Whos the goat of mma

ezez12

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, scottxbandz said:

GSP

I think DJ was superior to GSP (and Silva, JJ, Usman, etc) in every facet outside of star power. I can't even give GSP the nod on fight IQ. I'll say GSP had a pretty good job and was pretty good at using his range.

but imho the GOAT streak is DJ. His level of competition was in its prime, more technically sound, and overall just higher level mixed martial artist than GSP and JJ's opponents.

I don't think he got a lot of "freebies" (as champ). tbf Usman hasn't been given any freebies (as champ, I count maia 42 y/o ass lol) yet either unless you count Masdival 1 or 2. 

4 hours ago, Rambo said:

I think DJ was superior to GSP (and Silva, JJ, Usman, etc) in every facet outside of star power. I can't even give GSP the nod on fight IQ. I'll say GSP had a pretty good job and was pretty good at using his range.

but imho the GOAT streak is DJ. His level of competition was in its prime, more technically sound, and overall just higher level mixed martial artist than GSP and JJ's opponents.

I don't think he got a lot of "freebies" (as champ). tbf Usman hasn't been given any freebies (as champ, I count maia 42 y/o ass lol) yet either unless you count Masdival 1 or 2. 

This sounds like an obvious case of Dwarf Biasness. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 10:46 AM, The1rstSaint said:

This sounds like an obvious case of Dwarf Biasness. 

Na, just from a technical standpoint he's probably the most talented of the 3 and his competition was probably more adequate or well balanced. GSP fought dudes who could wrestle and couldn't box or kick for shit (Fitch/Sherk) or guys like Condit, Dan Hardy, and Diaz who don't know how to spell takedown defense.

Imho GSP never fought a Colby/Usman/Cejudo 2/Benevidez.

Most complete MMA fighters GSP ever fought were Thiago Alvez, BJ Penn, and dare I say Michael Bisping?

Jon Jones made a career beating up fighters well past their age drop off and those who he had a significant size advantage on and possible supplement advantage. Jones vs Gus 1 and Jones vs Cruz/Santos... what happens when he faces people with size that can strike that have a little bit of athleticism?

if you're asking me the GOAT MMA fighter, off top of my head, from technical skill point and legacy perspective, imo I lean towards DJ. There's a bunch of high level guys who just haven't put together the legacy he did.

4 hours ago, Rambo said:

Na, just from a technical standpoint he's probably the most talented of the 3 and his competition was probably more adequate or well balanced. GSP fought dudes who could wrestle and couldn't box or kick for shit (Fitch/Sherk) or guys like Condit, Dan Hardy, and Diaz who don't know how to spell takedown defense.

Imho GSP never fought a Colby/Usman/Cejudo 2/Benevidez.

Most complete MMA fighters GSP ever fought were Thiago Alvez, BJ Penn, and dare I say Michael Bisping?

Jon Jones made a career beating up fighters well past their age drop off and those who he had a significant size advantage on and possible supplement advantage. Jones vs Gus 1 and Jones vs Cruz/Santos... what happens when he faces people with size that can strike that have a little bit of athleticism?

if you're asking me the GOAT MMA fighter, off top of my head, from technical skill point and legacy perspective, imo I lean towards DJ. There's a bunch of high level guys who just haven't put together the legacy he did.

Fair enough. I still to this day say Anderson Silva is the GOAT. Sure he had a rough end to his career but more props to him for fighting on, unlike Khabib and GSP who quit while they where on top. 

4 hours ago, The1rstSaint said:

Fair enough. I still to this day say Anderson Silva is the GOAT. Sure he had a rough end to his career but more props to him for fighting on, unlike Khabib and GSP who quit while they where on top. 

Silva's streak has holes in it like JJ's. Classic UFC superstar, face of the org, cater to making you a human highlight reel treatment. Ala Conor. Nate. O'Malley. Many others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 1:41 PM, Rambo said:

Just the fact that he competed in the weakest division (and less prestigious one), basically excludes DJ in many people's eyes. I do agree that if we are comparing purely skills, then, he is probably the best. Speed, wrestling, submissions and a good standup game. His streak was also impressive (against usually weak level opposition). I would say he is a top 5.