TUF 18: Team Rousey vs Team Tate (Discussion Thread)

DeadlyDirk

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 18 cast member Jessamyn Duke has kept a blog throughout the season. Duke's entry this week revealed something shocking about coach and UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.

Semi-finalists Anthony Gutierrez and David Grant never got to fight one another as scheduled on Wednesday's episode because Gutierrez did not make weight. After weighing in four pounds heavy the day before their scheduled fight, Gutierrez had another hour to make weight but chose not to try to do so.

As a result, he forfeited the fight and was kicked out of the TUF house. Rousey was the coach for both Gutierrez and Grant. The episode showed her talking with UFC president Dana White after Gutierrez was kicked out and telling the promoter that she herself was going to cut weight because she felt bad that she didn't guide Anthony through successfully.

The editing made it appear as if White talked her out of doing so. In an apparently entirely different part of the week, the episode showed Rousey beating opposing coach Miesha Tate in a wall-climbing challenge.

Jessamyn's blog entry this week reveals that Rousey did indeed go through with cutting weight to demonstrate to the fighters what is possible through strength of will, and she won the wall-climbing challenge while in the midst of that extreme weight cut.

[Rousey] jumped on the scale after Anthony missed weight and was 152 pounds. Without any sort of prep (diet, water loading, sodium loading/cutting, etc.) jumped in the sauna and was in there for FIVE hours before it was time to go to the coaches challenge. Yes, Ronda Rousey cut weight in the sauna for five hours, went to a rock climbing challenge, won, and then went BACK to the sauna that night and cut some more.

The next day when it was time for Jessica and Raquel to fight, she was at the gym before anyone else arrived and was back in the sauna cutting weight. When the rest of us arrived she was sitting at 136 pounds in the locker room. I watched her warm up Rakoczy for her fight while on weight and then step on the scale in front of Dana and be 135 pounds. She did this to prove a point.

She's still a cbomb.

• Upvote 1

I just finished the latest episode and oh wow... how can you talk smack about another guy not making weight, eat all that shit. Claim you always make weight and then fucking quit? yeah he at least should have done the last hour and if he didn't make yeah that's bad but just throwing in the towel like that. He needs to find another career for sure

How many times how you made a weight cut of that manner? How many times have you won proffesional fights, or even stepped inside a ring? Maybe weaker than a lot of other fighters but sure as hell less weak than an average person.

Lol. I've done it more times than you think. But regardless, it's a matter of opinion.

Lol. I've done it more times than you think. But regardless, it's a matter of opinion.

i wasnt gonna comment, but as a boxer i had to make weight plenty of times, and im also a personal trainer, i barely ate anything and ALWAYS went through hell to make weight, it depends on your biotype, yours obviously allows you to fluctuate easily, mine DOESNT... On the flip side, to lose 17lbs in 24hrs and win a rock climbing contest is EXTREMELY impressive.

Likewise, eating a samech JAMMED PACKED with mayo and avocado right before needing to cut weight and QUITTING an hour before the absolute last chance while drinking bathwater is pisspoor weight management and pathetic, let him get a real job and wish he had the opportunity because all the fighters that are on this game WISH we had that opportunity

Why dont the guys who struggle to make weight so bad just go up a fuckin weight class?

I saw him fighting at Featherweight at Titan (he is legit for sure)... at TUF many guys don't fight at their natural weight, because of the opportunity and later change the weightclass - i am sure more than half of the TUF survivors in the UFC fight in a different wc nowadays.

I saw him fighting at Featherweight at Titan (he is legit for sure)... at TUF many guys don't fight at their natural weight, because of the opportunity and later change the weightclass - i am sure more than half of the TUF survivors in the UFC fight in a different wc nowadays.

Good point! I didnt think about that haha

Why dont the guys who struggle to make weight so bad just go up a fuckin weight class?

The thing about it is he could have easily made weight and there would have been no struggle had he not been eating whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

On a side note, I agree with I think it was PBR who laughed at her giving Meisha shit about her fighter not making weight and now the tables turned. Lol.

I finally saw the episode...oddly enough I suppose i was glad the weight cut thing was spoiled (i saw the thread/post here about Rousey's weight cut which indicated Anthony didn't make weight) because as a viewer I may have felt disappointed. The last missed weight cut had another fight to view instead.

Maybe Gutierrez will get a six figure contract like Bollinger.

I seen an interview with Gutierrez and he said he had to sit at home for the last few weeks/months however long its been and not even let anyone know that he didn't make weight and how people were thinking he was going to do good in the series. I thought it was kind of funny and sad but that would have to suck.

I finally saw the episode...oddly enough I suppose i was glad the weight cut thing was spoiled (i saw the thread/post here about Rousey's weight cut which indicated Anthony didn't make weight) because as a viewer I may have felt disappointed. The last missed weight cut had another fight to view instead.

Maybe Gutierrez will get a six figure contract like Bollinger.

Yeah it sucked that we didn't get a fight at all, wth! Who did Bollinger sign with?

I seen an interview with Gutierrez and he said he had to sit at home for the last few weeks/months however long its been and not even let anyone know that he didn't make weight and how people were thinking he was going to do good in the series. I thought it was kind of funny and sad but that would have to suck.

That would be so bad watching it with your mates knowing whats coming.. everyone's got the popcorn and beers out, excited to see you fight only to see you look like a little pussy haha.

Also, put the link up here!

Bollinger signed with WSOF he's gonna fight at 145 but the contract ain't no where near six figures. WSOF doesn't throw $ around like that

You may be right, but my comment above was based on the link below. The link both claims a six-figure contract and that he will have to fight at 135.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/31/5051674/tuf-18-jetsam-cody-bollinger-signs-six-figure-contract-wsof-mma

You may be right, but my comment above was based on the link below. The link both claims a six-figure contract and that he will have to fight at 135.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/31/5051674/tuf-18-jetsam-cody-bollinger-signs-six-figure-contract-wsof-mma

probably is a six figure contract but with probably more fights than usual ufc tuf contract

"GET USED TO WIPING YOUR ASS WITH YOUR OTHER HAND, BITCH."

lolol

you know what the messed up part is she has done said she is going to break tate's arm and make sure she breaks it -- i consider that worse than palharres really -- ronda has done said she doesnt care and is gonna break her arm -- if she ends up not letting go (if tap happens) and does it thats gonna make dana look bad if he doesnt fire her or do something to her after firing palharres

you know what the messed up part is she has done said she is going to break tate's arm and make sure she breaks it -- i consider that worse than palharres really -- ronda has done said she doesnt care and is gonna break her arm -- if she ends up not letting go (if tap happens) and does it thats gonna make dana look bad if he doesnt fire her or do something to her after firing palharres

Palhares is the man. Falsely accused of malicious intent. People rally in numbers due to emotional finger tips typing a mess and the media trying to blow it out of proportion. Palhares has never held on to a submission for too long. Rampage vs Wanderlei Silva anybody? Anybody complain and jump on their horse about that one?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Palhares is the man. Falsely accused of malicious intent. People rally in numbers due to emotional finger tips typing a mess and the media trying to blow it out of proportion. Palhares has never held on to a submission for too long. Rampage vs Wanderlei Silva anybody? Anybody complain and jump on their horse about that one?

Palhares has held onto subs for to long the last one was borderline but he has a history. Wandy Vs Rampage was bad can't argue that. Ronda needs a shrink and to sit on a couch for awhile and figure out why she is such incomplete human. obession often leds to much worse things specially if you have a bunch of yes men/women behind you