Guess Diaz isnt lying

toejam98

KO power really doesn't come from technique or any sort of natural born ability. It's really just pure physics. It's all in the size of the hands. Just like swinging a hammer...you use a big ol framing hammer vs a finished carpentry hammer...there's an obvious difference in force. So guys like Carwin and Lesnar cause extreme damage without even trying. Then you look at a guy like Bisping...throws with good technique, he just has small hands. Nothing he can ever do about it.

Thats yes and no. Power is speed + mass. But it favors people who are more hevy handed but guys like body builders who have extreamly big hands are just very slow so their pucnhing power is not that good.

Really nothing about it on Internet? That sounds fishy.

What are you wanting? It was 17 years ago. This was a site discussing UFC Referee Big John McCarthy's book.

http://prommanow.com/2011/12/14/fixed-fights-in-the-ufc-a-look-inside-the-autobiography-of-big-john-mccarthy-part-1/

Would Don Frye really do that?

On Dec. 7, 1996 at Ultimate Ultimate 96, McCarthy believes it happened again:

“Unfortunately, this night was the second time I felt I was refereeing a fixed bout. In the semifinals, Don Frye and Mark Hall met in a rematch of their UFC 10 bout. In their first encounter Frye had beaten the piss out of Hall, who’d refused to give up. Here, though, Frye ankle-locked Hall to advance to the finals without breaking a sweat.”

“The fight struck me as odd. Frye, a bread-and-butter wrestler and swing-for-the-fences puncher, had never won a fight by leg lock, and Hall practically fell into the submission. I also knew both fighters were managed by the same guy.”
(from page 215)

McCarthy said he told Bob Meyrowitz, the UFC owner at the time, that the fight was fake but Meyrowitz asked how he could think that.

McCarthy goes on to say rumors that Hall had thrown the fight circulated for months until Hall finally came out and admitted it and said Frye had offered to pay him. Hall said he came forward only after Frye failed to pay up. Frye denied the accusations.

I doubt density has much to do with it when every fighter wraps their hand in what is essentially a cast. They all have hard hands. As for Tank, he made his name fighting (and often losing to) guys half his size. I had an old room mate in the Corps who loved Tank. He knew nothing of MMA, but he knew Tank was a trucker looking brawler and that turned him on. He was one of those guys with a huge chest and tiny legs almost like a cartoon character. I often joked that his legs shouldn't even be able to support all that upper body.

Humours, about those guys taking dives BrainSmasher is actually right. It was $5k, not $50k. Back then you were lucky to even get paid $5k for a tournament win.

I dont know maybe even thats true but still Tanks last fight was 1min KO so they both where 100% in their fight.

I doubt density has much to do with it when every fighter wraps their hand in what is essentially a cast. They all have hard hands. As for Tank, he made his name fighting (and often losing to) guys half his size. I had an old room mate in the Corps who loved Tank. He knew nothing of MMA, but he knew Tank was a trucker looking brawler and that turned him on. He was one of those guys with a huge chest and tiny legs almost like a cartoon character. I often joked that his legs shouldn't even be able to support all that upper body.

Most of the guys Tank fought were his size or bigger. Look it up. Also agree about Tanks legs. NOt sure why but lots of boxers have legs like that. I know Tank boxed and wrestlers for years. Mostly wreslted. I do know he was in a car wreck in his teens and almost lost his legs. Might be why they are so small back then. The wreck is also how he lost his front teeth.

Humours, about those guys taking dives BrainSmasher is actually right. It was $5k, not $50k. Back then you were lucky to even get paid $5k for a tournament win.

The winner got like 150,000. Even the first UFC's was 50,000. I think the Oleg fight was 75,000. By the UU2 the fighters were paid a few grand to show. So its very possible it was 50,000 and thats the number than i see people claiming. Even thought it sounds crazy to think he is giving 1/3 away. I guess Frye knew he was never going to pay up anyway.

Most of the guys Tank fought were his size or bigger. Look it up. Also agree about Tanks legs. NOt sure why but lots of boxers have legs like that. I know Tank boxed and wrestlers for years. Mostly wreslted. I do know he was in a car wreck in his teens and almost lost his legs. Might be why they are so small back then. The wreck is also how he lost his front teeth.

If you look at the guys who are listed on Wikipedia out of 19 fights only 4 of opponents are heavier than him. And there are 4 guys who are not listed there so even if they still are hevier the majorty are lighter.

I dont know maybe even thats true but still Tanks last fight was 1min KO so they both where 100% in their fight.

Thats silly. Tank was bigger and was more aggressive. Not to mention the adrinaline of having to have a second fight. Adinaline dumps kills your energy. While Frye was walking out to play footsies. The only way they are both 100% id if they meet without any other fights. Tank lost because he was tired and maybe wasnt moving as fast as he would have and Frye stepped on his foot and he fell down. Frye might not get so luck if Tank wasnt tired. Even though his fights were short. He used a ton of energy in them. He almost threw Worsham out of the cage. He held him above his head for a logn time. He threw a big flurry on Nelmark and was starting to tire in that fight before he hit him in the light switch.

If you look at the guys who are listed on Wikipedia out of 19 fights only 4 of opponents are heavier than him. And there are 4 guys who are not listed there so even if they still are hevier the majorty are lighter.

11 guys were about the same weight as him or bigger when they fought. Even Mir out weighted him in their fight. Tank come in at 243. He was 231 during the training camp for the fight. (I remember stuff like that like it was yesterday.)

Thats silly. Tank was bigger and was more aggressive. Not to mention the adrinaline of having to have a second fight. Adinaline dumps kills your energy. While Frye was walking out to play footsies. The only way they are both 100% id if they meet without any other fights. Tank lost because he was tired and maybe wasnt moving as fast as he would have and Frye stepped on his foot and he fell down. Frye might not get so luck if Tank wasnt tired. Even though his fights were short. He used a ton of energy in them. He almost threw Worsham out of the cage. He held him above his head for a logn time. He threw a big flurry on Nelmark and was starting to tire in that fight before he hit him in the light switch.

I also noticed that Frys first fight where 11 minutes so he most likely was very tired and banged up. And after 1 minute of fight where you have won by KO you really dont need much time to recover to 100% if you didnt get any injuries.

11 guys were about the same weight as him or bigger when they fought. Even Mir out weighted him in their fight. Tank come in at 243. He was 231 during the training camp for the fight. (I remember stuff like that like it was yesterday.)

Yes Mir was counted as one of those 4. The facts shows that in 19 fights with fighters that are listed in Wikipeadi 4 where hevier. You cant argue with it thats a fact.

Yes Mir was counted as one of those 4. The facts shows that in 19 fights with fighters that are listed in Wikipeadi 4 where hevier. You cant argue with it thats a fact.

I can argue because you are wrong. Matua, Varleans, Severn, Nelmark, Kimo, Mir, Cabbage x 2, Buentello, Ferrozzo, Bourke, Ferrozzo. Thats 11 guys and 12 fights. Tanks weight as well as his opponents changed in each fight.

I dont think it is that simple. I have seen guys with normal hands with heavy hands. I do think the bones might explain it but it isnt just size of the hands. I think density or strength of the bones is at play and not just the fist. The entire arm and shoulder too. But even then there isnt much science to support what the cause of having heavy hands is. Boxers have seen this effect for ever but its never really been explained. Its one of those things almost impossible to measure or test. I think it goes beyond mass x acceleration but that is about the only thing you see anyone test. Then you have knockouts themselves being hard to test. There is never a X amount of power than causes a KO. It is always different and has tons of factors.

I hate to say it, but it really is that simple. It's really not rocket science, and we can go back and forth on a bunch of other logistics...but you hit with your hands, is the bottom line.

I realize Tank has a ton of fans for his style of fighting and all, but I don't even understand how this topic is arguable. After losing to Don Frye in the finals, Tank Abbott went to shit. He only beat up on the most canny of cans and he was getting KO'd and subbed left and right. His conditioning was terrible, he had no actual technique and the only thing he could do was lay and smother his opponents or go out swinging 100% hoping for the knockout. While I will say it was awesome to watch the guy and I myself was a fan and liked Tank Abbott, I'm smart enough to know when a fighter is exciting but not very good. Was he reliable to take a fight on short notice? Yes. Was he exciting to watch? Yes. Was he a good fighter? No.

Good is a relative term. He did great for the conditions he fought under. There is a lot that goes into have a good record. Tank fought any fight and didnt turn any down. Most fighters cherry pick and avoid bad style fights. Today fighters are still manipulating the match ups by pulling out and other shit. Just last night WSOF said Burkman will fight Fitch. Then Burkman heard about it and knows he cant win and said he earned a title shot trying to duck that fight. Then you have promotions protecting and building guys through match making.Is Jorge Santiago the worst fighter ever? Is there no one he can beat in the UFC? He is clearly a very talented fighter. But the UFC has never given him a break. He gets the worst fights possible while others get a bone thrown their way after a loss or two. They beat him out of the UFC over and over. While he kills everyone when the UFC isnt his match maker. It shows how important the right fights are. If match making was random everyone would lose constantly.Tank wasnt protected and was often given shitty deals as for notice for fights. While guys like Kimo, Ken Shamrock, and others were constantly pulling out of tournaments. Often once they realized who they were fighting next. It makes a record look real nice when you can get the wins and bail out when you might lose. Tank was a very good fighter who did what a fighter does. But he didnt handle his career like a business like todays fighters do. If he did he would have turned down most of his fights on short notice or when he was hurt. But why would anyone want that? As a fan of his im glad to have seen those fight. I know the reason before the loss so it doesnt bother me. But i still got to see exciting fight that i wouldnt have otherwise. Im sure the fans paying for the event loved him stepping up too. He should be credited for doing that and not punish because the result. Only a dumbass would keep bringing up Weidmans cardio vs Maia when it was short notice and we know he has good cardio other times. He deserves props and i will never give him shit for that performance.

Tank in his era was one of the best and there is no way to deny it. When he come in there was only 1 better wrestler than him. That was Severn. In 18 fights in the UFC he was only takedown down 3 times in his career and scored 10 Takedowns himself. He was one of the better strikers. He was the strongest. He hit the hardest. Had a granite chin. Sounds like a damn good fighter to me.

He wasnt even the best in his era. When you watch a fighter fight you can see if he has talent, when you watch tank fight you see a bunch of arm flaling for 2 minutes before he gets tired and tanks a nap.

You know whats funny, Seth Petruzelli takes a fight on 3 hours notice, weighs 40 pounds less then his opponent and then TKO's him in 1 minute. That same Opponent who Knocked the hell out of Tank Abbott and KO'd him in like 1 minute.

Tank wasn't even good for his ERA, and his ERA was awful. Nobody in the UFC when tank was in the UFC would be able to make it in todays UFC. They were all crap fighters.

Keep making excuses for a 10-14 fighter whose never beaten anyone good in his entire life.

Randy Couture and Herschell Walker at 48 or 49 w/e the hell they are RIGHT NOW would whipe the floor with Tank IN HIS PRIME.

Humours I think he just lifted lol, in the promo for one of his fights (I think with cabbage) He doesnt talk about training just how much weight he can lift and all the videos are him benching and doing deadlifts n shit hahahahahah

It hardly looks like that :D but the time he have put in lifting I have to say he are very good at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UbTxG1ah54

I cant find any Tanks training videos. Did he even train MMA or he was just lifting?

Well he is 47 just having fun. I would say he doesnt train much except some boxing and lifting and cardio. But the old UFC used to market him as someone who didnt train. He always trained and he did so with high level guys in all the major styles. When he comeback from WCW he was training with BJJ Black Belt John Marsh who was also a good fighter. He trained with him for years. Has always trained with high level wrestlers. A few years back he was training with a Mauy Thai guy. Thats why you see him throw kicks for the first time in his career in his KO of Cabbage. But at 47 you cant expect to get much out of training. It wont be the difference maker in the outcome of the fight. Dan Severn fought the last decade plus of his career without training at all.

I have a DVD with him rolling with his friend Eddie Ruiz who competed at ADCC.