American Dentist illegally kills Lion

Wolf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33699346

Not sure if anyone has heard but an American dentist lured Cecil the Lion off of the National Park and killed it, then took its head as a trophy. He has also killed many other animals, endangered or not but killing the lion in Zimbabwe which was a protected animal

What's everyone's opinions on this and on trophy hunting in general?

Some hunting is okay, culling animals ao they dont destroy the enviroment like the deers that are not native to the New Forest, if they are too many they destroy the trees.

However, I am completely against suffering for animals. That includes batteries, this pamplona bullshit in spain, the dog meat festival in Asia or this whale slaughtering in the Faroe Islads.

I don't get the thinking behind why this dentist had to kill this lion. He's clearly a very selfish man and did not think of the consequences.

One part of me wants to feed him to the lions... He had no mercy for those lions..

He's currently wanted, and faces upto 15 years in prison if found guilty. It's also said the lion took about 40 hours to die after being shot with a bow and arrow.

This disgusts me in ways i can't describe. He's done trophy hunting before although and there's pictures of him on the internet next to his kills, rhinos, leopards etc.

He's currently wanted, and faces upto 15 years in prison if found guilty. It's also said the lion took about 40 hours to die after being shot with a bow and arrow.

This disgusts me in ways i can't describe. He's done trophy hunting before although and there's pictures of him on the internet next to his kills, rhinos, leopards etc.

I heard that on radio 2 too.

I don't understand the thrill. I really don't get it.

I'm disgusted and sickened like everybody at killing for no reason, but what makes it worse for me is the way it's done. If these people were crazy thrill-addicts who fought dangerous animals with their bare hands or something I'd have a reluctant respect for them at least. I can't find any way to understand these cowards.

For me this stupid people and their trophyes are the most shittiest persons. Leave nature alone or if your really that of a stud that you like killing them, why not try it with your own hands? They will most probably shit their pants if they were locked in a cage with a lion or bear or any big animal they like to have on their wall.

Nature is already struggaling because of the humans. Killing endengered animals and cutting down the forest will affect us not enspecially now, but the future generation. I'm thinking now like a future father. Would you like your kids to not have the possibility to see hundreds of species that already disappeared or will disappear soon?

I'm going to post an unpopular opinion here.

I learned a few years ago in Environmental Economics and also Environmental Philosophy that it is often better to allow people to pay to kill endangered species in underdeveloped and developing countries than to deny them. There are many case studies about this. Paying exorbitant amounts to kill an animal or two goes miles towards protecting the species from poachers. There is a direct correlation with the amount of money coming in from environmental tourism/hunting and the amount of poaching going on. More money = less poaching. Poachers (especially in Africa) are a massive problem due to these animals being worth a fortune. Poachers kill so many more animals vs paid hunters its not even close. Scientists on the ground, and me personally, believe and have proven that money given by hunters directly bolsters the ability of African nations to stop poachers. African nations by and large are poor as hell and just don't have the money for infrastructure to fight poachers. Even the threat of death penalty has not slowed the poaching. Its not hunters paying tons of money that are killing off these precious animals; actually it is much the opposite. They are helping more than almost anyone realizes.

That being said. Fuck that guy. What a dick.

He actually paid 50k to do that too... all the things I could do with 50k.... and this guy uses it to kill a magnificent creature for sport..... the world is an f'd up place

I wonder how many people in his practice were in dire financial situations but had to have treatment therefore sucked it up and something else didn't get paid... and were told it was the "lowest they could go." Then they see he what he paid... and rage hits.

I wonder how many people in his practice were in dire financial situations but had to have treatment therefore sucked it up and something else didn't get paid... and were told it was the "lowest they could go." Then they see he what he paid... and rage hits.

The sad realities of a private health care system...

Use a GPS tracking device on an animal and lure it off of the reserve with food and kill it in a cruel manner where it must suffer for hours before dying just for a trophy? It would be one thing if he jumped into a cage fight with it and won. Otherwise its like fighting a dog with an armored tank.

Stupid

• Upvote 1

The sad realities of a private health care system...

Other health care system are in the same boat, in many cases dental is separate and not part of the government health care system.

Other health care system are in the same boat, in many cases dental is separate and not part of the government health care system.

What I was referring to was the fact that many people have to put off important things in life to get necessary medical and dental care. The prices are set so high that care providers like this can throw 50 grand plus incidentals just to kill a big cat. Healthcare is affordable or almost free in most of the Western world. Their doctors make great money but nothing like American doctors/dentists have the ability to make. American doctors have worse outcomes overall than their western peers and their patients pay far more. Its a sad state of affairs.

Our dentists kinda rock though. They are still way to expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a few years ago in Environmental Economics and also Environmental Philosophy that it is often better to allow people to pay to kill endangered species in underdeveloped and developing countries than to deny them. There are many case studies about this. Paying exorbitant amounts to kill an animal or two goes miles towards protecting the species from poachers. There is a direct correlation with the amount of money coming in from environmental tourism/hunting and the amount of poaching going on. More money = less poaching. Poachers (especially in Africa) are a massive problem due to these animals being worth a fortune. Poachers kill so many more animals vs paid hunters its not even close. Scientists on the ground, and me personally, believe and have proven that money given by hunters directly bolsters the ability of African nations to stop poachers. African nations by and large are poor as hell and just don't have the money for infrastructure to fight poachers. Even the threat of death penalty has not slowed the poaching. Its not hunters paying tons of money that are killing off these precious animals; actually it is much the opposite. They are helping more than almost anyone realizes.

sad but true

• 3 weeks later...

That's true of course, but look at it this way..

Just because this wierd kind of animal death prostitution might have some incidental positives because it generates money, it doesn't make it a good thing. I know you already agree because you said "That being said. Fuck that guy. What a dick.". I just want to expand that idea a bit.

That guy had $50k to spend. He could have spent that $50k on protecting lions. He could have had the warm feeling of doing something good, and I'm sure (if attention is what he seeks) he could take a holiday (vacation) in Africa and be treated as a guest of honour. The Man That Donated $50k. I'm sure he would be greeted by preservationists there, and most of the local population, as a hero. As well as keeping the lions safe, he could be providing work for twenty people for years. He could have visited there as a well loved patron and gone out anytime and viewed the lions he helped to protect.

But no, what was important to this nasty fuckwit was that he could go back to the Minneapolis suburbs and "impress" his hunting friends that he went to another part of the world and killed a lion in its prime, with no regard to lions, Africans, or life itselff. Arrogant shit. That's what's important to him. He must be a real cbomb.

• Upvote 1