league looks like. I'd still favor us to lose to GB, MIN and CIN but I would say that Minnesota game could potentially be winnable. Their defense is elite and will certainly shut down our offense for the most part but I think that their offense is average and our defense will likely give them fits as well. I think that game will be low scoring either way. But I'm thinking at (H) we at least have a chance. I'd say the same thing about Seattle. Their defense is certainly good enough to shut down our average offense. But their O-line looks like shit and so does their offense & the D-line is probably the strength of our team so again I see another 16-13 type game that could go either way but I'd probably favor Seattle at home. Baltimore I can't really gauge just yet I'll reserve judgement on them because they've beaten two bad teams also and fell down big to Cleveland but from what I've seen thus far I'd actually pick us in that game probably. Atlanta is another team I can't really get a gauge on, I could see their skill position players being a bad match-up for our DB's (who are suspect) but I know they have O-line problems and our D-line is pretty good. So that game I see being a 50/50 game.

Our D-line had 3 sacks in each of the first two games & I know against Cleveland we only blitzed 2 times in 52 defensive snaps. We pretty much just put a spy on RG3 and dared him to beat us throwing and sacked him 3 times w/ a 4 man rush. I'd be interested to see how much more we blitzed against the Bears. I know our first sack was on a safety blitz from Jenkins so I'm certain it was considerably more.

I'm gonna say we beat Detroit, go 3-3 against the division, lose to GB & CIN. Then go 2-2 against MIN, BAL, ATL & SEA to finish 8-8 this year. Barring any significant injuries

My quick Week 3 takeaways:

The Eagles are for real.

The Texans are not.

Jaguars are still very much a team with potential.

Browns are the laughing stock of the league still.

Odell Beckham is a man child.

The Bears are awful.

My Lions are better than the 1-2 record suggests but are third best in a tough NFC North.

Fitzpatrick is still better than Geno Smith.