The World Cup 2014 Thread

GBK16

France looked great today. Still think the winner is definetly going to come from Europe but now I've gotta put France above Italy as contenders. Germany still my top pick.

The concacaf teams have been really impressive this world cup in my opinion, I dont think it is that weak of a confederation any more. Mexico looks good and but for 2 disallowed goals would have spanked cameroon. costa rica looks genuinely impressive as I'm sure all the English on the forum has seen. The US did just enough to beat what I think is the best team in Africa. And Honduras played as good if not better than ecuador today. What do you think?

France looked great today. Still think the winner is definetly going to come from Europe but now I've gotta put France above Italy as contenders. Germany still my top pick.

The concacaf teams have been really impressive this world cup in my opinion, I dont think it is that weak of a confederation any more. Mexico looks good and but for 2 disallowed goals would have spanked cameroon. costa rica looks genuinely impressive as I'm sure all the English on the forum has seen. The US did just enough to beat what I think is the best team in Africa. And Honduras played as good if not better than ecuador today. What do you think?

France and Germany have looked good as well as the Dutch, only Argentina can stop a European team winning (unless Brazil change it up a bit).

France and Germany have looked good as well as the Dutch, only Argentina can stop a European team winning (unless Brazil change it up a bit).

Argentina looked terrible IMO opinion, worse than Brazil. They had no flow and created almost no chances. 5 secs of brilliance from Messi plus an extremely lucky own goal were all they got.

As I've said before I dont think the Dutch have a legitimate chance. Aside from Robben and Van Persie they are average. I expect chile to beat them on Monday.

Ok i found the article about the Costa Rica doping incident:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/fifa-tries-to-explain-why-seven-costa-ricans-were-drug-tested-after-win-over-italy/

Apparently they were not convicted, just they assumed they must be doping because they beat 2 teams they were suppose to lose to

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ok i found the article about the Costa Rica doping incident:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/fifa-tries-to-explain-why-seven-costa-ricans-were-drug-tested-after-win-over-italy/

Apparently they were not convicted, just they assumed they must be doping because they beat 2 teams they were suppose to lose to

they should test the brazilians too, they are not supposed to be playing that badly.

• Upvote 1

Nice goal at the end by Messi.

Being American I'm obviously not into the game like many of the people here but because of you fellas I have been more interested in the World Cup and in learning more in general about the sport. (That goes into other things as well. For instance the Finnish presence on this game made me more interested in learning about The Winter War)

If someone could help a little with a question I have that would be fantastic. How would the football championships around the world be ranked in order of importance? Like where would winning the Premier League be compared to winning the World Cup?

Internationally, its:

1. World Cup

2. Depending on nationality: Euros or Copa America (i think) or African Nations.

Domestically - Club Competitions:

1. European Champions League (teams qualify via success in domestic leagues)

2. Domestic League Championships such as Premier League = Serie A = La Liga= Bundesliga (it really depends again on nationality), but these are the strongest leagues.

3. Domestic Cup

4. Other European cups - but the top top teams don't take them seriously, they drain squads through travel, injury etc.

English club supporters would quite often put a League Title, like the Premier League more important than the Euro Champions League, especially if they haven't won the league for years. This is because of the intense rivalry at work, school etc between domestic supporters. i.e. you work in a factory as a Liverpool supporter among Manchester United fans, they will be more pissed that they havent won the title for years and have taken a lot of abuse over the years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nice goal at the end by Messi.

Being American I'm obviously not into the game like many of the people here but because of you fellas I have been more interested in the World Cup and in learning more in general about the sport. (That goes into other things as well. For instance the Finnish presence on this game made me more interested in learning about The Winter War)

If someone could help a little with a question I have that would be fantastic. How would the football championships around the world be ranked in order of importance? Like where would winning the Premier League be compared to winning the World Cup?

they got lucky they even shot a goal

I would've once rather seen Ipswich win the FA cup than any other competition (inc prem) but no it's been devalued since the prems entertainment has gone up.

I hate how Messi plays crap for 85 minutes, constantly giving the ball away and skilling one player just to get tackled by another BUT then he scores a great goal (never take it away from him) and everybody acts like he;s Jesus or some shit.

Ok, i think we can officially remove all the favorites. I think Costa Rica will win it now. Nobody has been convincing to me so far. One other interesting fact is that football has changed so much. Do you guys remember the days when possession usually meant you won? In this WC usually it means you loose because the team with the lower possession tends to be on the D, meaning more opportunity to counter attack or make a steal and score when the other team is not prepared.

In fact i think teams such as France and Netherlands deliberately play a lower line to draw the opposition higher up creating much more space. I think this world cup is easily the most open so far.

• Downvote 1

Hope USA vs Port will be a draw, leave it wide open if so. Ideally wanted Ghana to win and Portugal to win tomorrow and leave all teams on 3 points going into the last game haha

yeah thats great for excitement, but not good for my blood pressure hehe. depending on how USA vs PORTUGAL will end it could still be a close group. at least i will have a restfull sleep