The World Cup 2014 Thread

GBK16

He's still caught him half way up the guys shin while the ball was just rolling across the floor, no need for him to get that high. Plus he lost control of the ball making the challenge more of a 50 50 so he's not even the "ball carrier" any more, not that that should matter anyway. I agree there are times when players don't mean to make the bad challenge but if you're asking the refs to judge whether the player meant it or not then you're asking too much.

The funny thing is though, the biting really isn't that bad except for it being in extremely poor taste(pun intended). Only a little bit earlier in the game a player from Italy was tossed for going in spikes first which is much worse and probably isn't the first time that he's done that. FIFA is actually lucky Suarez bit some Italian today because it turns the attention away from the royal fuck job that was the Ivory Coast game.

In real time I can see how that may have looked like a foul, but replay clearly showed that the Greek player tripped himself up. The technology for great replay exists and in America, we use it all the time to try and eliminate the ref fuck job at the last minute of the game. When a loophole is found that stops a review, they fix it in the offseason and let the networks figure out how to make the games fit into the tv schedule.

As much as it sucks dealing with the replay breaks, it is infinity better when the players decide the game and not the ref.

He caught the knee, clear as day on replay. It was a foul all day long.

Samaras' left leg gets hooked on the knee of the IC defender and that causes him to trip against his own foot, the final contact was Samaras but it was caused by the Ivory Coast player. Anybody who has played knows thats a penalty and you know because of the reaction of the guy who committed it since he didn't protest to a great degree (sorry I don't remember the name of the guy who committed the foul).

I do agree with you on the studs but the thing about the studs is that could be interpreted as an (poor) attempt to play the ball. More of a lack of skill than a lack of respect, class and sportsmanship - which biting is. Biting is low and if I ever saw somebody bite one of my team mates on the park I'd make sure to have him later. I don't understand how people who play with him hold him in any respect? I feel no sympathy for Suarez because he deserves none, he deserve prison. Anybody else bites somebody at work you get fired. If you were to bite somebody in the bloody UFC you'd face severe discipline and that is fighting!

I agree there are times when players don't mean to make the bad challenge but if you're asking the refs to judge whether the player meant it or not then you're asking too much.

If you aren't asking refs to judge things, then what are they there for? If there is no intent, it should still be a foul, but not a red card. Red cards should be reserved for flagrant fouls, attempts to injure, and blatantly fouling to prevent an easy goal.

It really annoys me that such a nothing challenge left Italy short, then an obvious red card was missed, resulting in a goal. You can blame Italy for playing for a draw, which is football's version of leaving it in the hands of the judges, but in the end, the officials are paid to get it right and shouldn't be determining outcomes with bad calls.

The funny thing is though, the biting really isn't that bad except for it being in extremely poor taste(pun intended). Only a little bit earlier in the game a player from Italy was tossed for going in spikes first which is much worse and probably isn't the first time that he's done that. FIFA is actually lucky Suarez bit some Italian today because it turns the attention away from the royal fuck job that was the Ivory Coast game.

In real time I can see how that may have looked like a foul, but replay clearly showed that the Greek player tripped himself up. The technology for great replay exists and in America, we use it all the time to try and eliminate the ref fuck job at the last minute of the game. When a loophole is found that stops a review, they fix it in the offseason and let the networks figure out how to make the games fit into the tv schedule.

As much as it sucks dealing with the replay breaks, it is infinity better when the players decide the game and not the ref.

lol,

there is clear foul and you can see it from here:

http://youtu.be/1ynPmTfKzHg

• Upvote 1

going in with the studs is bad and shouldnt be done. But biting, seriously nobody can defend biting. The man has something seriosuly wrong with him when he bites someone. Its a girls weapon biting and he needs a ban until January or later especially since its a third time hes done it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. There is no saying for fool me thirce he needs punishment

In real time I can see how that may have looked like a foul, but replay clearly showed that the Greek player tripped himself up

If you pay attention, he there was a small tap on his foot which then made him lose his balance and trip over. It was a light foul but a foul none the less.

Group E was the only group where the American teams did not do very well. That said, Honduras and Ecuador are probably 2 of the weakest sides they had but still. I felt Switzerland was pretty good in all their games (even the beating they got from France they were good at times, just France was so clinical).

Good news then, Sky Sports News confirmed that if Suarez is found guilty (which he will be since it is obvious he did it, saying so himself in the interview) that he can be banned from ALL FOOTBALL for 2 years!

Hopefully the dirty rat gets hit hard with this incident.

• Upvote 1

Good news then, Sky Sports News confirmed that if Suarez is found guilty (which he will be since it is obvious he did it, saying so himself in the interview) that he can be banned from ALL FOOTBALL for 2 years!

Hopefully the dirty rat gets hit hard with this incident.

Ask Alf-Inge Haland or Eduardo if they would prefer a bite or a tackle with studs up. I'm sorry, a 2 year universal ban is a hyperbolic punishment for what he did.

Ask Alf-Inge Haland or Eduardo if they would prefer a bite or a tackle with studs up. I'm sorry, a 2 year universal ban is a hyperbolic punishment for what he did.

The Haland incident, I agree that Roy Keane should have been banned for a long time for that (despite the whole, "Haland harassed him when he was injured in a previous game) since Keane did it deliberately. Eduardo's case was an accident, and no malicious intent was meant (from my point of view).

Suarez has done this twice in the past. If you think 2 years is unreasonable for DELIBERATELY BITING an opponent, then I am not sure what to think of your logic. If I was caught biting someone in a workplace, I would be arrested if there was evidence. If I was considered a role model by many, then my punishment would be worse to "make an example" of me. 2 years is in no way "unreasonable" for a 3rd offence of the same nature. This is just one in a long line of incidents he has caused, and it is finally time for him to be hit with a punishment that will actually have an effect on him. No football for 2 years, he will no longer have the controversy that it seems he loves. No move to one of the worlds top teams anymore, and no Champions League football for him. None of this until he is 29, which will in effect, ruin a career he has been very privileged to have.

Again, not all spikes first tackles are equal. This one was a jump. not a slide, and it landed on the guard. Nobody got hurt, either. It wasn't a big deal. Sending him off for it is like sending a guy to prison for driving 10km over the speed limit because another guy drove 50km over the limit and killed someone.

Uruguay is now claiming that the dozens of photos taken from all different angles are all photoshopped and Suarez is innocent. Pretty ridiculous.

The Haland incident, I agree that Roy Keane should have been banned for a long time for that (despite the whole, "Haland harassed him when he was injured in a previous game) since Keane did it deliberately. Eduardo's case was an accident, and no malicious intent was meant (from my point of view).

Suarez has done this twice in the past. If you think 2 years is unreasonable for DELIBERATELY BITING an opponent, then I am not sure what to think of your logic. If I was caught biting someone in a workplace, I would be arrested if there was evidence. If I was considered a role model by many, then my punishment would be worse to "make an example" of me. 2 years is in no way "unreasonable" for a 3rd offence of the same nature. This is just one in a long line of incidents he has caused, and it is finally time for him to be hit with a punishment that will actually have an effect on him. No football for 2 years, he will no longer have the controversy that it seems he loves. No move to one of the worlds top teams anymore, and no Champions League football for him. None of this until he is 29, which will in effect, ruin a career he has been very privileged to have.

I will reiterate, I believe a two year ban, which is if I understand the rules correctly the LONGEST POSSIBLE BAN FIFA can hand out, is hyperbolic. The point I was trying to make was that a ban of that size has to be reserved for only the worst offenses. I'm sorry, biting an opponent is a disgusting thing to and the fact that hes done it before makes it all the more disgusting but if you honestly think that is the worst offense someone could do on the pitch you must have an interesting set of values. For example, in my opinion, a horrific tackle that in effect ends a players career (Haland), or is so brutal that they wouldnt even show replays (Eduardo) is categorically worse. Whether or not there was any malicious intent in the tackle on Eduardo is irrelevant, the dude came in recklessly, to use your words an example needs be made, if he got a two year ban (which I think is much too excessive even in this case) you can be damn sure players will be more careful in the future.

To put this in more perspective let me give you some examples from outside soccer. I dont know how much you know about other sports but you may have heard of the incident involving Ron Artest (now known as Meta World Peace) when he jumped into the stands and beat the shit out of some fans. He got the equivalent of one season. Or in the world of hockey there was the time Alexander Perezhogin was banned for about one season for an absolutely slash which left his victim unconsious, concussed and missing some teeth.

Think about your priorities for one second. Does Suarez really deserve the maximum ban?

Again, not all spikes first tackles are equal. This one was a jump. not a slide, and it landed on the guard. Nobody got hurt, either. It wasn't a big deal. Sending him off for it is like sending a guy to prison for driving 10km over the speed limit because another guy drove 50km over the limit and killed someone.

I'm fully aware of that, I wasn't even thinking about Marchisio's tackle. My point was basically to say there are much much worse offences which both have been and will be committed which a much longer ban than Suarez's bite.

I wonder why is taking so long for FIFA to announce the punishment Suarez is going to take.

Long? This would take the English FA a month to work out, not 3 days xD

He deserves a lengthly global ban, at least untill January but it wont happen... They'll bottle it, I'll be surprised if he gets anything worse than a 10 international game ban

Thank god you are not making the decisions. You do not get rid of one of the best 5-6 players in the world for biting someone. I think this biting is something like a jerk reaction he has. Not sure what it is, however one thing is certain that this is nowhere near as bad as a deliberate knee, elbow, headbutt or kick. I know it looks weird, but put it in prospective, how many of those "victims" he has bitten got injured? It is really not that bad. It is just entertaining if anything, lol. People want to see the best players, they care less about their off pitch antics, they care less if he likes to bite someone once every year. In fact i would pay money to watch Suarez bite someone while i was in the stands.

I would put him a serious fine and that would be it.

• Downvote 3

Thank god you are not making the decisions. You do not get rid of one of the best 5-6 players in the world for biting someone. I think this biting is something like a jerk reaction he has. Not sure what it is, however one thing is certain that this is nowhere near as bad as a deliberate knee, elbow, headbutt or kick. I know it looks weird, but put it in prospective, how many of those "victims" he has bitten got injured? It is really not that bad. It is just entertaining if anything, lol. People want to see the best players, they care less about their off pitch antics, they care less if he likes to bite someone once every year. In fact i would pay money to watch Suarez bite someone while i was in the stands.

I would put him a serious fine and that would be it.

Seriously? You think just because he is one of the best players in the world that he shouldn't be banned? If it is just a jerk reaction he has, then that doesn't matter. The point is that he deliberately bit a player, something he has received 7 game bans and 10 game bans for in the past. That is pretty much what is wrong with society as a whole nowadays. If you are famous and one of the best in your field, you automatically seem to get hit with lower punishments than normal people. I may want to see Suarez play since he is a great player, but if he bites someone, he deserves to be banned, not just a crappy little fine that he pays off with 2 weeks wages.

I will reiterate, I believe a two year ban, which is if I understand the rules correctly the LONGEST POSSIBLE BAN FIFA can hand out, is hyperbolic. The point I was trying to make was that a ban of that size has to be reserved for only the worst offenses. I'm sorry, biting an opponent is a disgusting thing to and the fact that hes done it before makes it all the more disgusting but if you honestly think that is the worst offense someone could do on the pitch you must have an interesting set of values. For example, in my opinion, a horrific tackle that in effect ends a players career (Haland), or is so brutal that they wouldnt even show replays (Eduardo) is categorically worse. Whether or not there was any malicious intent in the tackle on Eduardo is irrelevant, the dude came in recklessly, to use your words an example needs be made, if he got a two year ban (which I think is much too excessive even in this case) you can be damn sure players will be more careful in the future.

To put this in more perspective let me give you some examples from outside soccer. I dont know how much you know about other sports but you may have heard of the incident involving Ron Artest (now known as Meta World Peace) when he jumped into the stands and beat the shit out of some fans. He got the equivalent of one season. Or in the world of hockey there was the time Alexander Perezhogin was banned for about one season for an absolutely slash which left his victim unconsious, concussed and missing some teeth.

Think about your priorities for one second. Does Suarez really deserve the maximum ban?

I'm fully aware of that, I wasn't even thinking about Marchisio's tackle. My point was basically to say there are much much worse offences which both have been and will be committed which a much longer ban than Suarez's bite.

He deserves the maximum ban for this incident. In my opinion, if you deliberately assault another player, you should be banned for a MINIMUM of 15 games, with more added on depending on the severity. I classify biting into this, and since it is his third offence of the same kind (not including his racism) he should be hit with about a 30 game ban starting immediately (banned from International, Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup). Sure, the ban would be over by around December/January but it will still take a chunk out of his season. As for people that attack fans and referees, they deserve about a minimum of 20 game/1 year bans from football. Just to take an example of how FIFA has handed out Global Bans in the past:

There was a 16 year old footballer around 3-4 years ago called Marko Livaja. He wanted to sign for Inter Milan, and refused to do a number of things that was expected of him as a Hajduk Split player. FIFA gave him a global ban for it of about 1 year. Now, if you get a global ban just for refusing to do something, you should be hit with a global ban for assaulting fans/referees. Assaulting a player should go by slightly less harsh guidelines to this. I would give Suarez either a 30 game ban, or a global ban of 8 months. Regardless of him being one of the best players in the world, he should not be acting like this.

I also can't see how Mentor's idea of giving him a fine would work. He was hit with a 7 game ban at Ajax and a 10 game ban at Liverpool. Why should he only get a fine on his 3rd offence?

http://www.ghanafa.org/pages/blackstars/201406/9722.php

http://www.ghanafa.org/pages/blackstars/201406/9723.php

Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have both been suspended by the Ghana FA from the squad.

Muntari for physically attacking a board member and Boateng for insulting the Ghana coach during a training session.