The World Cup 2014 Thread

GBK16

It's not done yet, guys. It's a very expected thing that Italy beats both Costa Rica and Uruguay. England is still in the game. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Italy wont do us 2 favors. If they win tomorrow (which they should), they will most likely put a weakened side against Uruguay because even with a draw they will go through in first place. I think that is what will happen. Italy will win 2-0 against Costa Rica and draw 1-1 with Uruguay, with England winning 2-1. Knowing our history it will go down the the wire, we will score the 2nd goal around the 81st minute and Italy will concede a late 89th minute goal via a Suarez strike. England always make it difficult for themselves and then fight like a dog with rabies trying to cover the lost ground.

We deserved at least a draw in the Uruguay game and we could debate a draw in the Italy game as well, but we ended up with 0 points out of both, mostly due to minor mistakes or lack of concentration. Anyway, i am pretty pissed off with the result. At least Greece managed to keep it at 0-0 even though playing almost 55 minutes with 10 men.

• Downvote 1

Italy wont do us 2 favors. If they win tomorrow (which they should), they will most likely put a weakened side against Uruguay because even with a draw they will go through in first place. I think that is what will happen. Italy will win 2-0 against Costa Rica and draw 1-1 with Uruguay, with England winning 2-1. Knowing our history it will go down the the wire, we will score the 2nd goal around the 81st minute and Italy will concede a late 89th minute goal via a Suarez strike. England always make it difficult for themselves and then fight like a dog with rabies trying to cover the lost ground.

We deserved at least a draw in the Uruguay game and we could debate a draw in the Italy game as well, but we ended up with 0 points out of both, mostly due to minor mistakes or lack of concentration. Anyway, i am pretty pissed off with the result. At least Greece managed to keep it at 0-0 even though playing almost 55 minutes with 10 men.

imho England was involved in the two best matches in the WC so far... both games could have ended in a draw or even with England winning, actually.

why do we have to be losing to give it a go, as soon as we went a goal down and changed to more attacking players we had uruguay on the back foot. we need to be ballsy and start the game with our most exciting players. henderson is boring, passing sideways or backwards, we should have had wiltshire playing instead (and i'm saying this as a spurs fan). and as for wellbeck he should be nowhere near an england team until he learns how to play football, making wrong choices time after time.

why do we have to be losing to give it a go, as soon as we went a goal down and changed to more attacking players we had uruguay on the back foot. we need to be ballsy and start the game with our most exciting players. henderson is boring, passing sideways or backwards, we should have had wiltshire playing instead (and i'm saying this as a spurs fan). and as for wellbeck he should be nowhere near an england team until he learns how to play football, making wrong choices time after time.

Wilshire should be in for Henderson for sure (another Spurs fan). I am not even sure what Henderson is doing in the England team, a year ago he was considered a flop. I know his season was better this year, but still. I was never a fan of Wellbeck, especially on the wing. He lacks the dribbling and crossing ability, he is not that nimble on his feet as well. Lallana was not bad when he came in, so maybe he could do better on the wings despite his lack of pace.

The total truth is that overall we are not that good, especially when it comes to creativity (in fact we were never the most creative team in any tournament, let alone now). The only way we could go ahead is if we played with a lot more grit and passion. I also think we could out work 90% of the teams via our fitness, even in this heat. So unless we go all out pressing, try to force a quicker pace + mistakes, we were never going to go very far. We always went into games way too cautious and it always worked against us.

• Downvote 1

Really looking forward to Schweiz - France... was a bit disappointed with the first game of Switzerland, they can do much better... the squad is packed, there was no spot for guys like Pirmin Schwegler for example who really made a great developement. And they really have a talented young offense with great future - Mehmedi, Drmic, the fantastic Shaq of course, ....

I remember missing an England goal in the last World Cup (I think) when the screen just completely turned black for about 30 seconds, comes back on and Gerrard's celebrating :D