Tournament Lifeline

Tournaments are a way to increase activity in this game. We’ve all experienced a tournament go off the rails when either the Organizer or Participants go inactive. Not sure how to handle it if the Org Owner disappears, but in the case of participants, are we able to add a failsafe where there is an auto-accept for fights?

Pros:

- fighters/managers who are still invested in the experience continue to enjoy themselves.

Cons:

- none that I can think of. 

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, jjsquirrel said:

I would just like to add that the auto-accept should not be instant so the manager still has a chance to reject fights. That protects against org owner misuse (however unlikely) as well as honest mistakes 

going along with this we would need a tournament mode. Tournament mode activates the fail safe trigger.

on a side note it would be nice to implement a built-in bracket system similar to the challonge bracket maker.

i don’t mean to hi-jack your thread OP, I didn’t wanna make a separate thread

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, J0J0 said:

going along with this we would need a tournament mode. Tournament mode activates the fail safe trigger.

on a side note it would be nice to implement a built-in bracket system similar to the challonge bracket maker.

i don’t mean to hi-jack your thread OP, I didn’t wanna make a separate thread

All good man, perfectly valid point to add. @jjsquirrel agreed as well. 

• Upvote 1

That is certainly one option that has been pointed out. Here’s the problem:

- garnering enough interest to have managers create and hold can be difficult.

- what is the magic number of alternates?

- what if those alternates change their minds and drop out also?

I’m basing this suggestion on my own experience running my first tournament. I’ve also participated in a few that have died a slow death for the same reason, so this is not necessarily an isolated event. 

I like the idea with the already mentioned caveats added-in. Alternates is actually the worst & biggest pain in the ass option in my opinion.

I considered having the option to have a temporary (duration of remainder of tournament) "computer-generated" stand in instead of alternates might work but that's maybe a whole other can of worms.