Ticker Replacements

MMATycoon

Instant opinion & come back in two days...  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your instant thoughts on the proposed system

• I like a lot
    • I think I like it
    • Neutral
    • I don't think I like it
    • I definitely don't like it
    • I don't really understand what you're jibbering on about
    • I like parts of it but not others (and have explained which bits below)
  2. 2. And come back in 2 days and answer that same question again....

• I like a lot
    • I think I like it
    • Neutral
    • I don't think I like it
    • I definitely don't like it
    • I still don't really understand what you're jibbering on about
    • I like parts of it but not others (and have explained which bits below)

If I am following everything correctly, I think the quick fix, or patch, is a terrible idea. The entire reason this discussion is going on is because no one liked the tickers, and Mike nerf'd them to keep even more people from leaving the game. Now the quick fix is to make it tougher to maintain them? THEN at some point in the future, we are going to get another change to a new system?

It doesn't make them tougher at all - it means they don't even exist below a certain skill level, about 75%, then above that they'd be exactly the same as they are now.

It doesn't make them tougher at all - it means they don't even exist below a certain skill level, about 75%, then above that they'd be exactly the same as they are now.

Is this a 75% total skills? And at what skill percentage do tickers currently start?

EDIT - I guess the only thing that bugs me is that with the quick fix, it only helps the mild skilled fighters. Some of the top end fighters who are having problems with tickers and having trouble maintaining them already are still going to be just as screwed as they are now so it would only help the mid range fighters who have low tickers anyways.

I agree with Chris about the training speed needs a massive increase--just to make it more appealing to a wider audience. Not many people have the patience to wait two years before they can compete with the top guys.

I've mentioned speeding things up before but surprisingly it's always met resistance from people who like the "slow pace" of the game. Which I've never really understood. Training really doesn't take any skill, it's just basically a waiting game. What's the difference really between training a guy up to the top in six months, or doing it in two years? Both are still a decent length of time--not exactly instant gratification.

As far as the ref standups Chris mentioned--I think if those ref standups turned into scrambles where a fighters get's back to his feet, it wouldn't look so bad. To me it's completely ass-backwards. Nowadays (at least in the big promotions) there are hardly any ref standups--but guys work their way back to their feet all the time--but not so often in this game.

• Upvote 2

Is this a 75% total skills? And at what skill percentage do tickers currently start?EDIT - I guess the only thing that bugs me is that with the quick fix, it only helps the mild skilled fighters. Some of the top end fighters who are having problems with tickers and having trouble maintaining them already are still going to be just as screwed as they are now so it would only help the mid range fighters who have low tickers anyways.

I think that may be the point, the top end fighters need to be brought in some.

I may be mistaken, but current tickers work of a combination of skill values of your primary skill/secondary skill and other stuff like total skill points of each category phys/primary/secondary.

I agree with Chris about the training speed needs a massive increase--just to make it more appealing to a wider audience. Not many people have the patience to wait two years before they can compete with the top guys.I've mentioned speeding things up before but surprisingly it's always met resistance from people who like the "slow pace" of the game. Which I've never really understood. Training really doesn't take any skill, it's just basically a waiting game. What's the difference really between training a guy up to the top in six months, or doing it in two years? Both are still a decent length of time--not exactly instant gratification.As far as the ref standups Chris mentioned--I think if those ref standups turned into scrambles where a fighters get's back to his feet, it wouldn't look so bad. To me it's completely ass-backwards. Nowadays (at least in the big promotions) there are hardly any ref standups--but guys work their way back to their feet all the time--but not so often in this game.

I may b biased cuz I have new fighters, but yea I agree with speeding up training as well.

Idk, maybe. I really don't know what a 75% skilled fighter looks like, but it just seems to me that this patch really doesn't have any effect except for on the younger fighters who have to deal with physical tickers early.

at 75% (2362 skill pts to spend how you want before tickers kicked in) would be all skills a little over wonderful at 112. Keep in mind that specialized builds would look better than that. A ground fighter could look like this.

Boxing 100

Muay Thai 110

Wrestling 140

BJJ 130

Punches 110

Kicks 110

Elbows 20

Knees 20

Clinchwork 120

Striking D 130

GNP 130

TD Off 140

TD Def 90

Subs 120

Def Grap 130

Agility 120

Flexibility 120

Strength 130

Speed 130

Conditioning 130

Balance 130

at 75% (2362 skill pts to spend how you want before tickers kicked in) would be all skills a little over wonderful at 112. Keep in mind that specialized builds would look better than that. A ground fighter could look like this.

Boxing 100

Muay Thai 110

Wrestling 140

BJJ 130

Punches 110

Kicks 110

Elbows 20

Knees 20

Clinchwork 120

Striking D 130

GNP 130

TD Off 140

TD Def 90

Subs 120

Def Grap 130

Agility 120

Flexibility 120

Strength 130

Speed 130

Conditioning 130

Balance 130

Wow, those are actually some damn high stats. I didn't realize 75% was that high.

Here's my quick fix:

- Use the injury hidden as a way to push fighters into retirement through declining skill and reduced fight performances

- Keep the skills as they are now, don't add anything new

- Remove current tickers

- Implement the "behind the scenes" ticker system with a random skill "cap" based on fighter's Intelligence hidden

- Increase the training speed from Useless to Wonderful

This really seems like the perfect solution. It's simple to the point, without over thinking it. It covers every issue proposed, exception of the referee stand ups but that's a different subject.

It covers the pushin fighters closer to retirement issue.

It covers the ticker issue.

It covers the random skill cap issue, putting a cap on fighters skills.

It covers the training speed issue.

It covers the skills issue without over complicating it, and not decreasing fighters stats over night.

• Upvote 1

Here's my quick fix:

- Use the injury hidden as a way to push fighters into retirement through declining skill and reduced fight performances

- Keep the skills as they are now, don't add anything new

- Remove current tickers

- Implement the "behind the scenes" ticker system with a random skill "cap" based on fighter's Intelligence hidden

- Increase the training speed from Useless to Wonderful

This really seems like the perfect solution. It's simple to the point, without over thinking it. It covers every issue proposed, exception of the referee stand ups but that's a different subject.

It covers the pushin fighters closer to retirement issue.

It covers the ticker issue.

It covers the random skill cap issue, putting a cap on fighters skills.

It covers the training speed issue.

It covers the skills issue without over complicating it, and not decreasing fighters stats over night.

I approve of these messages.

This makes the most sense and I've read through all the bullshit in this thread. GJ Soyster.

I agree with Chris about the training speed needs a massive increase--just to make it more appealing to a wider audience. Not many people have the patience to wait two years before they can compete with the top guys.

I've mentioned speeding things up before but surprisingly it's always met resistance from people who like the "slow pace" of the game. Which I've never really understood. Training really doesn't take any skill, it's just basically a waiting game. What's the difference really between training a guy up to the top in six months, or doing it in two years? Both are still a decent length of time--not exactly instant gratification.

As far as the ref standups Chris mentioned--I think if those ref standups turned into scrambles where a fighters get's back to his feet, it wouldn't look so bad. To me it's completely ass-backwards. Nowadays (at least in the big promotions) there are hardly any ref standups--but guys work their way back to their feet all the time--but not so often in this game.

i agree on all parts. i've made two attempts at restarting this game. but usually after a few months of basically getting no place with new fighters, it's like "fuck this" and i just quit logging in.

this should not be a game where new players must go through hell and back just to be involved. speed the training up and increase fighter turnover. until that's addressed, not even getting rid of tickers will make a difference.

a game that's almost 4 years old with as loyal of a community as this one has, yet only has 6000 members should tell you immediately that something is fundamentally wrong with the core functioning of the game. if fighters never cycle out, then it only gets increasingly harder and harder for new players to bridge the gap

fighters should age faster which means less total training sessions over a career, but more skills gained per session. so it equals out. that's all that needs to be done to training

• Upvote 2

I am all for anything that adds more skill categories. Add 200 categories, I'm still ok with it. The more categories there are, the more diversified the fighters get.

I agree with Soyster's fix also. It seems like it would be much easier to code, is more simplified, and makes the most sense. Plus, I think it would have the least amount of user backlash out of any other fix ideas that have been suggested so far.

I don't know this game's code, obviously, but I have a lot of experience with web-based game dev. I can almost guarantee you that Soyster's recommendation is not even close to as "easy to code" as Mike's recommendation.

I like anything that adds more categories. More categories = more fighter diversification. I say add 20 new categories and speed up training. That way you're still popping more frequently (good for the mind) but we still get the added bonus of fighter diversification (good for the game). Of course that is a ton of work for the fight engine so I don't expect anything like that as a quick fix.

• Upvote 7

I'd almost rather do the skill cap than adding new skills. Too many potential issues/abuse with new skills and how it'll affect the engine, and I have enough skills to take care of between my 18-20 fighters. I really don't want to moniter extra skills, and think everything works fine as it is in terms of fighter attributes/skills/sliders. There's some things that need tweaking and looking into, like training speed, ref stand ups, and things involving weight advantages/disadvantages.

I do not agree with edwardsfan, fighters should not age and learn faster. Theres a reason as it is like now, and the aging speed has already been increased. If you find it hard to adept a young and new fighter keep him to the lower leagues. That is how it works, aswell as in real life. It takes time to be a champ. and the oldest fighters are already on there way down, letting younger ones taking over.

Making major changes like this would be a slap in the face to all of us whos been putting in so much time and patience to create prospects. Its a part of the game and what many people find charming. Its been this way and its a big part of the game. Deal with it.

• Upvote 1

this should not be a game where new players must go through hell and back just to be involved. speed the training up and increase fighter turnover. until that's addressed, not even getting rid of tickers will make a difference.

Speed up training?

It's fast enough as is for most people who play currently -- it's not an instant gratification game, and thus it's not suited to everyone with internet induced ADHD. The lower levels of skills could do with a small boost, but that's about it.

Fighter turnover doesn't need to be sped up so much as actually start happening.

• Upvote 2

Whatever ends up happening I just want to say I have been playing for over a year and it seems the people in charge are very active in keeping the game evolving and I just want to thank them for that. I enjoy the game and I think speeding up the game a bit would make it much more fun to play. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Speed up training?

It's fast enough as is for most people who play currently -- it's not an instant gratification game, and thus it's not suited to everyone with internet induced ADHD. The lower levels of skills could do with a small boost, but that's about it.

Fighter turnover doesn't need to be sped up so much as actually start happening.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that statement "It's fast enough as is for most people who play currently".Did you take a pol on that? Some type of all-encompassing survey that lead you to that conclusion?

I built a fighter a year ago, who just turned 22--and they're not exactly ready to crack the top ten or even top 100 for that matter. It should take two years instead? Because a year's time just flies by so fast. It just makes no sense whatsoever tha you need to plug in years and years of your life to reach the top. I mean most video games come out with a new game after a year...I haven't even encountered any MMO"S That require such an extensive investment to compete.

It seems like the common retort is, "Well fight in low level orgs then". I don't know about you, but I"m not interested in fighting in C level orgs. I want to compete with the best, and I think it's an unreasonable expectation to expect people to devote 2 years in order to do that. People get bored all the time after a couple years...just as their fighters are getting ready for the A level orgs--like say Xyel Payne for example.

• Upvote 2

I'm trying to wrap my head around that statement "It's fast enough as is for most people who play currently".Did you take a pol on that? Some type of all-encompassing survey that lead you to that conclusion?

I built a fighter a year ago, who just turned 22--and they're not exactly ready to crack the top ten or even top 100 for that matter. It should take two years instead? Because a year's time just flies by so fast. It just makes no sense whatsoever tha you need to plug in years and years of your life to reach the top. I mean most video games come out with a new game after a year...I haven't even encountered any MMO"S That require such an extensive investment to compete.

It seems like the common retort is, "Well fight in low level orgs then". I don't know about you, but I"m not interested in fighting in C level orgs. I want to compete with the best, and I think it's an unreasonable expectation to expect people to devote 2 years in order to do that. People get bored all the time after a couple years...just as their fighters are getting ready for the A level orgs--like say Xyel Payne for example.

I agree that it takes too long to get a fighter to the upper echelon of skills. My view on it isn't that the journey is too slow, it's that the target is too far away. Lower the maximum skills you can attain and you get to the "highest level" faster. It's the same as increasing training speed, except it promotes diversity.

• Upvote 1