Special moves & seminars

Suggestion: Special moves & seminars

Suggestions Description: Add the concept of special moves. This would be rare things that can work a little bit as a signature move for fighters, like Imanari roll or some of the things suggested for advanced submissions or strikes. Each one could have some prerequisite for being able to learn it, like a combination of maybe takedowns, submissions and flexibility for an Imanari roll. But if the fighter has the move or not is binary. If they do it will have a chance to replace a move of the appropriate type during fights, like a takedown for the Imanari roll. But it would be a slightly stronger version like the Imanari roll landing you straight into a leglock position.. which I realise may not be a thing in the fight engine now but you get the idea, it can maybe let you get straight to the next action and get a submission attempt.

So how do fighters pick up the special moves? One way could be by very rare random events given that a fighter has the prerequisite skill. This would be how a new move initially enters the MMA Tycoon world. And Vlad, you don't even need to tell us when new moves are added, people will find out eventually.

Another could be that we add seminars. Something that takes a full day (two training sessions) for the fighter holding them. It will be at a specific gym with a fee for attending fighters and a paycheck for the instructor fighter holding it. Note that the gym should be able to take a cut here and gym and instructor does not necessarily belong to the same manager.

It works as two regular training sessions in one specific skill for attendees and will also have a chance for each of them to learn a special move the instructor has related to that skill. Chance to learn depend on the instructors coaching skill. The instructor will lose the two training sessions but gets the money instead as well as their coaching skill trained. I could imagine people being willing to pay a lot for a chance to learn attractive special moves even if they only offer a slight advantage over regular ones.

I suppose seminars could be invite-only or open to anyone but should have a max attendance of maybe 12.

Having a fighter run seminars could also be used as a mechanic to earn money from the simulated general public.

Another thing (or an alternative to adding seminars) should be that ex-fighter coaches working at your gym have a small chance to spread any special moves they have every week.

There should be a limit to how many special moves a fighter can have in total, like 3?

There are probably ways to improve this suggestion, I'm not 100% happy with it as is but throwing it out there for discussion.

Pros:

• Special moves makes fighters more unique
  • Spreading moves drives player interaction
  • Realism, seminars are very much a thing happening irl

Cons:

• May introduce balancing issues with OP moves
  • Could make luck more of a factor in fights
  • May be difficult to keep moves a rare thing and they become just a standard thing that every fighter has
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, jjsquirrel said:

Suggestion: Special moves & seminars

Suggestions Description: Add the concept of special moves. This would be rare things that can work a little bit as a signature move for fighters, like Imanari roll or some of the things suggested for advanced submissions or strikes. Each one could have some prerequisite for being able to learn it, like a combination of maybe takedowns, submissions and flexibility for an Imanari roll. But if the fighter has the move or not is binary. If they do it will have a chance to replace a move of the appropriate type during fights, like a takedown for the Imanari roll. But it would be a slightly stronger version like the Imanari roll landing you straight into a leglock position.. which I realise may not be a thing in the fight engine now but you get the idea, it can maybe let you get straight to the next action and get a submission attempt.

So how do fighters pick up the special moves? One way could be by very rare random events given that a fighter has the prerequisite skill. This would be how a new move initially enters the MMA Tycoon world. And Vlad, you don't even need to tell us when new moves are added, people will find out eventually.

Another could be that we add seminars. Something that takes a full day (two training sessions) for the fighter holding them. It will be at a specific gym with a fee for attending fighters and a paycheck for the instructor fighter holding it. Note that the gym should be able to take a cut here and gym and instructor does not necessarily belong to the same manager.

It works as two regular training sessions in one specific skill for attendees and will also have a chance for each of them to learn a special move the instructor has related to that skill. Chance to learn depend on the instructors coaching skill. The instructor will lose the two training sessions but gets the money instead as well as their coaching skill trained. I could imagine people being willing to pay a lot for a chance to learn attractive special moves even if they only offer a slight advantage over regular ones.

I suppose seminars could be invite-only or open to anyone but should have a max attendance of maybe 12.

Having a fighter run seminars could also be used as a mechanic to earn money from the simulated general public.

Another thing (or an alternative to adding seminars) should be that ex-fighter coaches working at your gym have a small chance to spread any special moves they have every week.

There should be a limit to how many special moves a fighter can have in total, like 3?

There are probably ways to improve this suggestion, I'm not 100% happy with it as is but throwing it out there for discussion.

Pros:

• Special moves makes fighters more unique
  • Spreading moves drives player interaction
  • Realism, seminars are very much a thing happening irl

Cons:

• May introduce balancing issues with OP moves
  • Could make luck more of a factor in fights
  • May be difficult to keep moves a rare thing and they become just a standard thing that every fighter has

I like the ideas, but if these seminars were a thing, it would be too overpowered. There would have to be an actual decision, with risk and rewards either way. I would say you would miss out on a week of training. That would make managers say hmm, I could learn this special move that may help my fights, but I would miss a week of training. It needs to be a tough question, or else everyone would attend the seminar and the move wouldn’t be rare because everyone would have it.

• Upvote 1

Costs could be increased in various ways, maybe also add some potential high energy loss from the seminar which effectively loses you more training sessions? Out of all my suggestions this is the one i feel is the least thought out so far so I welcome some discussion.

Honestly, I'd be in favour of something like this if it's purely cosmetic plus that would mean it's easier to implement.

Barring a really significant engine revamp, I'm not sure if it's capable of making so many significant distinctions between an attack of the same type. Currently a sub attack from guard is a sub attack from guard as far as I know, regardless of what kind of sub it says it is. Much like how the slap flavour text can still rock/cut people... because it's like any other non-finisher head punch while standing.

But, if it's just a matter of giving people an incentive to spend some fighter money to unlock more flavour text, then I think that's pretty awesome. Enables a bit of fighter flavour and role playing elements. I actually have an idea in regards to personalising some flavour text which ties into this pretty well that I'll post up that would further help with making your guys a bit more unique.