MMATycoon re-boot

JLP

I feel everyone has made some good points anything to improve the game is fine but me

I'm going to throw this out there but I still think all the cities should all have the same size arena

Yeah I know it's been brought up numerous times

But hear me out if the was more arenas the same size it might cut down a little bit on the travelling

Say I think it's steel pen in Hilo use London and la big arenas thus saving the fighters travelling from Hilo etc

Also this would may b allow the smaller orgs to grow more as the owners can look and think cool I. An use a big arena instead of dam ( big org ) has the arena booked for 5 weeks

And I've now stopped rambling now and prob gone miles off topic

The engine + Physicals + New Primes and skills = I agree this is unrealistic, but this is a simulator based on a fictual world of fighters. Lighter fighters do not (in real life) generally have an advantage either, it is an advantage here though. People which join the game should just find out how the game is played and we should forget about everything which occurs in real life. By adding new primaries our gaming experience wont improve, having a new skill such as technical punching, wont improve our gaming experience either.

Org matters = This comes up a lot, however there is nothing wrong with this either, it is most certainly not broken. The goal is to get to PPV where the big cash is, if an org fails to get there, they will struggle eventually, everyone knows that. By altering the way this works, will mean the whole economy will crash. I agree there should be bigger ratings than 1003 and there should be other factors which play into the ratings, but those are non-economic factors.

Free Agency = I do not see anything wrong with it. Top level managers get first option and a few get picked up via spin and win. The unlimited pick ups is also a money maker for Mike, so why put limits to it.

Cities = I agree with travel, i think there should be some way this works differently. It is a very boring part of the game which wastes lots of time and most people hate it. Removing cities is plane dumb though, i rather add more cities and remove travel.

What we do need though is a place where money will be spent. This could be a new company type, addition to the gyms, expansion to the alliance features

One more matter is sponsorships. Let's make fighter who are sponsored by a certain company to only be able to wear that companies clothes. A lot of this games features needs upgrading. Maybe Mike should hire another programmer? Cause now it seems he is only interested in woc and betting.

• Upvote 1

I havent read all the comments or replies but a reboot is a stupid idea just because JLP doesn't like the engine. This is a GAME and Mike is always working on it to improve.

If we reboot JLP will just find something else to complain about.

Also, there is a mini reboot every few months, it's called "The Island"

Your reading comprehension is poor. I think the engine is probably the 2nd best incarnation we have had. I suggested some drastic change that I don't think could be done without a reboot. If mike can implement the ones he likes without it, that's fine by me.

Right now he's working on Twitter, which is going to be a huge time sink for whomever has to moderate it. I'm not really interested in fighters calling other fighters "fags" and "pussies" over and over.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Your reading comprehension is poor. I think the engine is probably the 2nd best incarnation we have had. I suggested some drastic change that I don't think could be done without a reboot. If mike can implement the ones he likes without it, that's fine by me.

Right now he's working on Twitter, which is going to be a huge time sink for whomever has to moderate it. I'm not really interested in fighters calling other fighters "fags" and "pussies" over and over.

The 2nd best incarnation we ever had. Hence your need to complain about something.

Mike is always working on changes to improve the game. Some work, some don't. But hey, let's take this enjoyable game where people have spent money on VIP and years to build up their orgs and stable of fighters and just start over. Because you feel like some changes are necessary and can't be done without a reboot.

You know, for someone who isn't accepting fights due to an incoming child (congrats btw), you sure have a lot of time to reply on the forums and to make suggestions on how to make MMATycoon perfect.

• Upvote 6

One more matter is sponsorships. Let's make fighter who are sponsored by a certain company to only be able to wear that companies clothes. A lot of this games features needs upgrading. Maybe Mike should hire another programmer? Cause now it seems he is only interested in woc and betting.

You guys forget that this is his job, which means its a buisness. Of course he is interested in WOC and Betting, because it makes him money. Whats the number 1 goal of a buisness? To make money. Duh. The game is just fine the way it is. The only thing I would change of of JLP's list is the travelling.

• Upvote 1

The 2nd best incarnation we ever had. Hence your need to complain about something.

Mike is always working on changes to improve the game. Some work, some don't. But hey, let's take this enjoyable game where people have spent money on VIP and years to build up their orgs and stable of fighters and just start over. Because you feel like some changes are necessary and can't be done without a reboot.

You know, for someone who isn't accepting fights due to an incoming child (congrats btw), you sure have a lot of time to reply on the forums and to make suggestions on how to make MMATycoon perfect.

I said earlier a reboot would only be needed if mike felt that it was necessary to implement some of the more complex changes. I made suggestions for discussion, not demands. There's a big difference but I think you overlooked it in your juvenile rush to attack.

I had a free weekend, the first in weeks and likely the last for months and thought I'd liven up a stagnant board. Now I'm at work trying to get a chiller up and running and have some downtime while waiting for a part. No need for you to get all agitated about my posting.

You guys forget that this is his job, which means its a buisness. Of course he is interested in WOC and Betting, because it makes him money. Whats the number 1 goal of a buisness? To make money. Duh. The game is just fine the way it is. The only thing I would change of of JLP's list is the travelling.

So what's his job, mmatycoon or woc? It will stop making him money soon if he doesn't start doing anything. 95% of managers don't care about WOC or betting.

• Downvote 1

I said earlier a reboot would only be needed if mike felt that it was necessary to implement some of the more complex changes. I made suggestions for discussion, not demands. There's a big difference but I think you overlooked it in your juvenile rush to attack.

I had a free weekend, the first in weeks and likely the last for months and thought I'd liven up a stagnant board. Now I'm at work trying to get a chiller up and running and have some downtime while waiting for a part. No need for you to get all agitated about my posting.

Not agitated, although i do find it amusing that you're saying there is no need for me to get agitated when it seems that every time i see you posting on the forum you are getting agitated about something or arguing with someone ;)

• Upvote 1

Not agitated, although i do find it amusing that you're saying there is no need for me to get agitated when it seems that every time i see you posting on the forum you are getting agitated about something or arguing with someone ;)

You have never seen agitated. Debate on the forums is fun for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So, all these posts yet mine get removed...I'm all for a remove JLP game reboot.

• Upvote 5

Afternoon all! I'm gunna talk generally rather than about specifics brought up in the thread, at first.

The two initial points.

1. The slow down in updates.

2. The time I've spent on WOC / BetMMA.tips, which obviously will piss some people off.

There's a totally understandable desire for constant/frequent updates in the game and whenever there's a drop off, again, it's totally understandable that people get frustrated and / or decide they've had enough and want to leave. A lot of people have played this game for a long time, up to 7 years, which is a seriously long time.... So yeah, without constant updates, obviously some of those people will need a break and feel it's got a bit stale.

Those people are playing maybe a couple of hours a day. In terms of the time I'm personally on the site, it's often as much as 16 hours a day since 2008, 7 days a week... On Sunday this week I had 86 unread emails! :P

Until the last few months, MMA Tycoon has literally been the only website I have worked on for 7 years. Imagine doing just one project for nearly a decade, at whatever job you guys do. Obviously, anyone in that position is going to want / NEED something else to do, to keep their working day fresh, in the same way a lot of managers need a break from the game but then come back.

As you guys know, betmma.tips has been my little break to look at something fresh. I find it really interesting and rewarding and it's nice to look at real world MMA with some interest, for the first time in years. It's also an intellectual challenge picking / betting on fights and actually ending up as the best in the world at it's been pretty sweet and I'm proud of that. I'm sure 90% of people on the game would prefer I spent that time on Tycoon but as I say, it's just not possible to work on one project for this long without going stir crazy.

The one thing I do find a little fustrating is people not getting involved in WOC etc as a consequence of that frustration at the lack of updates. The LESS interest people have in WOC, the MORE time I have to spend on making betmma a success, so it's totally counter productive to ignore it out of belligerence / spite for lack of updates on Tycoon. BetMMA doesn't make any money at all yet. It's probably cost me $3-5000 so far (with $0 returns) and the hardest part is getting the word out about the site. If WOC was churning out really good picks, I wouldn't have to make picks myself / scout anything, so I could spend that time on Tycoon. However, participation in WOC has tailed right off, so I have to personally take up that slack by spending time on promotion and / or making picks myself.

The point of BetMMA is ultimately to make some money but that's a long term thing and in the short to medium term it's just as much of a goal that it brings new managers to MMA Tycoon. Tycoon makes money, BetMMA doesn't. Whenever I've tried to promote BetMMA on forums etc, people have spent just as much time asking about Tycoon and we've had several new managers sign up. When Tycoon started, we had a LOT of free advertising from forum threads about the game. That's absolutely zero now, so BetMMA is meant to provide free advertising for Tycoon, so again, helping it grow (by following on twitter / facebook / posting about it wherever) will help Tycoon grow. We're up to 70 or so unique visitors a day on BetMMA now. When we get that up to 300 or so, that's the equivalent of spending about $50 a day on google ads for Tycoon, all for free. As a frame of reference, Tycoon gets around 1,400 unique visitors a day.

So back to the point... I have no problem with people getting disillusioned and leaving if I spend a bit of time away from Tycoon; I accept that's just part of the process. But I hope people can understand that it's absolutely necessary that I have some sort of break to do other stuff, so I don't go totally mad, and we don't have anyone thinking I'm taking the piss / don't care etc.

In terms of game updates, we'll have Buzz coming out for Beta testing today, hopefully. This has been a ridiculously drawn out process getting Buzz to completion and has probably cost me about $2500, which is nuts but unfortunately my programmer's really struggled with it and it's taken him several months of solidly working on it. If you don't care about buzz, please just keep it to yourself, it doesn't help complaing when updates get finished.

After that there are a couple of bugs with the fight engine that need fixing. I absolutely hate working on the fight engine honestly cos you have to be at 100% concentration or you get these bugs :S

After that I need to sort the training of secondaries for escapes / transitions.

Then I don't think I've got anything in particular to fix after that so I'm free to do whatever.

As for the original post:

In terms of adding primaries, I think there are too many similarities to existing primaries to have karate and judo as primaries. I have always envisioned having them as sort of specialities that people can add on e.g. Judo throws. I don't think there's much that karate offers in terms of an advantage in real life MMA, so that's a tricker one. Striking defense maybe but honestly, I don't think karate's any better for MMA than MT, so I don't see why it should have any advantage.

Fight engine. I am happy to tweak stuff more but it's not long since the last one so let's leave it a little bit to see what people think over a longer time.

I would also like a separate pyhsicals cap so I would happily put that to a vote, as well as sorting the process for bringing people down who are over that cap.

I would also like to fix org income. Tricky but we can do it I'm sure.

Cities and travel - I don't think it's a good idea to reduce the number of cities. I am fine with making travel less energy or something though. I was also planning on letting PAs sort travel on private jets but that would be pretty complicated.

I'm not gunna post a link to this anywhere but if you do have an alliance mate etc that's a bit disillusioned at the moment, please link them to this post so they can see where we / I'm at. Cheers

• Upvote 10

Ahhh the call for a reboot. The last gasp of experienced managers who can't part ways clean.

Positives - A reboot would help the top 1% remain interested in the game and help balance out the domination noobs sometimes receive.

But on the flip side the majority of players are still learning their techniques or building their stacks. They are not bored and are still coming up within the current engine. Still a ceiling to get to.

• Upvote 3

I'm going to be totally honest with you MIke, I was one of the guys that was thinking ' Damn, there he goes again with his betting stuff.' . I never complained about it or anything, but just was wondering why you invested so much time in it lately. After reading your long message ( yes , I read it completely) , I fully understand it. I'll try to do WOC also when I think about it. You have done a brilliant job with the game and you can't please everyone. Thanks for creating this awesome game and working on it. Some people complain about some small stuff from time to time, but honestly, we all still enjoy this game a lot for sure!

Mike : 200_s.gif

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be totally honest with you MIke, I was one of the guys that was thinking ' Damn, there he goes again with his betting stuff.' . I never complained about it or anything, but just was wondering why you invested so much time in it lately. After reading your long message ( yes , I read it completely) , I fully understand it. I'll try to do WOC also when I think about it. You have done a brilliant job with the game and you can't please everyone. Thanks for creating this awesome game and working on it. Some people complain about some small stuff from time to time, but honestly, we all still enjoy this game a lot for sure!

Mike : 200_s.gif

I'm fully aware that's what most people will think. Whether people view it as a necessary evil to have BetMMA, or whether people actually enjoy it, I hope people will ultimately understand it's going to be essential to the long term survival of MMA Tycoon to have a sister site to draw in new users who aren't directly searching for "MMA Management Game". People searching for that specific term on google are a very niche group but Tycoon's appeal SHOULD be much broader than that. I tried asking people to post on forums etc as much as possible but that's never really gone beyond a token effort, so we absolutely have to have BetMMA or another MMA general purpose website, doing some leg work / SEO for Tycoon.

And thanks for the rest of the message, much appreciated. I wasn't posting the initial post looking for praise by any means (it was just an explanation) but it'd be rude of me to ignore it ;)

I have some ideas on how to implement the physicals adjustment. I'm on the phone in the delivery room so I can't do it now. I'll snag the laptop when ivgobhome for a bit and write it up.

Mike, what did you think about physicals learning speed vs the skills learning speed adjustment I recommended? I think that would be a huge bump to the realism level.

Anyone who has been involved in a business and actually paid attention knows while on paper they'll be separate entities, they are not all that separate. Mike sees an opportunity to show the game off to a new group of people who probably never through to play something like this while bringing in additional revenue. When one of the businesses goes red.. the other can prop it up if needed.And that's just financials... doesn't include the cheap (read free) advertising on a sister site.