Should we have Weight Class Fighter of the Year Awards?

saklain

3 hours ago, Rambo said:

Designer of the Year is a participation award. It's 100% subjective.

We definitely had W/C of the Year awards in 2013. LT won numerous.

Since we already have a boatload of trophies, I say we keep weight class awards.

Doesn't make sense to get rid of them when they're some of the most voted on awards we have and a nearly 10 year tradition.

All the awards are subjective there is no real set in stone criteria that we base them off. Outside of recency bias there isn't really anything to pick up on that people pin as to why a person wins the award. Some people like undefeated fighters, some people like fighters who fight a lot and some people just vote for whoever is top at the end of the year. Some people just vote for their friends or will not vote for people they do not like. 

Designer of the year is already 3 awards wrapped into one - Avatar of the year (previously skin of the year), Event poster of the year and designer of the year. If anything it is the one award in the game that takes 100% skill to win. 

That isn't to say we ditch the weight classes - I don't mind either way. 

I know what you're saying, that's obvious.

But there's a very big difference between purely subjective awards verse merit-based awards. Manager of the Year and Fighter of the Year are pre-dominantly merit based. You don't often get those noms based off a popularity contest.

Mohammed Kahn had an excellent year and isn't going to be nominated for FOTY (nor should he be).

Willie Diggs is @Alfred's favorite fighter and one of the most popular in the game for his sheer AWC brilliance, but he isn't going to get nominated either.

Alas Kilo, Rod, Joe, Finlayson will all likely receive a nom for FOTY. These noms are mostly merit based. The winner will likely be mostly merit based. Doesn't mean every vote that comes in will be merit based, but I know you know what I mean without playing devil's advocate on me.

There are levels to the avatar/design game also - it is very much merit based on how good your design is. 

It isn't devil's advocate. Every award is merit based on someones subjective criteria. Granted in designing the criteria can differ more on person to person based on their personal tastes compared to that of manager of the year or fighter of the year which outside of a few outsiders (Creed vs Otso springs to mind in the subjective/popularity vote) is often very much cut and dry. It is often who loses the least wins those awards. 

I said it before designers add a lot to a game which is sorely lacking in creativity now a days. It isn't just some throwaway participation trophy for those who win it and put their time and effort into making the posters, avatars etc. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ArtieBanks said:

There are levels to the avatar/design game also - it is very much merit based on how good your design is. 

It isn't devil's advocate. Every award is merit based on someones subjective criteria. Granted in designing the criteria can differ more on person to person based on their personal tastes compared to that of manager of the year or fighter of the year which outside of a few outsiders (Creed vs Otso springs to mind in the subjective/popularity vote) is often very much cut and dry. It is often who loses the least wins those awards. 

I said it before designers add a lot to a game which is sorely lacking in creativity now a days. It isn't just some throwaway participation trophy for those who win it and put their time and effort into making the posters, avatars etc. 

There are numerous designers who print so much work choosing 1 over the other is just a slap in the face.

and if you can't see the difference between FOTY merit, p4p rankings, w/c trophies, hype, literal in-game measurements of success verse something like graphic maker or poster designer.. aka art...

god bless the scots

19 minutes ago, Rambo said:

The King has decided to boot kstacks off his totem poll so we can run weight class awards this year.

for some reason he thinks he is the king of the awards like blaze last year. hence I vote to evict him from the position immediately. nobody elected kstacks council keeper of awards.

weight class awards ftw

I didnt decide I was king of anything. I was set to run the thread along with TJ who would oversee the voting.

Read through the first page, pretty clear nobody cares for or wanted the weight class awards. You didnt even want them but now all of a sudden you do and I have no idea why. But you deciding you want something doesn't just mean we now are gonna go and add it back it. Its not needed and never was. Its over bloating the awards and with it we go back to 20+ awards for no reason.

Every area is covered in the 15 awards. No need for more or less. 

You are advocating for weight class awards while pushing for the removal of KT fighter of the year, grappler of the year and designer of the year which now all those categories get 0 awards while MMA fighters have 9? 1 for each wright plus one for overall? Thats stupid and unnecessary.

Kilo is the committee.

On 10/30/2022 at 2:37 AM, bazzypants said:

I'd get rid of:

KO of the year (just flavour text, who cares)

Sub of the year (got grappler of the year, let's just assume he's had the best sub)

CEO of the Year (got tournament of the year, got org of the year, don't need a combination of the two. Makes this pointless)

Comeback manager (stick with the game and aim for manager of the year)

Most improved manager (keep improving and get manager of the year)

In the maybe pile:

New manager (rookie of the year, not bad, that's if we actually have any new people playing this game?)

Weight class fighter of the year (actually don't mind the best fighter in each weight class, but if we want to slim these bloated awards down then cut away, I guess).

Yes Billy, I agree with everything you stated.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:43 AM, ArtieBanks said:

I rarely agree with CK but this list makes more sense. A lot of other categories you can fit into the criteria for one of them. 

I'd add in designer of the year to cover posters, avatars etc. Yes they gain in-game money for free VIP but they also deserve the tip of the cap for adding creativity to the game. 

I'd keep the weight class trophies for the simple fact that midgets never get the love they deserve. Typically the fighter of the year trophy always goes to the most hyped fighter and that hype is always held in either the 265 or 205 divisions - I mean during the nominations previously no one mentioned Chamuaknoi, De Minaur or Detkhunjon despite all of them only carrying one or two losses the full year so far. 

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? say it aint so!!!!

For what it's worth, I feel like if we've decided to keep the majority of the awards (which it appears we have), why wouldn't we also keep the weight class awards? I'm all for eliminating almost everything, as I've stated before, but I don't understand why we'd keep awards for things like ID restricted fighter of the year, but then get rid of the weight class awards. If we don't get rid of all of them and just keep a Fighter of the Year award, why not just keep them all?

15 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Weight class awards are happening. You can accept it or step aside. We've had them since 2013. or make a legit poll, and the votes dictate the results. that's how democratic societies and communities typically work. voting process.

unless we stick to the committee, and Kilo is the committee.

And you keep making it sound like there was some unanimous community decision. I didn't see that at all. So either...

A - you're lying
B - you're delusional and/or just saying what you want to believe
C - reading comprehension issues
D - All the above?

Yes Billy, I agree with everything you stated.

Soyster agreed with Karter... so I'm the ONLY ONE who disagrees with this idea you've put forth?

why we wasting each other's time stacks? lol

I don't see a unanimous agreement with YOUR DECISION anywhere in Alfed's statement...

Still not agreeing with what you said, but yet, everybody agrees but me? hmmmm... your comment looking really suspect right now lol

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? say it aint so!!!!

I scrolled through all 3 pages. Tell me stacks, where the hell did you come up with your consensus? you're like a damn democrat tallying up those votes on this "consensus". in fact idk if I seen more than 1 person agree with the list you put forward lol

On 11/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, soyster89 said:

It's a better list, but I'd still vote to eliminate anything restricted ID related. If the restricted ID orgs want to give awards, that's one thing, but the overall Tycoon world shouldn't. It's like giving Academy Awards to high school theater clubs.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:51 PM, ArtieBanks said:

I think it is more we created an amateur level of the game with ID orgs without it being official. I mean even back ten years ago now we had that sort of rookie of the year award with the U25 category (I think you actually won that one if I am not mistaken). That has kind of been replaced with giving the orgs some love other than fighters. I'd agree though that the U25 fighter of the year was kinda like the rookie of the year award and it was kinda cool at the time to see all the prospects throwing their hat into the ring and seeing where they ended up in a years time. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:43 PM, soyster89 said:

Yeah, that's a fair point.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:31 PM, teyoken said:

Getting rid of KO of the year and Sub of the year would be a terrible idea. That flavor text defines the finish of a fight, and could be major. lol

On 10/30/2022 at 7:33 PM, Mentor said:

I like the original list, i do not see the problem with more awards, it is not like we are paying people if we add an extra one. Obviously some awards have much more weight than others. Maybe having Gold awards for the key 3 awards (Org, Manager, Fighter). Technically speaking those are the only 3 serious awards.  

So soyster actually liked my list only thing he didnt like was the restricted awards then ended up coming around to it. 

Anyway not fighting about this further cause you're being real weird about some shit you said you didnt care if it was gone. 

I'll put a poll up. This is such a dumb thing to fight for.

we've had weight classes awards since 2013 and they're some of the most voted on categories. so idk. seems senseless to scrap them imo. unless there is a unanimous voting process by the community and it isn't a split decision, I can't get behind just going off a whim and tossing them. the community gotta vote imo.

2 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

I'll put a poll up. This is such a dumb thing to fight for.

That so much to ask for? Shame they didn't take a vote before they started toppling all the Christopher Columbus and Robert E. Lee statues.

Democracy votes. Facists destroy and disregard history.

1 minute ago, soyster89 said:

For what it's worth, I feel like if we've decided to keep the majority of the awards (which it appears we have), why wouldn't we also keep the weight class awards? I'm all for eliminating almost everything, as I've stated before, but I don't understand why we'd keep awards for things like ID restricted fighter of the year, but then get rid of the weight class awards. If we don't get rid of all of them and just keep a Fighter of the Year award, why not just keep them all?

we had 28 awards I narrowed it down to 15. Every category is covered, why do we need weight class awards. Again restricted fighter like a rookie of the year award. Idc get rid of it let's go down to 13 and no restricted awards. Fuck it let's just do no awards at all at this point.

5 minutes ago, Rambo said:

we've had weight classes awards since 2013 and they're some of the most voted on categories. so idk. seems senseless to scrap them imo. unless there is a unanimous voting process by the community and it isn't a split decision, I can't get behind just going off a whim and tossing them. the community gotta vote imo.

That so much to ask for? Shame they didn't take a vote before they started toppling all the Christopher Columbus and Robert E. Lee statues.

Democracy votes. Facists destroy and disregard history.

You seem awfully active for someone whose supposed to be on vaction, catching all types of STDs from brown-skinned chicks with oversized clits...

1 minute ago, Icon73 said:

So soyster actually liked my list only thing he didnt like was the restricted awards then ended up coming around to it. 

I didn't come around to anything. I merely resigned that it was pointless to argue my point any further. I still feel having anything ID restricted is awful. What's next, different levels of ID restriction? 

The reason I feel we should keep weight class awards is that we're keeping WAY more than I'd ever want to keep anyways. If we can have ID restricted awards for fighters, orgs, etc then why not have weight classes too. 

6 minutes ago, soyster89 said:

I didn't come around to anything. I merely resigned that it was pointless to argue my point any further. I still feel having anything ID restricted is awful. What's next, different levels of ID restriction? 

The reason I feel we should keep weight class awards is that we're keeping WAY more than I'd ever want to keep anyways. If we can have ID restricted awards for fighters, orgs, etc then why not have weight classes too. 

Way more awards?

Fighter of the Year - best Overall fighter of the year

Restricted Fighter of the Year - Best ID of age restricted fighter of the year

Manager of the year - best manager of the year

Alliance of the year - The best alliance of the year

Org of the year - best overall org of the year

Restricted org of the year - Best ID or age restricted org

KT Fighter of the Year - Best KT fighter of the year

Grappler of the year - Best Grappler of the year

Writer of the year - Best Writer of the year

Company of the year - Best clothing or nutrition company of the year

Designer of the year - Best Designer of Avatars, Posters and clothing of the year

Fight of the Year - Best fight of the year

KO of the year - Best KO of the year

Sub of the year - Best submission of the year

Upset of the year - Biggest upset of the year

Please tell me all the ones we should dump.

The whole point of ID awards is the same reasons IRL you have rookie of the year or the All rookie teams or in fight sports you have prospect of the year. I don't care whether we have it or don't but to act as if there no precedent for it is kind of disingenuous. 

There's a big difference between having

Fighter of the year and ID fighter of the year

To

Fighter of the year and 8 additional fighter of the years for each weight class

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

we had 28 awards I narrowed it down to 15. Every category is covered, why do we need weight class awards. Again restricted fighter like a rookie of the year award. Idc get rid of it let's go down to 13 and no restricted awards. Fuck it let's just do no awards at all at this point.

Who died and made you Jesus?

4 hours ago, j666 said:

not sure why getting rid of any award is necessary. it's words on a screen that take up very little space in the grand scheme. don't like it...don't read it. simple.

not to mention, easily half of this game doesn't give a flying fuck about the awards anyway.

We're hoping to change that. Less awards make then more important and more people will participate as its less work.

Also its half as many awards so half as much work for the organizers who get nothing out of these awards every year but put in work to make sure they run smoothly. Also we should not have so many awards that people need to scroll to the second page of the forum for nominations. The second a nomination thread touches page two it turns to persona non grada. Thats bad. We currently have way too many awards. Why do we need 30?

And what's exactly wrong with change? If people don't care either way why create more work and keep them? If some don't wajt them and other don't care (which really seemed to be the case just a month or two ago) why all of sudden is it now a problem.

4 hours ago, j666 said:

not sure why getting rid of any award is necessary. it's words on a screen that take up very little space in the grand scheme. don't like it...don't read it. simple.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Don't see the issue in having lots of awards. Some mean more than others overall but some mean more to individuals than others also

17 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

We're hoping to change that. Less awards make then more important and more people will participate as its less work.

Also its half as many awards so half as much work for the organizers who get nothing out of these awards every year but put in work to make sure they run smoothly.

It's not going to change anything. You can see what you're dealing with already on CK's vote. 10 people so far. 10 lol. 

The only point I will concede is that you are correct in that some mug has to do all of this and the more awards there are the more work it is. Seeing as I'm not willing to run the awards myself, I can't really argue about the number.

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

This is exactly how I feel about it. Don't see the issue in having lots of awards. Some mean more than others overall but some mean more to individuals than others also

It's not going to change anything. You can see what you're dealing with already on CK's vote. 10 people so far. 10 lol. 

The only point I will concede is that you are correct in that some mug has to do all of this and the more awards there are the more work it is. Seeing as I'm not willing to run the awards myself, I can't really argue about the number.

I'm supposed to be that mug who has to run it.

I definitely think while it won't make a huge difference you can't argue that people are not gonna arsed with going next page to find awards to vote or nominate and it showed last year that when stuff made it to page 2 people would ask where the thread was or just forget it all together. 

Less awards will surely bring participation up at least somewhat. Many did complain last year that there was too many to bother with.

1 hour ago, Icon73 said:

I'm supposed to be that mug who has to run it.

I definitely think while it won't make a huge difference you can't argue that people are not gonna arsed with going next page to find awards to vote or nominate and it showed last year that when stuff made it to page 2 people would ask where the thread was or just forget it all together. 

Less awards will surely bring participation up at least somewhat. Many did complain last year that there was too many to bother with.

I can definitely argue it as I would myself go on to page 2 and vote on any awards that I felt inclined to. How freaking lazy do you have to be where clicking a link to another page is a major issue in a text based browser game? 

Also not sure who who you're referring to when you talk about the many complainers from last year as last years (and the year before) awards were done by committee. 

Last point, as badly as Blaze was potentially about to run things (starting nomination at the start of October, nominations in the nominations thread counting as actual votes) he was willing to run ALL the awards that we usually have. Perhaps he, or someone else entirely, should be given the option again of doing so if 20+ awards is too much for yourself? That's not meant to be a dig by the way if that's how it comes across. Like I say, I'm not willing to do it myself. Just seems silly to cut the awards down because of the time and effort it would take without seeing if someone else would be willing to do it first?

I totally agree with @Icon73that less is more. We should have a limited number of awards that give those of us who care and enjoy the competition something to strive for. My whole soapbox (that I must be in the minority on) is that I feel winning a restricted ID anything is like getting a participation trophy. You're not fighter/org of the year quality, but you're deserving of an award for this "not as good group". ID restricted Org of the year? What a joke. An org isn't limited by skill like a fighter is, so orgs are orgs. A brand new org could put forth effort, have awesome write-ups, market their talent, create a ownership group to expand their bankroll, etc and be Org of the Year. Winning org of the year doesn't automatically have to go to the existing orgs who sign the highest skilled fighters and put on the biggest shows.

And where does it end? Should we introduce an 18 yr old fighter of the year award since ID restriction orgs are pretty heavily dominated by 25 yr old builds?

If we want to keep things like ID restricted org and fighter of the year, KO and Sub of the year (pointless awards), KT and Grappler of the year (again, we have fighter of the year that can be a KT fighter, grappler, etc), then we should add weight class fighters of the year. Either go minimal, or give everyone what they want.

This is my recommended list (minimal):

Designer of the year - Best Designer of Avatars, Posters and clothing of the year

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, soyster89 said:

I totally agree with @Icon73that less is more. We should have a limited number of awards that give those of us who care and enjoy the competition something to strive for. My whole soapbox (that I must be in the minority on) is that I feel winning a restricted ID anything is like getting a participation trophy. You're not fighter/org of the year quality, but you're deserving of an award for this "not as good group". ID restricted Org of the year? What a joke. An org isn't limited by skill like a fighter is, so orgs are orgs. A brand new org could put forth effort, have awesome write-ups, market their talent, create a ownership group to expand their bankroll, etc and be Org of the Year. Winning org of the year doesn't automatically have to go to the existing orgs who sign the highest skilled fighters and put on the biggest shows.

And where does it end? Should we introduce an 18 yr old fighter of the year award since ID restriction orgs are pretty heavily dominated by 25 yr old builds?

If we want to keep things like ID restricted org and fighter of the year, KO and Sub of the year (pointless awards), KT and Grappler of the year (again, we have fighter of the year that can be a KT fighter, grappler, etc), then we should add weight class fighters of the year. Either go minimal, or give everyone what they want.

This is my recommended list (minimal):

KT and grappling are completely different sports but I can agree on the ID ones being removed idc either way on that.

I don't think adding KT and Grappling to fighter of the year makes sense. Its quite literally a different engine, different rankings, different sport all together. Thats like saying boxing nd MMA fighters should be up for the same awards IRL.