The World Cup 2014 Thread

GBK16

another day of fun games, this is one of the best world cups i've seen so far!

Yeah, loads of goals and very open in a lot of the games. I think the goal % per game must be one of the highest ever. Very few draws and even less 0 on the scorecards.

• Downvote 1

well that was entertaining, honest positive about Englands future. to think we have the Ox and Townsend injured but young and ready. Only worry is the future of our central defensive positions. Cahills got a good couple more tourneys in him but are Jones/Smalling etc. good enough? today they were solid but in general.

I was watching Italy vs Uruguay. Uruguay 1 x 0 Italy. Italy out. Epic game. Uruguay recovers, beating two world champions in a row, after starting poorly against Costa Rica. Pretty solid story.

But Suarez is just inexplicable. In the middle of the match. He bites. Another. Defender. Chiellini to be exact. Ref didn't see it. But people are already talking punishment, and he could be out of the World Cup.

I was watching Italy vs Uruguay. Uruguay 1 x 0 Italy. Italy out. Epic game. Uruguay recovers, beating two world champions in a row, after starting poorly against Costa Rica. Pretty solid story.

But Suarez is just inexplicable. In the middle of the match. He bites. Another. Defender. Chiellini. Ref didn't see it. But people are already talking punishment, and he SHOULD be out of the World Cup.

fixed.

• Upvote 1

can't believe he did that again, the red mist descended upon him....

I think it is more a great hunger for human flesh more than red mist haha

But if you look at his previous offences, he got:

7 game ban for biting a Otman Bakkal while at Ajax

10 game ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic while at Liverpool

Now, since this is the first time it has happened while on International Duty, I am not sure if FIFA will punish him in terms of Suspension for club games as well. In my opinion, this is his 3rd strike (if you don't include the racism) so I think he should have a global ban placed on him.

Going by their previous logic, they will ban him for between 13-15 games, but I think he should receive at least a 20 game ban and removal from International Selection for 4 years, meaning he wont play for Uruguay again until he is 31. Now, I am saying this is the bare minimum, I would hope he receives much more. He has had a bad attitude from early on in his career, and it doesn't seem like it will end very soon.

Punishing him, while taking into account this is his 4th offence which is a serious breach of FIFA rules, should remove him from the game for a long time. Liverpool should have tried to sell him before the World Cup, since I don't believe he will be worth any more than he was at the end of the season anymore until he retires.

I found it ironic though, that he claimed he wanted to leave Liverpool for Champions League football, and now he has gotten them there, he most likely won't be able to play the majority of the games for Liverpool, hopefully none of them.

Third bite in 4 years.

It would be interesting to know what makes him behave like that. I know he just snaps for a second but why he always bites?

I think he said in an interview after the match, something like "things sometimes get heated and we do things we don't normally do".

No doubt some form of psychological problem or something will be uncovered as the reason, but he should be banned for a long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it is more a great hunger for human flesh more than red mist haha

But if you look at his previous offences, he got:

7 game ban for biting a Otman Bakkal while at Ajax

10 game ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic while at Liverpool

Now, since this is the first time it has happened while on International Duty, I am not sure if FIFA will punish him in terms of Suspension for club games as well. In my opinion, this is his 3rd strike (if you don't include the racism) so I think he should have a global ban placed on him.

Going by their previous logic, they will ban him for between 13-15 games, but I think he should receive at least a 20 game ban and removal from International Selection for 4 years, meaning he wont play for Uruguay again until he is 31. Now, I am saying this is the bare minimum, I would hope he receives much more. He has had a bad attitude from early on in his career, and it doesn't seem like it will end very soon.

Punishing him, while taking into account this is his 4th offence which is a serious breach of FIFA rules, should remove him from the game for a long time. Liverpool should have tried to sell him before the World Cup, since I don't believe he will be worth any more than he was at the end of the season anymore until he retires.

I found it ironic though, that he claimed he wanted to leave Liverpool for Champions League football, and now he has gotten them there, he most likely won't be able to play the majority of the games for Liverpool, hopefully none of them.

They won't ban him domestically, it makes me sick but the BPL and scousers won't let that happen. Suarez is worth too much money and the panel will bottle the suspension.

I think he said in an interview after the match, something like "things sometimes get heated and we do things we don't normally do".

No doubt some form of psychological problem or something will be uncovered as the reason, but he should be banned for a long time.

Post-match he said "Things happen in the box and it gets heated" he then later said "we were chest to chest and their was a connection/collision". They are obviously translated but that's what MOTD read had Liniker read out.

Great game for Greece! At least one of my teams are through and we are up against Costa Rica! I do not rate them at all and i do not care that they got #1 place. We actually have a chance for qualification to the 1/8.

As for Suarez, i have no idea what to say about him and his pit-bull antics. He does shit like this all the time and i think it is a psychological issue, so there is not much anyone can do. If he was not as good as he was, he would not be playing football at all. He is a time bomb ready to explode at any moment. Anyway, lets see what FIFA will do about this little puppy.

The funny thing is though, the biting really isn't that bad except for it being in extremely poor taste(pun intended). Only a little bit earlier in the game a player from Italy was tossed for going in spikes first which is much worse and probably isn't the first time that he's done that. FIFA is actually lucky Suarez bit some Italian today because it turns the attention away from the royal fuck job that was the Ivory Coast game.

In real time I can see how that may have looked like a foul, but replay clearly showed that the Greek player tripped himself up. The technology for great replay exists and in America, we use it all the time to try and eliminate the ref fuck job at the last minute of the game. When a loophole is found that stops a review, they fix it in the offseason and let the networks figure out how to make the games fit into the tv schedule.

As much as it sucks dealing with the replay breaks, it is infinity better when the players decide the game and not the ref.

• Downvote 2

The thing about biting is that it's not a heat of the moment thing like that tackle earlier in the game was. It's off the ball, he's just ran over to Chiellini and bit him.

Also the Greece game, think it was clearly a penalty. He did kick the back of his own foot but only because he had kicked the Ivorian's leg just before (which he had stretched out to try and intercept the pass).

The funny thing is though, the biting really isn't that bad except for it being in extremely poor taste(pun intended). Only a little bit earlier in the game a player from Italy was tossed for going in spikes first which is much worse and probably isn't the first time that he's done that.

Biting is 1000x times worse than that silly spikes first red card. People blow it way out of proportion when a guy goes in spikes first. Nobody got hurt, nobody even went to the ground. It happens unintentionally sometimes, so I wish the rules weren't so harsh about it. Biting, on the other hand, is just about the most disgusting thing one human can do to another next to pulling down his pants and taking a shit on him.

• Upvote 1

The funny thing is though, the biting really isn't that bad except for it being in extremely poor taste(pun intended). Only a little bit earlier in the game a player from Italy was tossed for going in spikes first which is much worse and probably isn't the first time that he's done that.

Biting is 1000x times worse than that silly spikes first red card. People blow it way out of proportion when a guy goes in spikes first. Nobody got hurt, nobody even went to the ground. It happens unintentionally sometimes, so I wish the rules weren't so harsh about it. Biting, on the other hand, is just about the most disgusting thing one human can do to another next to pulling down his pants and taking a shit on him.

Are you saying it depends on if someone gets hurt as to whether they get sent off or not? It really has no relevance

Are you saying it depends on if someone gets hurt as to whether they get sent off or not? It really has no relevance

I'm saying that not all spikes first tackles are equal. An unintentional one to the shin guard is nothing to get worked up about, especially since it was the ball carrier who did it. He didn't put anyone at risk of serious injury and he didn't take away a scoring chance. I know it is a red card under the current rules, but the rules are way too harsh in this respect. Save the red cards for malicious fouls.