Noob Questions

MMATycoon

"Going with an offensive ground game", do u mean going for subs and GnP even if u don't have any?

By "going offensive" I meant, I'd rather have points in either GnP or Submissions than having points in Takedown Defense and Escapes for example.

I like to try different builds, especially on the ground. I have a few fighters that have good striking and good ground offense. That way I don't necessarily have to fight for a quick KO win, if I have to face a grappler, I can win the standup, and in the event that he gets an early takedown (which is usually the case even with good takedown defense), I can actually compete on the ground instead of just hoping to get lucky with a referee standup.

You can even go with zero GnP/Subs and just train dgrap/transitions and win the ground battle by transitioning to a good position and do nothing. The down side of this would be that you'll end up with more decisions, and going against a superior BJJ fighter would increase your chances of getting caught in a submission if you can't get the position advantage.

At the end of the day, it's a game, experience with stuff and have fun. If you play around with different things, especially on the ground, you'll learn how to master it, and the ground is a lethal weapon when you understand it. Be aggressive one fight, look at your success rate. If it's too low, tune down for the next fight until you reach a good success rate with your stuff.

• Upvote 1

True noob here, be gentle please.

I just trained a guy with useless (1) escapes for 3 straight escapes sessions with an elite (15) BJJ coach and he still hasn't popped to a 2 in escapes. All of the sessions had 2 or 3 people in them so not 1 on 1. I thought I read that an average learner would pop to abysmal (2) within 2 sessions at most.

Is my guy a slow learner?

Escapes are training slower compared to other skills. Cant say much about his learning speed since escapes training formula is wrong. But have in mind that 3on1 adds a great penalty on training gains.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea escapes trained slower than any of the other secondaries. So if I get two 1on1 sessions with an elite coach training something like kicks for example, I should see a pop from useless to abysmal in 2 sessions?

I just re-read your 18yo fighter creation, training and sparring guide; great stuff!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info, I had no idea escapes trained slower than any of the other secondaries. So if I get two 1on1 sessions with an elite coach training something like kicks for example, I should see a pop from useless to abysmal in 2 sessions?

I just re-read your 18yo fighter creation, training and sparring guide; great stuff!

if they pop with 2 classes they're super fast learners. 3 classes covers the average-to-good learner spectrum. it won't tell you exacty where he fits in that spectrum but at least he's not really slow. that's all thinking of 1-on-1 classes though. if there's 2 or 3 people training then I would add one more class to measure it from 1-- to the first pop - but I'm guessing here.

• 3 weeks later...

How can I deal with submission spam when both fighters are relatively equal on the ground? Should I aggressively look to advance position or look to counter more? Or something else entirely? It sucks to be stuck in guard defending like 15 submissions before one finally works.

Look for more counters. But if you can't handle 15 sub attempts vs a spammer, maybe the fighters aren't as equal on the ground after all.

Also, if you haven't already, you should really crack up the finish/control slider heavily towards finish. Control is death on the ground.

Look for more counters. But if you can't handle 15 sub attempts vs a spammer, maybe the fighters aren't as equal on the ground after all.

Also, if you haven't already, you should really crack up the finish/control slider heavily towards finish. Control is death on the ground.

Does control just limit the number of actions you have without really giving any benefit then? Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely change that slider.

Does control just limit the number of actions you have without really giving any benefit then? Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely change that slider.

I think what you're saying is generally correct but in my mind this slider is a bit of a mystery. There is the equivalent to aggressor / counter & strike/sub / advance position in both standup and in the clinch but what does finish / control actually do on the ground? Another thing to consider is that IQ plays a huge role in being able to score a submission and perhaps in defending against one?

• Upvote 1

Thanks TJ! This is what I take from it:

"You can clearly see that "Finish" is the parent node of "Strike/Sub Vs Advance", while "Control" is a leaf node. It has a role similar to "Stall" in the clinch hierarchy."

Do most managers accept this explanation?

Thanks TJ! This is what I take from it:

"You can clearly see that "Finish" is the parent node of "Strike/Sub Vs Advance", while "Control" is a leaf node. It has a role similar to "Stall" in the clinch hierarchy."

Do most managers accept this explanation?

So wait

https://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=938884

I set it as 90% counter

would it be something like this ?

each round he was just taking his time finding the right moment not until 04:58 last seconds of round 3 got the choke and finished it..

gqcQIkx.png

What is your 'stick position' in that fight?

Edit: I'm guessing its back. Since you have adv position set to 100% (thats what it looks like) your fighter didn't attempt a submission until he found his stick position which I believe then overrides that strike/sub slider...I think. I'm not the best at the ground game

Edit 2: With the counter set at 90% your chance of an aggro move would be 1/10 (10%) but that doesn't mean you will only attempt that once every ten rolls just that you have a 1 in 10 chance of rolling aggro. It could in fact still roll aggro 3 times in a row. Again...I think :lol:

• Upvote 3