Josh Culibao vs Melsik Baghdasaryan

Shannon Ross vs Kleydson Rodrigues

Jamie Mullarkey  vs Francisco Prado

UFC Fight Pass Early Prelims 6PM EST

Jack Jenkins vs Don Shainis

Loma Lookboonmee vs Elise Reed

Shane Young vs Blake Bilder

Zubaira Tukhugov vs Elves Brener

Got to say, i was expecting Islam to totally dominate, i was wrong. Volkanovski showed a really good defensive game on the ground and was also capable of defending the takedown and get up. I also think that as the fight went on, Islam showed he was mentally weaker. Volk's most certainly had more fight in him and even though he did lose, if you was to put a bet on who was more likely to win via a finish it would be him. I am not sure Islam would want to do a rematch and most likely a rematch wont be on the table for a while, Volk's will need to defend his belt at least once before that happens. I also think this is not the best division for Volkanovski, he was seriously undersized in this fight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mentor said:

I also think this is not the best division for Volkanovski, he was seriously undersized in this fight. 

While he is short for the division he actually had a little reach advantage on Islam and I don't think he suffered due to any height discrepancy, he simply underestimated how good Islam's striking actually is - easily done when previously no-one else has been able to keep things on the feet for long enough to see much of it.

I'm high on Topuria, but I agree with Skuz, Volk is very good. Ilia will have to show more than just power to beat Volk.

Volk's also got that nuggety durable head. His face shows damage and he gets tagged, but he's shown he's actually pretty durable. Also like it's been mentioned, Volk's reach is sneaky long and I suspect that's hard to emulate in sparring. Not many muscle nuggets with long gorilla arms around.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Volk and Ilia have about the same reach.

I could see Ilia gassing and getting picked apart by Volkswagen, but judging from the people who've dropped Volk, I think Ilia can chin check him and pound him out or tap him.

If Islam couldn't tap him I doubt Ilia can, Ilia's best chance is a KO I reckon, he has the power if he can land the shot, which his high level of aggression might open up for him, but it might get him caught too cuz Volk can play sniper counters pretty well. High risk both directions, would be a fun fight.

I think when Yair fights volk it’ll give a decent idea of how Topuria might do. Yair has the same reach advantage as Volk and is super aggressive too. Although topuria would get the nod for KO power. Volk’s ground and pound and top game is top notch though. After what he did to Islam I’m not sure any FW could do much to stop him.

21 hours ago, Mentor said:

Got to say, i was expecting Islam to totally dominate, i was wrong. Volkanovski showed a really good defensive game on the ground and was also capable of defending the takedown and get up. I also think that as the fight went on, Islam showed he was mentally weaker. Volk's most certainly had more fight in him and even though he did lose, if you was to put a bet on who was more likely to win via a finish it would be him. I am not sure Islam would want to do a rematch and most likely a rematch wont be on the table for a while, Volk's will need to defend his belt at least once before that happens. I also think this is not the best division for Volkanovski, he was seriously undersized in this fight. 

I’m not sure Islam wants that smoke either. Tbh I think Volk has much more room for improvement in a rematch where as we might’ve seen best case scenario for Islam. If Islam can get some contenders at 155 that push him to 5 rounds it’ll go a long way for the rematch. But I’m not sure who would give him that. Personally I’d say Dariush could do it. The rest of the division I’m not too confident about. Maybe fiziev, he’s looked good

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jacman said:

I’m not sure Islam wants that smoke either. Tbh I think Volk has much more room for improvement in a rematch where as we might’ve seen best case scenario for Islam. If Islam can get some contenders at 155 that push him to 5 rounds it’ll go a long way for the rematch. But I’m not sure who would give him that. Personally I’d say Dariush could do it. The rest of the division I’m not too confident about. Maybe fiziev, he’s looked good

To me, it seemed towards the end that Islam stopped believing he could really beat Volk, so he was hanging onto the decision. I also agree that in a rematch, Volk most likely has the most chance to improve and make adjustments or at least he has the biggest potential to make adjustments. I mean what can Islam actually do in a rematch to improve? His strongest part (Grappling) wont suddenly get better, Volk already saw the best he can give, at most he can maybe hold position longer, but i cant see him getting a finish. Volk did not have any real issue on the stand up in terms of risking a KO/TKO loss, so i think if Volk can work on his stand up to push the pace and be more aggressive, his gas tank seemed to be in better condition towards the end, Islam was fading. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skuzbukit said:

If Islam couldn't tap him I doubt Ilia can, Ilia's best chance is a KO I reckon, he has the power if he can land the shot, which his high level of aggression might open up for him, but it might get him caught too cuz Volk can play sniper counters pretty well. High risk both directions, would be a fun fight.

Don't feel like Volk has faced a lot of power punchers in the UFC. I think if Ilia tapped him, it'd probably come up after knocking him down with a punch.

Could very well see Volk just out-pace him and mix it up really well. But the way he lunges in, I could see Topuria giving him a rude awakening.

Mendes knocked him down, Holloway, Islam... these guys don't have the same juice. Just something to look out for if Topuria and Volk ever cross swords.

• Like 1