Should we have Weight Class Fighter of the Year Awards?

saklain

On 10/31/2022 at 7:06 PM, Rambo said:

what happened with these awards from 2009 to 2022 is exactly what happened with LGB to the LGBTQEMF committee

fighter of the year (i'm okay with weight class trophies, and i'm okay without them)

manager of the year

org of the year

alliance of the year

company of the year

fight of the year

writer of the year

7 for jesus brother.

I rarely agree with CK but this list makes more sense. A lot of other categories you can fit into the criteria for one of them. 

I'd add in designer of the year to cover posters, avatars etc. Yes they gain in-game money for free VIP but they also deserve the tip of the cap for adding creativity to the game. 

I'd keep the weight class trophies for the simple fact that midgets never get the love they deserve. Typically the fighter of the year trophy always goes to the most hyped fighter and that hype is always held in either the 265 or 205 divisions - I mean during the nominations previously no one mentioned Chamuaknoi, De Minaur or Detkhunjon despite all of them only carrying one or two losses the full year so far. 

9 minutes ago, ArtieBanks said:

I rarely agree with CK but this list makes more sense. A lot of other categories you can fit into the criteria for one of them. 

I'd add in designer of the year to cover posters, avatars etc. Yes they gain in-game money for free VIP but they also deserve the tip of the cap for adding creativity to the game. 

I'd keep the weight class trophies for the simple fact that midgets never get the love they deserve. Typically the fighter of the year trophy always goes to the most hyped fighter and that hype is always held in either the 265 or 205 divisions - I mean during the nominations previously no one mentioned Chamuaknoi, De Minaur or Detkhunjon despite all of them only carrying one or two losses the full year so far. 

Thats odd though, why would we keep weightclass awards yet cut KT fighter of the year and Grappler of the year?

Agree on the designer of the year take.

Also those 2 having no mentions is pretty explanatory. Rod De Minaur cherry picked a large majority of the year (He hand picked all his syn fights then left when I wanted to put him again real comp). He only got some elite wins over the last 2 fights.

Sitsongrit is amazing but the reality of 135 and 145 alike is they are weaker divisions with less fighters and less competition. Sitsongrits elite comp this year were Wayne Williams (he came out of retirement so safe to say he was on the decline) he went 2-1-1 against him.

Then Killer Kidd who he beat and Corassa who he lost to.

I just don't think he's in fighter of the year discussions. But he is definitely the best 135 fighter this year.

I just don't think it makes sense to remove awards for people who now won't have a single one but then give an award for every single weight class.

Also by think logic wouldn't it be a bad idea so not have restricted org of the year? Removing both that and CEO/promoter of the year will ensure that the award will only ever go to the best Open ID org with the highest level comp. When just like with the lighter guys those ID orgs could very well be run better than the open ID orgs.

There's no purpose for CEO/promoter of the year and tournament of the year so I get people saying 1 or the other. I also get some people saying none I just think that has a bit of a blind spot.

Character and rivalry are just for fun awards so cutting them is no big deal

But this leave 3 odd ones out. Why eliminate KO, Sub and Upset of the year from a fighting game? I flipped back and forth on it but ive landed now firmly on removing then doesn't make much sense and seems like we starting to remove stuff just to remove it.

I think if you cut the character and rivalry we have a solid 18 awards that have good reason for all existing. If you throw event of the year in there as well that drops it to a good 17. 

Your proposal of the weightclass awards plus Avatar and poster would make 17 as well.

I'm good with KT fighter of the year and Grappler of the year being included - those ones were an oversight really on my behalf. 

As far as the fighters go - if you are fighting in a top org for the majority of the year then realistically you should only be fighting elite talent. I only paid a bit of attention earlier on and just checked records there. 

As far as the org awards go, you just create new criteria. So org of the year takes into account write ups, org owner interactions as well as comp. You just merge Org, CEO and Event of the year into one nice package. It gives a better overall idea of what is the best org as a whole. On that subject, I'm not against a restricted org of the year because I agree the time you need to put into them is often more than a larger org due to having to deal with skill discrepancies. They deserve a bit of love for the work they do. 

Rivalry has literally been CK trying to get someone to play along with him for years - even before I left the game originally. He used to get a few bites such as Barnabas but as a whole the category ain't much anymore. 

KO, Sub, Upset and Fight are all well and good but over the course of a year you would really need a tracker of great fights and people to put them in rather than hunting for them or ones being forgotten about at the end of the year. I am not against it by any means because after all this game is a text based game but it is like most awards - people remember the end rather than the other three quarters of the year. 

It is really just about reducing them further because before I left it was literally a clusterfuck of awards with everyone getting a shinny trophy by the end of it. It has been trimmed down a bit but I think a lil further trimming actually makes the awards mean something other than really a few of them being regarded as the big ones. 

Either way i'm good with whatever the majority goes for and ain't gonna go up on a podium shouting about it because at the end of the day the awards just add more flavour to a game which at times often lacks a lot of it. 

26 minutes ago, ArtieBanks said:

I'm good with KT fighter of the year and Grappler of the year being included - those ones were an oversight really on my behalf. 

As far as the fighters go - if you are fighting in a top org for the majority of the year then realistically you should only be fighting elite talent. I only paid a bit of attention earlier on and just checked records there. 

As far as the org awards go, you just create new criteria. So org of the year takes into account write ups, org owner interactions as well as comp. You just merge Org, CEO and Event of the year into one nice package. It gives a better overall idea of what is the best org as a whole. On that subject, I'm not against a restricted org of the year because I agree the time you need to put into them is often more than a larger org due to having to deal with skill discrepancies. They deserve a bit of love for the work they do. 

Rivalry has literally been CK trying to get someone to play along with him for years - even before I left the game originally. He used to get a few bites such as Barnabas but as a whole the category ain't much anymore. 

KO, Sub, Upset and Fight are all well and good but over the course of a year you would really need a tracker of great fights and people to put them in rather than hunting for them or ones being forgotten about at the end of the year. I am not against it by any means because after all this game is a text based game but it is like most awards - people remember the end rather than the other three quarters of the year. 

It is really just about reducing them further because before I left it was literally a clusterfuck of awards with everyone getting a shinny trophy by the end of it. It has been trimmed down a bit but I think a lil further trimming actually makes the awards mean something other than really a few of them being regarded as the big ones. 

Either way i'm good with whatever the majority goes for and ain't gonna go up on a podium shouting about it because at the end of the day the awards just add more flavour to a game which at times often lacks a lot of it. 

I agree with everything you said here.

I think next year we should put up a KO, fight, sub and upset of the year nomination thread to start the year and as the year goes by people can nominate the ones they think are elite. Then by years end none will have been forgotten.

But yeah I agree with everything else.

Cutting out CEO/Promoter along with Rivalry and Character of the year we are left with a tight 16 awards.

I think 16 is a good number and we in turn cover all aspects of the game.

43 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

I agree with everything you said here.

I think next year we should put up a KO, fight, sub and upset of the year nomination thread to start the year and as the year goes by people can nominate the ones they think are elite. Then by years end none will have been forgotten.

But yeah I agree with everything else.

Cutting out CEO/Promoter along with Rivalry and Character of the year we are left with a tight 16 awards.

I think 16 is a good number and we in turn cover all aspects of the game.

As I am a bit short on time (and patience as well I guess) so can you list the 16 awards that you ( and some others) seem fit after the above discussions for 2022 and the years to come? Would make it easy for me and some others to take a quick look as well. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, bjornmma1 said:

As I am a bit short on time (and patience as well I guess) so can you list the 16 awards that you ( and some others) seem fit after the above discussions for 2022 and the years to come? Would make it easy for me and some others to take a quick look as well. 

Fighter of the Year - best Overall fighter of the year

Restricted Fighter of the Year - Best ID of age restricted fighter of the year

Manager of the year - best manager of the year

Alliance of the year - The best alliance of the year

Org of the year - best overall org of the year

Restricted org of the year - Best ID or age restricted org

KT Fighter of the Year - Best KT fighter of the year

Grappler of the year - Best Grappler of the year

Writer of the year - Best Writer of the year

Company of the year - Best clothing or nutrition company of the year

Designer of the year - Best Designer of Avatars, Posters and clothing of the year

Fight of the Year - Best fight of the year

KO of the year - Best KO of the year

Sub of the year - Best submission of the year

Upset of the year - Biggest upset of the year

• Upvote 1

List seems pretty damn good to me, altough I would change on more thing:

Merge 'Avatar of the year' & 'Event poster of the year' to one award => 'Designer of the year'.
I don't see the need to split those up, or than we would just as well have to do nutrition company of the year and clothing company of the year seperate, what is just what we are trying to avoid in my opinion. Short and simple.

31 minutes ago, bjornmma1 said:

List seems pretty damn good to me, altough I would change on more thing:

Merge 'Avatar of the year' & 'Event poster of the year' to one award => 'Designer of the year'.
I don't see the need to split those up, or than we would just as well have to do nutrition company of the year and clothing company of the year seperate, what is just what we are trying to avoid in my opinion. Short and simple.

I can agree with this

50 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

Fighter of the Year - best Overall fighter of the year

Restricted Fighter of the Year - Best ID of age restricted fighter of the year  (I don't see the need for anything restricted ID related)

Manager of the year - best manager of the year

Alliance of the year - The best alliance of the year

Org of the year - best overall org of the year

Restricted org of the year - Best ID or age restricted org  (see above)

KT Fighter of the Year - Best KT fighter of the year

Grappler of the year - Best Grappler of the year

Writer of the year - Best Writer of the year

Company of the year - Best clothing or nutrition company of the year

Avatar of the year - Best Avatar of the year

Event Poster of the year - Best event poster of the year

Fight of the Year - Best fight of the year

KO of the year - Best KO of the year

Sub of the year - Best submission of the year

Upset of the year - Biggest upset of the year

It's a better list, but I'd still vote to eliminate anything restricted ID related. If the restricted ID orgs want to give awards, that's one thing, but the overall Tycoon world shouldn't. It's like giving Academy Awards to high school theater clubs.

34 minutes ago, soyster89 said:

It's a better list, but I'd still vote to eliminate anything restricted ID related. If the restricted ID orgs want to give awards, that's one thing, but the overall Tycoon world shouldn't. It's like giving Academy Awards to high school theater clubs.

Its more so the equivalent to rookie of the year or being college national champs.

Overall ID orgs are a completely different field than Open ID and a lot of times the orgs can take more work, and much larger more active. I definitely think ID org of the year shouldn't be a problem.

IRL there is prospect of the year and rookie of the year not sure why ID fighter of the year is a problem either. They should not be considered for fighter of the year but same time they do deserve recognition considering half of the game is ID restricted fighters.

1 hour ago, soyster89 said:

It is more rewarding the time and effort that they put into the game. You know how you get the lead actor academy award? Imagine this more like the supporting actor academy award. We know that there is a difference between the top orgs and ID orgs but they do deserve some love. 

56 minutes ago, ArtieBanks said:

It is more rewarding the time and effort that they put into the game. You know how you get the lead actor academy award? Imagine this more like the supporting actor academy award. We know that there is a difference between the top orgs and ID orgs but they do deserve some love. 

Agreed! 

ID restricted fighters are in the rankings just like every other fighter. It's not like we have an amateur level or anything. If we want to do a rookie of the year type award, then let's do that. But don't limit it to only ID restricted orgs.

This is purely my opinion. I'll still vote and play the game if you give every restricted org and fighter an award of some type. :D 

I think it is more we created an amateur level of the game with ID orgs without it being official. I mean even back ten years ago now we had that sort of rookie of the year award with the U25 category (I think you actually won that one if I am not mistaken). That has kind of been replaced with giving the orgs some love other than fighters. I'd agree though that the U25 fighter of the year was kinda like the rookie of the year award and it was kinda cool at the time to see all the prospects throwing their hat into the ring and seeing where they ended up in a years time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArtieBanks said:

I think it is more we created an amateur level of the game with ID orgs without it being official. I mean even back ten years ago now we had that sort of rookie of the year award with the U25 category (I think you actually won that one if I am not mistaken). That has kind of been replaced with giving the orgs some love other than fighters. I'd agree though that the U25 fighter of the year was kinda like the rookie of the year award and it was kinda cool at the time to see all the prospects throwing their hat into the ring and seeing where they ended up in a years time. 

Yeah I have Restricted fighter of the year in there as well so same concept.

Tourney Organizers doesn't need to Coupled with CEOs, is my major takeaway from page one. 

Most tourney organizers either do with a throwaway org or host it at someone else. 

CEO would be Orgs/Supps/Clothing owners, and how much they did to get to the top. 

That being stated, the person who puts in the actual time to organize and make tourneys happen to drum up more interest and fighter creation should be rewarded for their efforts. Doing writeups, making challonge brackets, etc. 

34 minutes ago, Sprooch said:

Tourney Organizers doesn't need to Coupled with CEOs, is my major takeaway from page one. 

Most tourney organizers either do with a throwaway org or host it at someone else. 

CEO would be Orgs/Supps/Clothing owners, and how much they did to get to the top. 

That being stated, the person who puts in the actual time to organize and make tourneys happen to drum up more interest and fighter creation should be rewarded for their efforts. Doing writeups, making challonge brackets, etc. 

Thats never been what's CEO of the year is

CEO has always strictly been for org owners. Its just to separate the org from the owners.

Thats why it would be with CEO of the year. It falls right with what CEO of the year is for. Awarding owner specifically, not the org its self. 

This award would be perfect for a guy like Alfred that owned RISE and WVT or Louie last year who had IXF and LOL tournament. What do they do for the year as a owner?

This is why I say Promoter/CEO of the year cause the word Promoter makes much more sense for it.

I propose a Promoter of the year award thats just about individual org owner performance (tournaments, orgs, Island orgs)

41 minutes ago, Sprooch said:

This is also a perfect example of why we need descriptions with each award.

5 hours ago, ArtieBanks said:

Yeah, that's a fair point.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

If we're not getting rid of all the participation trophies, we might as well stick to the mmatycoon tradition of having weight class awards. Makes no sense if that's the only thing that's removed seeing how we've been passing out W/C OTY awards for 12-13+ years...

yet we keep things like CEO of the Year, designer of the year, tournament of the year, etc... at least w/c awards are less subjective and based more on merit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

If we're not getting rid of all the participation trophies, we might as well stick to the mmatycoon tradition of having weight class awards. Makes no sense if that's the only thing that's removed seeing how we've been passing out W/C OTY awards for 12-13+ years...

yet we keep things like CEO of the Year, designer of the year, tournament of the year, etc... at least w/c awards are less subjective and based more on merit.

We literally aren't keeping most the things you mentioned. And designer of the year isn't a participation award. We also haven't been handing out weight class awards for 12-13 years. That shit started like 2014.

There are 15 awards, all listed above. CEO and tournament not even mentioned.

We're not adding back 8 awards for the sake of handing out trophies.

Every category is sufficiently covered as is rn

11 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

We literally aren't keeping most the things you mentioned. And designer of the year isn't a participation award. We also haven't been handing out weight class awards for 12-13 years. That shit started like 2014.

Designer of the Year is a participation award. It's 100% subjective.

We definitely had W/C of the Year awards in 2013. LT won numerous.

Since we already have a boatload of trophies, I say we keep weight class awards.

Doesn't make sense to get rid of them when they're some of the most voted on awards we have and a nearly 10 year tradition.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, Rambo said:

what happened with these awards from 2009 to 2022 is exactly what happened with LGB to the LGBTQEMF committee

fighter of the year (i'm okay with weight class trophies, and i'm okay without them)

manager of the year

org of the year

alliance of the year

company of the year

fight of the year

writer of the year

7 for jesus brother.

I stand by this. But if we're making the list longer than 7 than I heavily advocate for w/c awards to be included. make mikey earn his money by passing out more trophies.