It is a sad day for America

SteelPenn

The referendum result is up for debate. I don't really doubt that a majority of people would have supported reunification with Russia, the problem is the official numbers.

There is no way 95% of people voted in support if there was 80% turnout. The only way support could be that high is if the vast majority of the opposition boycotted the election (which many claimed to do including the Tatars, I dont know why you think they favored reunification). So either turnout was much lower than reported or the margin was, you choose.

You could be right about the 95%, maybe it should be closer to 75%. I do not doubt that there is shady shit going on, the point is that it was still by far a majority support in Crimea to reunite.

No one will argue that the Crimean referendum was done by international law (i.e. the UN). But there were observers from many different countries, none of which reported problems.

Pull your head out of your ass, a number of organisations said Anschluss was legit at the time too when it plainly wasn't. If you think a legitimate vote can occur during a military occupation you're even more retarded than I thought.

• Downvote 1

Right. No complaints about a violent coup against a democratically elected president by right wing nationalists planned by western governments (the nuland tape confirmed this). But when a part of that country rejects the coup and peacefully votes to not be apart of an unelected puppet government it is illegitimate. Your hypocrisy is hysterical.

No one will argue that the Crimean referendum was done by international law (i.e. the UN). But there were observers from many different countries, none of which reported problems. OSCE was invited to observe the elections, but declined. No one has even attempted to argue that the majority of Crimeans are unhappy to be re-joining russia.

You still don't understand the difference between a spontaneous protest movement and a coup? Your parroting of Russian state media talking points is frankly embarrassing.

• Downvote 1

You still don't understand the difference between a spontaneous protest movement and a coup? Your parroting of Russian state media talking points is frankly embarrassing.

What spontaneous protest movements? The nuland tape proved the whole thing was orchestrated by outside entities. What were the horrible conditions present in the Ukraine that caused the revolt?

My understanding was the president didn't sign a trade deal that would have led them into the eu and instead was intending to make one with the Russians that had better terms. The eu deal required huge reforms and even limited the amount of trade with Russia. There was then a peaceful protest which coincided with hard right nationalists taking over government buildings. Then there were snipers shooting both police and protesters and throwing the whole country into chaos. The nuland tapes clearly show that nothing was spontaneous.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pull your head out of your ass, a number of organisations said Anschluss was legit at the time too when it plainly wasn't. If you think a legitimate vote can occur during a military occupation you're even more retarded than I thought.

The russians have bases all over the crimea that they placed troops at legally. Were they supposed to pull all the troops out and abandon their bases to let the crimeans have their referendum? The crimeans dont want anything to do with a nationalist ukraine government, one of their first actions was to remove russian as an official language. Guess who speaks russian?

The whole point of my initial statement was that the west picks and chooses which elections/governments they feel are legit to suit their needs. No one can argue that. Your half ass hot takes on a subject followed up by an insult always do give me a laugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The russians have bases all over the crimea that they placed troops at legally. Were they supposed to pull all the troops out and abandon their bases to let the crimeans have their referendum? The crimeans dont want anything to do with a nationalist ukraine government, one of their first actions was to remove russian as an official language. Guess who speaks russian?

The whole point of my initial statement was that the west picks and chooses which elections/governments they feel are legit to suit their needs. No one can argue that. Your half ass hot takes on a subject followed up by an insult always do give me a laugh.

Your understanding of Russian Ukrainian situation is as bad or worse than your fight picks.

• Upvote 2

What spontaneous protest movements? The nuland tape proved the whole thing was orchestrated by outside entities. What were the horrible conditions present in the Ukraine that caused the revolt?

My understanding was the president didn't sign a trade deal that would have led them into the eu and instead was intending to make one with the Russians that had better terms. The eu deal required huge reforms and even limited the amount of trade with Russia. There was then a peaceful protest which coincided with hard right nationalists taking over government buildings. Then there were snipers shooting both police and protesters and throwing the whole country into chaos. The nuland tapes clearly show that nothing was spontaneous.

Where in the Nuland tapes does it show that? That seems like a fairly routine call between an ambassador and an assistant secretary of state.

I'll take that as praise as I have a first and two second place finishes in the pick em league and I won a pretty good amount of the one off pick em contests.

Yeah in a competition of 3 managers. Well its actually 2 because Wolf was banned. So I would say you lost 2 times of out 3.

Where in the Nuland tapes does it show that? That seems like a fairly routine call between an ambassador and an assistant secretary of state.

The most obvious was their dislike for Klitschko running for president even though he was the most likely candidate early on. Klitschko did withdraw and back the eventual winner, who is the guy nuland favors. I'm on my phone, so I can't cut and paste, but the conversation is dictating exactly how the new government is formed and implies a great deal of control.
  • Downvote 1

Right. No complaints about a violent coup against a democratically elected president by right wing nationalists planned by western governments (the nuland tape confirmed this). But when a part of that country rejects the coup and peacefully votes to not be apart of an unelected puppet government it is illegitimate. Your hypocrisy is hysterical.

No one will argue that the Crimean referendum was done by international law (i.e. the UN). But there were observers from many different countries, none of which reported problems. OSCE was invited to observe the elections, but declined. No one has even attempted to argue that the majority of Crimeans are unhappy to be re-joining russia.

Double standards mate.

Also Erik is in no position to talk, he come from a country where they voted a thing called Tony Abbott.

• Downvote 1

And so what, does it make the Aussie unpolite spoiled generation any different, just beacuse Italians had Berlusconi.

Obviously not, but it's pretty rich to tell people their opinions ain't worth anything due to their country's head of state when you yourself live in a country where someone who's essentially a cartoon villain was president for like 12 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1