Ngannou vs Fury

Mentor

Before this fight happened, most people had Fury way ahead, they expected him to go in, play around for a few rounds and then push the pace around the 6-7th round and get the finish. The only people who had Ngannou with any chance are MMA fighters and people training him such as Mike Tyson. If you watched the fight you will already know that this is not what happened. Ngannou basically did the exact opposite of what people expected him to do, most people expected him to rush in, try to get the early finish and that he would probably not land anything and will likely tire about the mid way point. Not only did he not rush the gameplan and was patient, he landed lots of shots, had Fury knocked down in the 3rd and clearly won at least a few of those rounds. When it went the distance though, i was certain they would give it to Fury because frankly speaking "this is boxing", they would never give a decision win to a "MMA Fighter", that would be a disgrace to boxing.

When it ended, i was not 100% if Ngannou had done better though, i had him 8-10 in the 3rd, he clearly won the 7th and maybe the 8th, Fury won the 1st, 9th, but the rest were toss up rounds. What is so shocking to me though is how these judges actually rate rounds, this is how they had the rounds: 

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1718436752321577376/photo/1

Besides the 3rd and 5th, 6th, 9th rounds, they could not agree on any of the rest. Is it really that difficult to rate a round? In MMA we generally have most rounds rated correctly, sure there have been some fiasco's, but damn, we rarely see 6 rounds out of 10 being inaccurate or undecisive. In boxing though, we get this shit all the time. It is rediculous to be honest. Either way, how did you score the fight? Was this a robbery or what?

On 10/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, Jersey said:

I did not watch live, I totally forgot that it was Abu Dhabi hours and was thinking it was a late night main event.  I can't say how impressive Ngannou's performance was, though.  I openly admit I did NOT expect that.

I do not think anyone was expecting that. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2023 at 11:03 PM, Curix said:

I watched that fight live.

Fight was good, fight was close, but for me Tyson won 6 rounds, Ngannou won 4, but that was an amazing debut for fighter from Cameroon, he has got huge potential in his future boxing matches,

I am not sure he has huge potential, i mean the guy is 37y old and this is his first fight. I think he will make some nice money though, maybe land 1-2 big fights. 

Watched the fight & I was impressed by how smart Francis fought, Fury was struggling to deal with Ngannou a lot of the time because he was being forced to play the attacking role & getting countered a lot, the state of Fury's face at the end of the fight spoke volumes about just how smart a fight Ngannou fought, great gameplan & his corner deserve a lot of credit. But Fury's strikes seemed to lack power, Francis avoided a lot of them but also when they did land they seemed to lack any real impact, either Fury was pulling back a lot on his shots or Francis was just absorbing a lot of them like they were nothing.

Fury is almost always the bigger stronger man in his fights & relies upon a lot of leaning on his opponents to wear them down, but Ngannou was throwing him off like he was nothing with his massive strength & you could see that frustratung Fury a lot, Ngannous gas tank held up pretty well over 10 rounds due to him not letting Fury big brother him. Francis hung back, let Tyson come to him most of the time and when Ngannou did go forward he was fast in & back out after delivering some powerful punches, went to the body of Fury a fair bit too.

I genuinely didn't give Francis more than a 3/10 chance & he blew that out of the water, I actually think it was either a draw or a win for Ngannou which is still hard to wrap my head around.

He is 37 though, so I don't think he has a long career left in boxing or even MMA now, but he could probably make some stupid money with a couple of other big names, AJ or Wilder spring to mind as possibilites & Usyk is highly unlikely unless Fury spanks him.

6 hours ago, Skuzbukit said:

He is 37 though, so I don't think he has a long career left in boxing or even MMA now, but he could probably make some stupid money with a couple of other big names, AJ or Wilder spring to mind as possibilites & Usyk is highly unlikely unless Fury spanks him.

There are rumors about AJ or WIlder, both fights will be interesting i think. He will be the underdog in either of those fights again. He will make much more in 2 fights doing Boxing than all his UFC career. Hell, he probably made more in that one fight with Fury already. If i was him i would not bother going to MMA if there is the potential of at least one big Boxing fight against anyone of those 2 mentioned. He does not have anything to prove in MMA anyway. Maybe he could come back after the boxing fight to face Jones or do the Miocic trilogy, but beyond that, i do not see anything else worthwhile there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mentor said:

There are rumors about AJ or WIlder, both fights will be interesting i think. He will be the underdog in either of those fights again. He will make much more in 2 fights doing Boxing than all his UFC career. Hell, he probably made more in that one fight with Fury already. If i was him i would not bother going to MMA if there is the potential of at least one big Boxing fight against anyone of those 2 mentioned. He does not have anything to prove in MMA anyway. Maybe he could come back after the boxing fight to face Jones or do the Miocic trilogy, but beyond that, i do not see anything else worthwhile there.

I saw he posted something about fighting Wilder in MMA in the PFL.  I'm sure that's just nonsense, but I do think he's still contracted to PFL.  The issue is finding a suitable opponent.

• Like 1