The A,B and C's of Org owning

ArtieBanks

Disclaimer - this is about 50% fact and 50% opinion - different people have different ways of owning an org and remember that often the best orgs are the most original. 

I'll start off with this - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bfdbzhL_ADbZcaFsl-3Z1w4ITZ8PVE51w5IdLQ2MLZk/edit?usp=sharing

That is the old blitz event predictor - it worked almost near flawlessly for years. I don't know if it will allow you to grab a copy of it but with Tycoon Tools being down it will for sure help you. You need the Greasemonkey scripts - There is a link to them somewhere on the forums. There is one for PPVs but because of the ads buff etc i've not bothered putting it in - i'll get to PPVs later on. 

If this does not let you grab a copy of it then let me know and i'll get you your own copy of it.

First of all once you have the scripts in place you want to find out the average hype/pop of each fighter on the card. It is relatively simple just take the hype+pop and add them together. In the main event slot for example you would put in the number of fighter #1 in D19 on the card then fighter #2 in D20. The fight average will appear in column E19 for the main event. You do this so on and so forth down the card. 

That is the long part taken care. Next up you input the arena capacity into D4, org hype into E4 and your DR into K4. This allows you to then see the ticket sales etc and the amount of ads you should run in I4. The seating estimate in L4. You can put in the fighter pay etc into the G and I columns if you want a fairly accurate description on what the profit will be but that is up to you. Most of the time we used it for ads. 

The Basics

Owning an org is time consuming and at times a major headache. It is quite the committal if you are ever thinking of doing it and it is always a lot easier buying an org or helping run an org just to get to grips with the basics. I personally started off writing for orgs which turned into me owning a small org for experience before running Ascension. Most org owners are usually grateful for any help they can get and it allows you to build connections which is the most important thing about running an org. 

The first question is usually how much does it cost to start an org. Most people now a days start off as ID orgs as it is easily the best way of learning how to run an org. I've most recently had 10k-5k-5k as a starter contract which is a good baseline for a five fight contract for a brand new start. Ideally you want to have between 80-100 fighters between LW and HW - usually around 20 fighters per division. It allows you to run at least a weekly event and most ID org fighters want time to train between fights. You can ramp it up the more fighters you get by adding in events but never go over two events per week because 'DR' will kick in - i'll explain that later. Given the 10k signing bonus per fighter - ideally you are looking at 1.5-2m to start running your own org. 

So you have successfully got a roster and now it is time to build up for your first event. The screen looks like a jumble sale to start with but it is fairly simple. You want to start off in the 1K arenas. You will have to give away some free tickets but by the end you will be selling them out at premium. I'll break down the different costs. 

Production - this is quite possibly the easiest calculation to do - everyone has their different philosophies on it but I never ran more than $3 a seat - most of the time I ran $2 per seat. So to explain - if you are running the 1,000 seat arena then you put in $2,000 into production or $3,000. 

Advertisements - Always use the spreadsheet for this as it can vary from event to event.

Ticket Prices - you will always want to sell your tickets at premium - don't ask me why it has just always been that way and I never bothered to ask. 

Free Tickets - the spreadsheet will calculate how many free tickets to give out to ensure as close to a full house as possible. 

This should see you make a steady stream of profit - which will always be small at the start but it does build up over time.

Using this basic format will allow you to grow an ID org and be relatively successful. 

Lets discuss what sort of event ratings you should be looking at - I am going to use Sucker Punch Pro Series as the example here. 

Your first few events won't really equate to shit ratings wise barely cracking the 100 mark. It won't really be until twenty to thirty events in where you start to see the jump closer to the 200's. This is what i'd call the lower end of the game ratings wise. Once you start to break into the 300's consistently is when i'd say you are jumping into the mid tier part. 

The Mid Level 

So you have mastered the basics and now it is time to start expanding and dominating your ID range. This can be relatively cut-throat and if you are short on money or struggling then the best advice I can give you at this stage is to sell your org - make a nice profit on the org and maybe return again.

You are usually at this stage looking at perhaps one more ID org in your way - if you are lucky then there is two. Hopefully you have gotten yourself the cream of the crop and if you haven't then you should start considering approaching them and asking if they would like a switch. Most ID orgs biggest problem is becoming stale with fighting the same people over and over again. Most people want to fight new guys and usually they will consider your offer and perhaps not re-up when the time comes with the other org. 

Alternatively you can try and buy out the other org. Most org owners get burnt out and usually by this stage if you aren't burnt out then you should consider approaching the other org owner about a merger. Some times it is actually good to merge the orgs and split the profits between you. It takes some of the burden off of you and usually leads to becoming good friends with the other guy. This is probably the preferred approach because if the first option goes wrong you can find yourself with a thread saying 'this guy is a poacher'. 

The mid level often is similar to the smaller level in terms of actual events - you will have moved into the 3k-7k arenas by now and doing very well for yourself. I know it is quite difficult but at this stage do NOT hold a PPV. You will lose your ass. 

Ratings wise - this really varies - once you get 50 or so events in, you will start to see yourself into the 300's. The transition into PPV orgs has less to do with event ratings and more to do with fighters. I'll explain this part in the next part. 

The End Game 

So you are at the stage where the fighters are starting to become some of the highest hype/popped fighters in tycoon. You know that money is becoming tighter and tighter and it is time for the transition into money printer status aka PPV org. 

The biggest myth in tycoon is that it is best to go with a 1HR PPV first - it isn't. This is swimming in the deep end.

You go straight for the big arena (93k) and the 3HR ppv. 

The Cameras and Commentary you always set as max. 

You want to funnel in around 1m-1.5m in advertisements - this helps with the org rating and boosts the PPV hype (this is a hidden thing confirmed by Mike previously)

You do this in a burst of three events - spaced out one week apart at first. 

You should put in your best three fights available in the first card - the rest of the order should just be as normal - do not under any circumstances stack the card top to bottom. 

The second card should include your next best three fights - again the rest of the order should just be as normal 

You can probably guess what I am going to say for the third one - the exact same again. 

At this point you should be spitting out cash - the first event is always a loss but you re-coup it in the second event and by the third event you are quite a bit in the profit. 

This is just my opinion on it - it isn't a fact. I have always seen the way org events work as 1% of the event prior to the previous event, 33% the previous event and 66% the current event. This is why you profit so much off the second event after a big event. 

You can just continue doing this - if you have to run two events per week then i'd just continue doing it in similar fashion. It doesn't change other than the DR. 

Ratings - event ratings when setting up to become a PPV org does not matter as much as fighters do. The one biggest mistake a lot of org owners make is valuing hype and p4p status over pop - they are both equally valuable. Herb who is ranked as the #2 P4P fighter in the game is worth less than Sean

You ideally want a 400-500 hype/pop main event or as close to this as humanly possible. A couple of 300 hype/pop guys in the co main and 3rd fight and after that you can use the the usual 200 hype/pop guys. Now you need at least 6 fighters with the average hype/pop rating of 400 before you go into the PPV world. This is becoming more and more difficult now but it was at the time the minimum. 

Time for the don'ts and why you don't do it. 

DR - Diminishing returns this depends on the day of the week you run the event and how many events you run. There is a thread somewhere that explains this in detail but the biggest take away is do not run any more than two events per week or you start losing a lot of money because the DR will be close to .5 which is a death nail. 

Most of the hype etc from your card is the top three fights - the rest of the card doesn't really factor into the profits of the event. It is why it is unwise to stack the deck on the card unless it is a special event (Syn Supernova for example). 

You do not want to piss people off - it is the biggest sin that most org owners make and it kills their rep. A bad name in this game will follow you about like a bad smell. If someone rejects a fight offer as much as it annoys you try to placate the manager in their request. Org owning is like having a Harem of women who like to have a good bitch if you don't show them some love or attention. 

Previews and Reviews - Do not for all that is good and holy do this yourself. Shit, I wouldn't even do them period. A much better use of your time if you do want to write is do an org rankings every month so fighters can see their rank and who they need to beat. I guarantee you it will be read more than any preview/review you do with a lot less work. If you are running a big event then yes do it - create some hype on the forums about the event. It is that sort of stuff that gets you noticed. 

Communication is key - you need to take time to get to know some of the guys in the game because they will be the ones supplying you with fighters. If you show yourself to be a decent enough person then you will more than likely get more business. This is the one area of tycoon which mimics the real world - it isn't what you know, it is who you know that often makes you successful at the top levels. 

I have blabbered on enough now - if you have any questions then shoot me a PM or you can ask in here. 

I should probably end it with this and it is a very big cliche - there is no such thing a stupid question when it comes to org owning and asking experienced org owners on tips is always the best way of learning. 

• Upvote 18

• 5 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, ArtieBanks said:

Disclaimer - this is about 50% fact and 50% opinion - different people have different ways of owning an org and remember that often the best orgs are the most original. 

I'll start off with this - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bfdbzhL_ADbZcaFsl-3Z1w4ITZ8PVE51w5IdLQ2MLZk/edit?usp=sharing

That is the old blitz event predictor - it worked almost near flawlessly for years. I don't know if it will allow you to grab a copy of it but with Tycoon Tools being down it will for sure help you. You need the Greasemonkey scripts - There is a link to them somewhere on the forums. There is one for PPVs but because of the ads buff etc i've not bothered putting it in - i'll get to PPVs later on. 

If this does not let you grab a copy of it then let me know and i'll get you your own copy of it. 

Anyone able to help me understand how to use this template?